how long can a train lay up 4?????

CROW RA

how long can a train lay up 4?

we found a autorack spot back in jan. i went bac yesterday and the same fucing line is siting there theres no "bad order" or hold" on the car no home shop 4 repair ,,,why is this line chill'n thre o long????

:mad: :mad: :mad:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i think holyrollers are the worse when it comes to this. theres a yard out here where they sit for months on end. i just think the supply has far exceeded the demand for these cars. i think they will all get into general circulation at some point, but it can take some time. ive seen coal cars layed up for years in this one spot...i mean literally years...some csx boxes too. they had been sitting so long the rust on the wheels was flaking off. needless to say they got smashed. recently (within the last 4 months) i went by this yard and all them trains were gone. i even saw a couple of the coal cars and one of the box cars in transit. for the longes i thought these trains were scraps and would sit there forever.

Originally posted by ZedIsDed

i think holyrollers are the worse when it comes to this. theres a yard out here where they sit for months on end. i just think the supply has far exceeded the demand for these cars. i think they will all get into general circulation at some point, but it can take some time. ive seen coal cars layed up for years in this one spot...i mean literally years...some csx boxes too. they had been sitting so long the rust on the wheels was flaking off. needless to say they got smashed. recently (within the last 4 months) i went by this yard and all them trains were gone. i even saw a couple of the coal cars and one of the box cars in transit. for the longes i thought these trains were scraps and would sit there forever.

that sounds like exactly what happened here at this coal layup near a chill day wall. so these coals were really crushed and had been sitting there forever. and i went back 2 weeks ago and all of them were gone. atleast they are out there rolling.

SHIT I HOPE THEY PULL OUT

I HAVE SOME NICE PEICES ON THEM AND SOME REAL BAD ONES 2 FROM THE WINTER WHEN IT WAS COLD S FUCK OUT,,,---

THEN THERES A SPOT THAT FUCKO FOUND LAST YEAR WE KILLED A FEW BOXCARS AND A WHOLECAR IN THERE BUT UNSURE WHEN OR IF THEY WILL LEAVE SOME WERE JUST PAINTED .WHAT EVER I GUESS SOMEONE SOMEDAY WILL SEETHEM......

Zed summed it up. The cars are in storage. When they're needed, they'll be grabbed. Could be weeks, months, a year or more. The irony is that once autoracks get rolling, they get the sickest, most varied play of any car out there, better than reefers. The first one I ever painted made a bow-tie-shaped path across North America in its first two months.

I wouldn't hold your breath - or lose hope on those. Watch and wait and paint elsewhere in the meantime.

Originally posted by ZedIsDed

that sounds like exactly what happened here at this coal layup near a chill day wall. so these coals were really crushed and had been sitting there forever. and i went back 2 weeks ago and all of them were gone. atleast they are out there rolling.

Originally posted by toyeattoywar

not only is there storage to deal with but since september 11th supposedly the industry is running a good deal less so that may be why you are noticing it now or more recently.

dont try and drop knowledge when you dont have any.

if anything I'd say its picked up post 9/11 because its easier to clear at the border than trucks. Trucks are getting searched harder, and the wait is longer cause the crunch is on for every type of car crossing, not just truck traffic.

The long waits at layups are really specific to certain types of cars:

Coal/Grain/Bulk commodity cars that are used for products that tend to have seasonal shipping. ie lots of cars needed for a few months, then long periods of low usage. You'll see them stockpile empties outside grain places for weeks/months before harvest season.

Autoracks. These are also kind of "seasonal" cars, in that the car companies ship in bursts. Its easier to grab a couple of empty autoracks here and there (as they pass through) and shove them in a siding for a few months in preparation for a big shipment, than it is to have to go apeshit gathering cars the week before.

All these things are called constructive placement. Cars not in storage, but not in use, just being held in anticipation of demand. Enjoy it folks....

Guest schick1

ok now a layup is where the a train is stoped and the engine is running and sometimes theres a conducter in it sleeping or whatever, and usely the trains layed up for a couple of hours. but what about a spot where a couple trains like 2 or 3 stop and stay over night or for a day or 2, is this also so a lay up just one that hold cars longer? but its not a yard by any means

• 3 weeks later...

I KNOEW OF A SPOT WERE A WHOLE LINE OF OLD UP INSULATED CARS SAT FOR ABOUT THREE YEARS. I NEVER PAINTED THEM BECAUSE I KNEW IT WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. THEY MOVED THEM INTO THE CIRCULATION OF THE YARD ON DAY, AND I PAINTED FOUR OF THEM AND THEY WERE GONE THE NEXT DAY.

Archived