Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jah

who the cap fit, let them wear it....

Guest imported_El Mamerro

See, like you said, that's what makes the world so sad... the fact that there's realities to life and people just don't see them unless it's being sung to them, packaged in an easily-digestible musical format (among all musical genres, I think reggae would be close to the top of the list of most approachable genres). If most people in america don't realize the things he's talking about, I believe it's because there's a lot of stupid people in America, not because he's particularly brilliant.

A lot of kids listen to it cus they heard it was cool or because it advocates smoking weed.... so what? SO WHAT?!?! It creates a large amount of roaming idiots who think themselves more knowledgeable than others. At the very very least, it annoys the living crap out of me.

I don't think there's any need for a rite of passage or a test to be able to listen to Bob, anyone and everyone should listen to his stuff, it's goddamn amazing. But listening/enjoying someone's music and pronouncing him/her a messianic prophet because you agree so much are two different things. And I've found that most people who do the latter follow strict patterns of marked stoner thinking, which I have very little patience for.

As for the records you mentioned, I got pretty much all of em (Kaya is the personal fave), and I too grew up listening to him (actually, I grew up on Judas Priest and Molly Hatchet, Bob came about when I was around 9-10). It was the official soundtrack (along with Ziggy, Black Uhuru, and Yellowman) to my family's life for a long time, and for that reason I get shivers when I listen to it... so many images flash in my head. I think Legend and NM are still amazing, but it once got to a point where it was unbearable. Trust me, a LOOOT of people began listening to Bob in PR from '93 onwards, and it became, as most things in our culture, treated like a trend along ith surfing. I get fed up when shit like that happens. beer,

El Mamerro

dude, its not that his ideas were ingenious, its the way he presented them that makes him so great. he put more emotion into his music than anyone. ALL of his songs are good. some are better than others, but i dont think anyone could name a bob marley song that isnt good (to me of course). the way he put his messages across are what made him a prophet. im not a rasta. i dont especially think that haile selassei was jesus christ. but i believe in what bob says. how is he not a prophet?? your inerpretation of his music will decide what he is to YOU. you compared it to surfing.... to some, surfing is something thats cool; to most people who surf, its life. surfing is amazing. its spiritual. seriously. its the samw with bob. some people listen to it cus its cool, some listen because it helps put things in perspective. it makes sense. it is annoying when someone you dont respect takes something thats personally important to you and uses it for all the wrong reasons... but you never know if that person is going to get teh message after a little while of listening to it. his/her reason for listening could change. although it is annoying, i still say id rather have people listening to it than not. as long as it doesnt turn into a trend for you....

another good one is rebel music. that song "roots" is so fuckin ill. i dont think ive heard it anywhere else but on that album though. pick up the "songs of freedom" set and youll have some shit to listen to for a long time...

Guest --zeSto--

YELLOWMAN

and you know who else was burning up my dad's record collection?

----> Third World !

And just as a rider to the mamski/jah disscussion...

Bob Marley makes very clear statments about religion, which is why so many people would dub him a 'prophet'. But simply because he spread the word of Emperor Sellasaie to a new audience, does NOT make him a prophet. It makes him a preacher. Prophets get direct instruction from a higher power, if you believe in such things.

And about the ganja...

It's very easy for people to take a vice, and then fabricate acceptance.

There's way too many 'poo-poo-dread-heads' out there who justify their

pot habit as a part of some spiritual movement. THERE'S NO GOING HALF WAY!

If you want to claim certain aspects of a religion, then dont counteract the others!

I want to shake these fucking kids and yell Rastas dont shave! It's not kosher!

yeah.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20020221/ent/Images/Yellowman%202.JPG'>

"me say, Yellow like cheese... girl you can luv me any way dat you please... ooooh, like cheese..."

Dude was FUCKED UP, I was traumatized when i finally saw a picture of him. But I enjoyed his shit over all other kinds of reggae, it was just so good.

Anyways, jah, I fully agree with everything you said on that last post. I think his genius lies in the transmission of the message, not the message itself. And I have looked and looked for a crappy Bob song and never found one. At some point I thought that it was simply impossible to create a crappy reggae song, but once I found those I realized that Bob simply ruled too hard.

The reason I mentioned surfing was not a comparison, it's just that surfing and listening to reggae became synoymous in the island. People picked up surfboards and grommed the shit out of every beach, and picked up Bob Marley records cause they believed them to be essential to the surfing lifestyle. It disgusted me cause I knew most of those surfboards would be left in some garage corner after a few years. Save for a very select few of extremely dedicated friends, my premonitions held true. So when I say EVERYONE had Legend and NM, and EVERYONE had the SoF box set, I mean EVERYONE (and even while having the box set, people STILL played Legend the most). It was played in all of my friends cars. It was played in retail stores. Like 12 radio stations popped up playing strictly Bob. I was gonna get that box set, but after realizing everyone had it and I was gonna be listening to it anyways, I decided against it. Now that I'm in the US things are different, and I'm giving it serious thought. My musical tastes have shifted to ridiculous things, but reggae still holds a warm spot in my heart.

I always seemed to enjoy Ziggy and others (Yellowman remains my favorite) more than Bob Marley, I guess because it was more carefree and happy. Bob sounded a little sad and solemn sometimes, and it wasn't until later that I realized he was much more serious about what he did. The other day I was coming back from PR on the plane, and I decided to pop the headphones to see what the hell they were playing on the plane stations, and guess what... "Tomorrow People" by Ziggy was just starting... oh man did that feel good... OK, the coffee is kicking in, I gotta get to work. beer,

El Mamerro

Guest --zeSto--

taken from 100 Albums you should remove from your collection immediately

Bob Marley & the Wailers - Legend

While there's nothing inherently wrong with Bob Marley or the song selection on this greatest hits collection, there is something wrong with the omnipresence of this CD. It is the Hotel California or "Stairway to Heaven" of the reggae world, which means that its fans have ruined the album for everyone, including you, by playing it into the ground. Every Birkenstock-wearing, hackey-sack-playing, REI-shopping bastard in the whole world has played this disc at every party, gathering, and road trip in the history of the world, and I for one have had enough. Now it's my turn to get up and stand up for MY rights. If you don't remove this from your collection, I will.

third world is sic. that was the first reggae group i got after bob. they never got much play though because bob was still rather fresh to me so i didnt think the album i had really sounded good compared to him.

zesto, about the prophet/preecher thing.....

"if you believe in that sort of thing..."

exactly, thats why i hold him as high as any other prohet. i personally dont believe muhammad ever spoke to god before he spread the islam religion. bob marely took rastafarianism to a global scale. and his messages went beyond rastafari, they could apply to anyone. i believe in God in a different sense than most people so that probably affects our interpretations of a prophet.

im fully with you on the "poo poo rastas" or whatever you called them. just rich kids looking for an excuse not to do shit. but that was the case for most of the "hippies" in the world. just in it for the partying. theyre not ALL like that though.but believe me, where i grew up, i was surrounded by people like that 24/7.

and that was one of the worst reasons ever to get rid of legend.... i could give a fuck if that guys sick of it. i dont really play it much anymore(i never really play it actually), but it still sounds good on the rare occasions i do play it. i dont even think ive heard yellowman. i may have but i dont know any of his songs. one of my favorites at the moment is augustus pablo.

Guest --zeSto--

the therm 'poo-poo' is in reference to the really shitty dreads made by white hippies with bumps, lumps and beads in them.

The look like big hair turds. Those are nasty fucking dreads.

I just like to tease those kids because some claim to be 'white-rastas',

but still take a razor to their face or pierce their skin with tattoo needles.

It's like saying 'I'm becoming Jewish but I'm still going to eat pork and I'm not wearing a silly hat'.

and to support putting the album away for a bit...

Moderation is the key to all things

(I doubt Marley coould have said it better himself.)

true, but there are some things people need to move on from and realize arent necessary anymore. religions must be modified too. like jewish people and pork for example. i dont know exactly where they got the idea that pork was evil... ive heard its because they hooves like the devil and because pork was a very risky thing to eat back in the day (had a lot of diseases or something). but these days, pork is safe to eat. i guess they could still argue the thing about hte hooves... i dont know. that was a bad example i guess. people are probably still better off without pork. my point is it is alright to live by certain aspects of religion and disregard things you dont think are very valid. some things are outdated and need to be revised. i cant believe how many idiots take religion so literally. thats probably one of hte main reasons the worlds so fucked up today....