T-Kid - The Nasty Boys

Guest imported_Europe

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

tkid_interview6.jpg

tkid_interview5.jpg

tkid_interview1.jpg

tkid_interview2.jpg

tkid_interview3.jpg

tkid_interview4.jpg

tkid_interview7.jpg

In these times where the focus is so intensely on rap you almost tend to forget that hip hop culture consists of four elements. One of these is, as you might know, graffiti. As a form of expression graffiti by now has existed for over thirty years and thereby precedes rap, b-boying and dj-ing. Graffiti as a form of expression is still immensely popular, despite its age and the criminalisation of the art form. The paradox is namely that at the same time as graffiti and street art are moving into government funded museums, it´s being fought by authorities (including both Danish and American) with a zero tolerance strategy.

Through difficult conditions, graffiti has now become well recognized, and it is not in the least due to some of the writers/artists that took part in developing graffiti to an art form that deserves recognition and respect. Among these writers is Julius Cavero, better known as Terrible T-Kid 170.

T-Kid 170 grew up in South Bronx, New York in the 1970´s and started painting when he was thirteen. T-Kid quickly established himself as a master of style and together with other famous writers of this age, helped develop graffiti from its early, primitive expression to a much more sophisticated art form. With his innovative use of colour and colour combinations, together with an exceptional and ever evolving style and fascinating figures, T-Kid 170 helped push the boundaries of graffiti´s visual expression. This made him an icon for an entire generation of graffiti writers from all over the world – a status he has maintained to this day, as an active graffiti writer at 42.

T-Kid 170 has recently released the book The Nasty – Terrible T-Kid 170. The book is a glance back at his life and career as graffiti writer, and depicts T-Kids personal and artistic upbringing and development. Flavourz.dk saw the book release as an opportunity to interview the legend who I met at a book signing in Berlin.

Flavourz.dk:

You´ve just released the book The Nasty - Terrible T-Kid 170, a sort of retrospective look at your life and career. How was that, looking back at your life and work?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

It was a bit hard to go back and try to write about my life. I looked at it from a neutral perspective and there was a lot about me I might not have wanted to reveal. But to let the readers know what made me write graffiti, it was important to open up my experiences and share them with the reader so they could see what a journey my life was and how all those experiences inspired me to express myself in the form of graffiti art. It was interesting to see it for myself in black and white and finally understand what drove me to be a style master. To answer your question, it was an awakening for me.

Flavourz.dk:

Have this retrospective look changed your perception of yourself as an artist (and/or as a person)?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

I came to realize I wasn´t as great as I thought I was. I didn´t have all the answers and at times to proud to ask the questions. I was searching for something, maybe a place to belong a family outside my parents. I mean I grew up in a broken house hold. I have realized that I am a product of my environment. The streets raised me with the morals my father thought me and the love and passion my mother gave me. But survival was my strongest instinct. And all this is what flows through my veins and reveals itself through my graffiti art.

Flavourz.dk:

What was the most exiting thing about making The Nasty - Terrible T-Kid 170?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

Well it was some kind of experience finding out who your friends truly are. Getting bullshit excuses from friends I knew had pictures of my dope shit was a rude awakening but expected. Getting pictures and bits of my life that I had forgotten or dismissed was a blessing when I saw it was people from the past that I had victimized who volunteered to help me out. Life has its ironies. I guess that´s what´s so exciting about my life and writing this book.

Flavourz.dk:

For you, was graffiti always about artistic expression or were there also idealistic motives such as rebellion against society and reclaiming of public space?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

Of course it was about rebellion. I wasn´t happy with my surroundings and the way the american society treated my culture (Hispanic) back in those days. So naturally I hit public spaces. But when I got to the subways the fever kicked in and it was about my name and letting all of NYC know who I was.

Flavourz.dk:

You write in your newly released book that back in the days you were influenced by music (salsa, R&B and Motown). How did this influence express itself?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

My boy Padre2 told me to give my pieces rhythm and I gave it the rhythm I had in my soul. That was the R&B, Soul and Salas rhythm. It was really easy to listen to Tito Puente or the Fania Allstars or James Brown and do a piece that was bouncing like the beat of that music.

Flavourz.dk:

And what were your other influences?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

Other writers as well. Such as Padre2, Noc167, 2Bad, Part2, Riff170. My mood was definably something that influences my use of colours.

Flavourz.dk:

What is the greatest gift or reward that graffiti writing has ever given you?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

To see graffiti become part of a culture that´s slowly spreading across the whole world. And to be embraced by all the new and young kids that have found graffiti art as a positive way of self expression and to acknowledge me as a pioneer in this culture. One that has survived the ages and stills has a lot to offer as well as to learn to this and from this new generation of graff writers.

Flavourz.dk:

Which younger writers do you admire, and what do you feel you can learn from them?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

I have to say that I admire writes like Alex from The M.A.C crew and Le club. What this kid does with spray paint is amazing. He is a realistic painter. But I am sure he is not the only one who can do this, but he is the one whom I have been exposed to at this moment. When it comes to letter styles I like the guys from Berlin they have dope style. So does Bates in Copenhagen. I have watched him paint and I admire his tenacity when it comes to perfection.

Flavourz.dk:

It sounds like you rather like passing on your knowledge to the younger generation. Are you currently involved in any projects that allow you to do that?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

The only thing I can say about this question at the moment is that when ever I paint a wall all those that come to see me paint get a lesson on NYC style graffiti.

Flavourz.dk:

Do you have any regrets over something that you didn´t do artistically, maybe a certain piece that you never finished or never got to do?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

I regret never seeing a whole car Myself, Mack and Cem did called tales of the Ghost Part1. This car got buffed before it left the Ghost yard. I also regret not finishing a piece I started in Bordeaux France recently. Fucking cops came and stopped us from painting a wall that we thought was legal. They took us in and let us go when they realized we were actually fixing the wall up.

Flavourz.dk:

Do you have a remembrance of the moment when you were proudest of being a graffiti artist?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

Oh yea. That moment was when Mayor Bloomberg revoked a permit that was issued to Marc Ecko to give a graffiti block party in New York last summer. Bloomberg took it away after receiving a memo from some petty queens councilman named Peter Valone who was looking to stir public sentiment against graffiti to build a platform to be re-elected. This memo told Mayor Bloomberg that Marc Ecko constructed 10 subway cars for graffiti artist to paint live in front of thousands of young kids. He brought up the argument that this action would incite all these young kids to go and paint real subway cars. Well Marc took the city to court to get back the permit that was already given to him. Well I was there in the court room when the judge told the lawyer that was representing the mayor and the city of New York, that if Shakespeare was to perform a live play of Hamlet in the streets of new York, would that inspire people to go and kill people they felt had wrong them? Of course not! And with that Marc Ecko was given back his permit and the block party was given to the delight of thousands of people young and old who finally got to see graffiti painted live on replicas of subway cars. Walking out that court room and finally understanding my first amendment right of freedom of expression was my proudest graffiti moment ever.

Flavourz.dk:

If given the choice, what would you rather do, an illegal or a legal train car? Why?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

Well I have to say that I have done both. A legal subway car that Marc Ecko hooked me up with and that was a good experience painting it live in front of kids that had never seen graffiti on a NYC subway car. But I have to say the feeling I got from painting trains illegally back in the days was the most invigorating feeling I had ever experienced. The thrill of the chance of getting caught, the sounds of the trains motors turning on and off, the smell of the subway tunnels were they laid up the trains was. How can I describe it? Oh yea - What a Rush!!!!

Flavourz.dk:

Do you think that there is a difference in the artistic expression between a legal piece made in piece and quiet and a piece made under pressure?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

Of course! When I use to do illegal shit I did it on the run. There for I did what was on my mind and what I was feeling at the moment. No out lines, no planning, just action, True self expression. Legal walls on the other hand are more tamed. Thought goes into it and planning so you end up taking away from yourself to make all those who are painting with you happy.

Flavourz.dk:

Do you think graffiti has a place in galleries and museums or should it stay in the streets?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

Of course it does have a place in museums. Graffiti is the oldest art form known to man. It is the well spring from were all art came from. Just ask any archaeologist who dug up a cave and found a tag that said “uhg was here�. But seriously, people have been expressing themselves through graffiti since the beginning of civilization just ask the Greeks, Romans or any other civilization that´s been around since the beginning. Graffiti is an art that came from the streets and will remain in the streets long after all that fine art has turned to dust from age. You will always find a moniker that was engraved into or painted on a wall or some kind of surface in a street, bus, train, or rock. That is the faith of graffiti.

Flavourz.dk:

In your opinion, what´s the most exciting development that has happened in recent years in graffiti or hip hop culture?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

I have seen graffiti elevate itself from a street crime to be celebrated in galleries throughout the world. To be recognized as voice from a street culture that could not be silenced. And to become part of one of the biggest cultures to sweep the world. HIP HOP! You don´t stop.

Flavourz.dk:

What challenges are left for you artistically and in general?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

To have one of my canvases hang in the MOMA, to paint a R17 train and have it displayed in the NYC transit museum, And to enjoy peace and tranquillity in this life time.

Flavourz.dk:

What´s so special about the R17 trains? And is it important for you to be recognized as an artist by the established art world?

Terrible T-Kid 170:

The R17 are special to me cause they were the original red trains before they were painted silver with the blue stripe in the early 70s. These were my favourite trains to paint. As far as being recognized by the established art world, is not important to me. I am an artist and those who see my art can see that I am an artist and I will go down in history as a graffiti artist! Not a graffiti artist who gave up graffiti to become an artist!

Thank you

Peace!

Anders Madsen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1.Venue: Write4Gold France

City: Strasbourg

Date: 06th may 2006

RTEmagicC_c0fca85f92.jpg.jpg

T-KID is one of few, who have left their mark on the history of graffiti. T-KID came up in the golden age of Hip Hop and became one of the leading figures in the emerging New York graffiti scene. Few artists today can tell a tale like his – a ghetto childhood, gangbanging and daring feats of graffiti. His work featured in the book Subway Art by Martha Cooper and Henry Chalfant (Thames & Hudson publishers) made him an international legend. His style, 3-D letters and unique characters have been a source of inspiration for many other writers from all four corners of the globe. Now in his mid 40s, he is still a style master, a pioneer of Hip Hop culture and a significant part of the artistic heritage of the graffiti movement.

“I think T-Kid was a major stylist in New York in the early 1980’s and an important voice. He pushed the envelope very far although his work is still very close to graffiti. People where blown away by how avant-garde he was in the graffiti scene. He is still a big influence around the world.� Henry Chalfant

T KID TNB

T KID 170

Started: Approximatly 1974 Primary affiliations: TNB, TVS, TAT, KD Local origin: Bronx, N.Y.

Main lines: 1s,2s,3s,4s,5s,6s

T KID started writing in The Bronx during the mid 1970s. Influences like PADRE and TRACY 168 provided an excellent foundation for this future style master. By 1979 he was a consistent presence on Broadway (IRT 1 Line). He later expanded to make his mark on the 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 IRT subway lines.

T KID became famous for his unique lettering and illustration style. In addition to being admired for his artistic ability, in the early to mid 1980s he gained a reputation as being one of the most feared writers of the time. The crew The Vamp Squad of which T KID was a member allegedly robbed and beat many writers who crossed their path.

This time period was also a creative peak for T KID. He along with writers like BOOZER, KEL 139, SHY 147, RIN and SHOCK 123 created countless wild style whole cars on the IRTs. T KID also produced many paintings for his own crew The Nasty Boys.

In the late 1990s T KID made a come back on the streets of New York City. He has participated in the creation of many breathtaking murals through out the city.

T KID's lettering style has influenced many writers both from New York City and across the globe

Archived