CLOWN interview, you all should read...

Guest postaholic

Guest postaholic

look, i know this should go in 'THIRD RAIL' ...but i'd rather it be in here, so that when i read your witty responses :D ...its not all complete bullshit and a buncha wanna-be writers with no clue what they are talking about, that are replying. thanks in advance.

(ps- if you want to copy it again in third rail for those nerds... be my guest.)

on with the interview from PHANTOM magazine ISSUE#5:

THE MAG: "Loosely based around questions intended for an interview, we bring you the CLOWN MANIFESTO..."

CLOWN: "I remember when i first started writing. Everybody would say 'thats my style' or 'dont bite my style' and now everybody is saying 'those are my letters' or 'i dont like his letters'. This bothers me because all simple letters already exist within themselves. Take a 'C' for instance. You can only manipulate it so much until its not even a 'C' anymore.

Knowing this you have to realise the 'C', and every other letter, has its boundaries. Its similar to the idea that people can cheat with computers to win the lottery. They have a print out of every possible number combination , spend a dollar for each combination, beat the system, and win billions, only spending a fraction of the amount of the money to win.

Given this knowledge, you can systematically take a letter, and manipulate it every possible way and it will eventually end. There is only so many ways to manipulate each symbol in any language and still take on the characteristics which makes each symbol unique.

Now if all the letter styles already exist within the laws of the universe, there is no originality in anybody's letters. We are like scientists discovering the truth which has always been there. The difference with our culture is that we, as writers, we get angry when someone else uses our discovery. The writer should be proud that he/she did something to benefit the growth of our culture.

So the letters are confined. It is the style that you attach to the letters that is chaotic and has no set patterns. A computer cant understand style. its not a systematic process. The style comes from within and is the structureless structure, free to take on the form of any physical substance, or any emotion. So style is infinite within each writer, unlike letters.

So why do some writers continue doing the same style year after year? not only are the letters predictable, so are their personalities. These people are afraid to try something new, afraid to explore themselves. And most likely afraid of what others think. Some writers only bomb or piece and ridicule the other, but they dont understand that without the other, the single minded writers preferable form of graffiti doesnt exist.

My favorite practicioners of the art are the ones who have just started and dont even realise the possible life altering effects it brings. All they know is they love seeing itand they love doing it. The styles they come up with are even beter. They have no understanding of what they're doing and why they're doint it. But its still with all of their heart. This is ofcourse, before they have to deal with the politics of graffiti or even know that it exists.

Graffiti itself politically exists, ironically enough, by being the last uncontrollable, lawless act of self-expression, yet it still has a set of rules. One of the oldest sayings is: 'treat otehrs how you want to be treated'. So once the newwriter learns of these rules, that's when their ego is born and when everything beautiful about graffiti is lost. I find it ironic that a writer can hit a spot, disrespecting a business owner and feeling okay about it, and contradict themselves when another writer paints the same spot, feeling as if they were disrespected. When the person who painted next to them thinks and acts just like them. So from that experience, the writer who feels disrespected will hold a grudge or even hate the other person when really they are exactly the same person as the person they are hating, subconsciously hating themselves.

All these politics you people live by take the fun and self-awareness out of this art form. Graffiti used to be fun before i realised that in tha same culturei was apart of, were jock and gangster mentalities and really a bunch of losers that found something to be proud of and turned it into something I'm ashamed to say I was ever apart of. Graffiti drama is worse than Melrose Place. You people love to start problems and hear about others problems and that is your problem.

I'm not pointing fingers or claiming to be innocent of these accusations. We're all guilty of this cinematic behabior. But I have finnally overcome this. Graffiti is not worth having enemies over or experiencing grief for. Like I said, Graffiti used to be fun, but nowadays it's jut a bunch of bullshit. The best thing i ever did for myself was when i stopped being a graffiti writer and became a guy who just occasionally paints graffiti. SO all you people have fun with your soap opera and i'll have fun painting with people who paint to have fun and share the goal of advancing the essence of Graffiti.

Self knowledge is the basis of graffiti because it is effective not only for the individuals' style but for their life as a human-being.

AMEN.HALLELUJAH, and feel sorry for the kids who had to play with neon-colored GI joe figures."

enjoy :king:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest postaholic

i hope you all take the time to read that shit, took me forever to type it out. I also hope you change some of your view points on graffiti, after thinking about the wise words that CLOWN said.

i know for fact it changed alot of my viewpoints, and holds alot of ground.

:D

Guest --zeSto--

I have that interview and have recycled this comment often around these parts.

The best thing i ever did for myself was when i stopped being a graffiti writer and became a guy who just occasionally paints graffiti.

AMEN !

Guest beardo

one of the best things ever written about graff in my opinion. clown became one of my favorite writers after i read that.

HE SHOULD STOP THINKING SO HARD

I HATE GRAFFITI ANALYISIS... IF I WANTED TO TALK ABOUT THE FUNDAMENTALS OF GRAFF WITH MIDWESTERN DICKHEADS THAT DON'T EVEN GET UP I'D BE ON ONE OF THESE OTHER GAY FORUMS...

PLUS I NEVER SAW THIS FAG'S SHIT EXCEPT MAYBE ONCE IN A FLICK, SO I COULD CARE LESS...

SOMEBODY CLOSE THIS CORNY POST

Guest --zeSto--

^ just for the record...

Clown's up a hell of a lot. I know he was in California some time ago.

Guys laid some serioius groundwork. You got to give him that.

Guest postaholic
Originally posted by beardo

one of the best things ever written about graff in my opinion. clown became one of my favorite writers after i read that.

i agree 100%.

and MARLBORO RED- i know tons of kids know who CLOWN is, i wonder how many know who you are? :rolleyes:

Guest postaholic
Originally posted by MARLBORO RED

PROBABLY A LOT... BUT I HOPE YOU'RE NEVER ONE OF THEM

i probaly wont unless i find myself in a gated comunity in an all white neighborhood somewhere in tha NYC, and happen to trip on your blackbook. we all know your a sketch book king!

lose tha fake thug image you try to portray, and the fubu tshirt, and take tha tin foil off your fronts, and quit watching Master P videos and thinking your hard, cuz you get crunk in your living room while your moms runs the sweeper.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Canadiano

in my humble opinion, freight trains are a lot like legals on wheels. most of the time, anyway.

so you have to sneak up to your walls? run and hide from workers at your legal spots and paint legal walls in the dark?

Your comment baffles me..

Archived