What Book Are You Reading?

Guest Canadiano

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Canadiano
Originally posted by Kr430n5_666

jesus' son

the movie did no justice to the book, from what I hear. Macross, if you're in a decent position in the book, like halfway or whatever, do you give it a thumbs up? I hear Denis Johnson is sick, but I dunno.

Just finished perks of being a wallflower...its ok....i heard it was great but i didnt think it was that great....its an easy read.i finished it in one sitting

Finished dharma bums for the second time..this book def changed my life. its an unbeleivable book.. it takes forever to read tho...i found myself stopping every 30 min to think bout what i just read

im reading on the road right now because i heard it was supposed to be better than dharma bums but i think its just a "pop" version of dhamra bums

Originally posted by Canadiano

*edit - rage, stop with the firsties bullshit. that is kindergarten styles, and even when I was in JK, I woulda gave you a bleeding nose. for real, you fuckers need to watch 90210 and understand what cool is before you decide to do this firsties bullshit.

:king: :king:

the movie did no justice to the book, from what I hear. Macross, if you're in a decent position in the book, like halfway or whatever, do you give it a thumbs up? I hear Denis Johnson is sick, but I dunno.

yo man... just curious, but have you (or anyone else who reads alot) ever come across a movie that was better than it's literary counterpart ?

i've havent come across a movie yet where i thought, yeah that was heaps better than the book. i guess i must just have a more creative imagination than most of the movie producers out there.. j/k

Guest Canadiano

avils, the only thing I can come up with after a moment's thinking would be The Godfather by Mario Puzo. The book was amazing, and the movie was just as good (if memory serves me right). I've read the book enough times, but it was years ago the last time I read it; same goes for the movie. At least the movie had sequels, no?

Originally posted by nicio

Finished dharma bums for the second time..this book def changed my life. its an unbeleivable book.. it takes forever to read tho...i found myself stopping every 30 min to think bout what i just read

im reading on the road right now because i heard it was supposed to be better than dharma bums but i think its just a "pop" version of dhamra bums

I found Dharma Bums to be more of an essay type deal. On the Road was written more as a novel. Dharma definitely made me reflect, but On The Road had a great story. Both are amazing. Big Sur is next on my list.

I just finished Choke by dude who wrote Fight Club. It's top notch.

zesto, i'd be interested to read your screenplay - gluetown@hotmail.com and anybody else who feels like sharing, feel free to go ahead and send your work too.

right now i'm working through faulkner's _the sound and the fury_ for the first time since i read it in high school five years ago in hopes that i'll make more sense of it this time. as far as poetry goes.. rereading wright's _the night world and the world night_ whenever i feel the urge, and kleinzhaler's _green sees things in waves_ too.

i've picked through denis johnson's _the incognito lounge_ and have liked what i've read so far.

oh shit the movie is great, but nothing like the book. they skip and add a lot of things...the book is more fucked up. the book is great. please buy it. our world sucks.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by avils

yo man... just curious, but have you (or anyone else who reads alot) ever come across a movie that was better than it's literary counterpart ?

Hannibal. The book was total pants, the movie was ok/good. Definitely better than the book though.

The Day of the Jackal. Great book, but absolutely stunning movie. Beer,

El Mamerro

^^ goddamn coffee drinking, unhygeinic, self-exploring hippie.

*edit - for nicio.

:lol: :lol: :lol: hahaha...Its more like ive never been exposed to that kind of lifestyle before... it changed my perspective on a lot of things

Crime and Punishment : Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Tibetan Book Of The Dead : W.Y. Evans-Wentz

Demanding The Impossible, A History Of Anarchism

Scotland, A Concise History

Teach Yourself Gaelic

i think my brain might burst though, i've left the Tibetan Book Of The Dead for now, but totally into the Crime and Punishment, a perfect book for sharpening your cynicism and paranoia

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by El Mamerro

The Day of the Jackal. Great book, but absolutely stunning movie.

true!

I based an Huge report on the Charles De Gaulle item.

I showed and excert and even 'put a berret on my wang' (Homer quote)

The movie was such a classic thriller, and it held true to the themes.

Oh.. you're talking about the first movie right?

Another example, The Shining.

Sure it wasn't really all that true to the book, and there were massive omissions,

but the style that Kubrick used gives the film a life of it's own.

simply, Kubrick was a better director than Stephen King is a writer.

Guest Canadiano

I hear that a new Hannibal movie is coming out called Hannibal the Conquerer. It's starring Vin Diesel. I still haven't read Crime and Punishment, but I hear it's good. The only Dostoevsky I read was House of the Dead, and the school made me give it back when I had just a few chapters left. Never picked it back up after that.

Guest Canadiano

you might be right about the title, but on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Vin himself said he'll be starring in Hannibal the Conquerer, and it will be written by the dude who wrote Gladiator. He mentioned some other sick movie said dude wrote, but I don't remember.

Guest --zeSto--

^ haha.. I'm talking about Hanibal LECTOR !!

so yeah.. there's a pre-story to Silence of the Lambs coming out.

I havent heard about this Vin Disel project, but it's probably true.

now I'm super excited for this....

Russel Crowe in MASTER AND COMMANDER !!

I dont know if anyone if familiar with this Patrick O'Brien series,

but it's the biggest nautical fiction out there. He's doing for Naval England

what Stephen King did for Paperback horror.

sooo... excited!

and...

There mayking a book I read recenty, TIMELINE by Michael Crichton into a feature. woo hoo!

Don't you think HIV positive people should have that tattooed onto their hands? I do.

Great idea! Maybe you should make them some stars to wear as well :rolleyes:

TWAT. *you* don't want AIDS, *you* look after yourself - don't expect other people to do it for you - that's a surefire way to get AIDS.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

The Jackal? Hell no, I have no intentions to let Bruce Willis ruin the wonder of that movie for me.

Red Dragon's gonna be dope... they can't possibly fuck up Anthopny Hopkins and Edward Norton in a movie together.

I'm scared of Timeline... that book was responisble for getting me back into physics, wonderful read and again, just as in Jurassic Park, he makes shit veeery believeable. The problem is that some of his books that get made into movies blow goats... the exceptions being JP, Andromeda Strain, Rising Sun, and Disclosure among others. But then you have Congo, Sphere, The 13th Warrior (Eaters of the Dead)... this could go wrong here. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest im not witty

im reading jitterbug perfume by tom robbins. he is hilarious. this is the 5th book of his ive read in a row, still life with woopecker, half asleep in frog pajamas, fierce invalids home from hot climates, another roadside attraction. all great kinky funny as fuck books. i need to switch it up though, im becoming immersed in his style which is very distinctive.

and fight club was equally as good a movie as book, even though i saw it before i read it. but chuck pasd;flkdlnuik or whatever is sick too, invisible monsters, choke are awesome books

Guest Canadiano
Originally posted by bodice_ripper

Great idea! Maybe you should make them some stars to wear as well :rolleyes:

TWAT. *you* don't want AIDS, *you* look after yourself - don't expect other people to do it for you - that's a surefire way to get AIDS.

damn, girl, I'm just saying my piece here. I got the idea from that right wing bastard who was running for president in France. I forget his name, but that was one of his good ideas. I do look after myself like crazy, but I'm saying that it would be a great way to keep people in check. I don't know, maybe I didn't think too hard about it, but these days, you see a lot of AIDS patients who appear to be very healthy. You know they have those homosexual sex clubs where condoms are not allowed, and the very mention of protection can get you booted. How deviant is that??? There, you have big, buff sexual deviants who are infecting next men who are clean, so to speak, and no one cares. Why? Medication takes care of them. They can live long, healthy, fruitful (no pun intended) lives. It's all fucked up, and that's why I think they should have a small tattoo on their hands that indicate that the person is infected. If not on the hand, then somewhere on the body. That way, at least if you're gonna have sex, look first before entering. This is a serious epedemic, even in the western world, and people spread that shit on purpose. And hey, those homosexuals really should get it tattooed on their face, because a lot of them are the deviants who spread in their community most. It's a fact that in Toronto, HIV is a big 'problem' in the homo community. Dammit, most of those infected fuckers are god damn hardcore deviants! anyway, i may not make sense, 'cuz a good episode of TNG is on.

Archived