10 fall into aquarium shark tank

swif1

Ten people on a behind-the-scenes tour at an aquarium plunged into a shark tank after a platform collapsed. No one was seriously injured, officials said.

Two people were taken to a hospital for minor cuts and bruises, said Melissa Lee, a spokeswoman for the Aquarium of the Americas.

The accident Wednesday happened while donors to the aquarium were on an after-hours tour. The platform they were standing on is used by keepers to feed the sharks and is not usually open to the general public, Lee said.

It wasn't immediately known what caused the steel footbridge above the tank to collapse. The 400,000-gallon tank is home to everything from a few dozen nurse and sand tiger sharks to turtles, schools of redfish and stingrays.

Dan Rooney was on the platform with his family when the platform gave way. He searched frantically for his 2-year-old grandchild before he saw someone hand the toddler to another person on the stable part of the catwalk.

"I was just praying none of the sharks got agitated from all of the splashing and everything. I mean, they got sharks in there bigger than me," he said.

08/08/2002 06:48

© Copyright Cable News Network LP, LLLP. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of Cable News Network LP, LLLP.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Archived