What ever happened to...

Jewish Task Force

Originally posted by STRYDER

i've never quite understood people who couldn't do anything more than a throw up or tag, and are quite content to just keep it that way:nut:.

I guess you have to analyse Writers... We do what we do for a reason and depending on your capabilities and where your priorities lie is where you delegate the majority of your resources and emerge as the writer you become.

all I wanted to do when I started writing in '78 was do characters. I hated tags and pieces (forget about throw-ups, LOLOL).

Then I came to the conclusion... I am 11 years old, how the hell can I get known doing characters without doing my name? So I learned to piece in blackbooks so people knew who I was. then I began to realize due to my age restrictions, I could only sneak out the house but so many times a month so when I got to a layup, I had to do as much damage as possible. I started bombing with tags on the 2, 3, 4 & 5's. I got most of my fame from throw-ups and tags. For years I had no ambition to piece. I had part of the Cap mentality... Not the biggest or the most beautifulest but he most. If I had lacked artistic talent I wolud have never done a piece and would have been content instead of the hundreds or pieces I painted. My photobooks would be full of throwups instead of pieces and burners.

My partner at the time Sane (RIP) got me into burning but I still kept bombing... Through the wars with JA, Ven, Reas and everything. I caught their pieces and they caught mine... Till eventually I was back to bombing again... I diverted all my time to tracking down their shit and crushing it till Cope2 squashed the beef. so I totally understand the mentality of not piecing... I got all the fame I needed without piecing which was ever more important when my beef was with someone like JA who did not piece. He dissed one of my burners so I had to take out 200 of his throwups to make up for it and I did. My beef with Ven and Reas was easier cause I could take out their cars, eye for an eye.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well yea...in that respect i do understand but being a piecer tends to be more widely respected, amongst the public, your family etc cos its seen from an artists point of view. i've never done a piece before, i've only ever bombed and tagged but have always sketched many a piece in a blackbook at the same time. sorta like a natural progression for once i started piecing i would be half way there. i feel the only thing stopping me from getting any better is the fact i buy my cans (can't rack cos i've got too much to sacrifice if caught, its a reality). the cash situation isn't too flash at the moment, so you get my drift.

piecing tends to make infrastructure look a little better. its clean and more widely accepted. people see you as more of an artist than a vandal. but thats from a general point of view. i can appreciate both frames of mind, seeing it not only the way the public would view/ opinionate it, but also the way a writer would. i think you learn to whether you want to or not. in a sense, i did.

Originally posted by Death149 3BR

I guess you have to analyse Writers... We do what we do for a reason and depending on your capabilities and where your priorities lie is where you delegate the majority of your resources and emerge as the writer you become.

i agree, this puts things into perspective.....

• 2 weeks later...

i noticed this about myself. i cant get enuf of the writters who came before me the styles the spots they did i got so many names stored in my head. but the thing that pisses me of the most is that it cant be like 1996 were fukers were bombin the fuk outta sht. every thing about this art form leavs me wanting more i dont give a fuk my mind is deep in this sht.and yeah im one of those younsters but fukit iv been doin this shit since the third grade im almost outa high school now.

Originally posted by RuMplStilskN

hahaha....

This whole page has been very very optimistic.!

-But still some of the more interesting conversations posted on 12oz.

aside from all the normal drama..

Personally i never get tired of it.

Nice Insights!

too right.if only the rest of 12oz would follow and add to the insights in more threads like this:mexican:

I agree with both JTF and with kids posting stuff opposite to his opinions.

But everyone, go to ANY scene board online, or talk to any kid in any "scene" whether music, art, sports whatever.

They will most likely tell you "ohh it used to be so good, less wana-bes, less this, less that." Folks, congratulations, youve grown up.

You were once they.

Some kids, somewhere, thought of you as some lil pathetic tool who probably wont amount to anything graffiti wise.

And why let it bother you that some kid is barely learning jack and slightly 'messing stuff up'? He'll be gone soon enough. It should just push you and make you want to be a better artist.

my2cents

:D

Originally posted by gatita

But everyone, go to ANY scene board online, or talk to any kid in any "scene" whether music, art, sports whatever.

They will most likely tell you "ohh it used to be so good, less wana-bes, less this, less that." Folks, congratulations, youve grown up.

You were once they.

im gonna have to eat a huge chunk of humble pie and bow out in shame. gatita, u couldn't be more right. i think in a way we are all guilty in way or another.

:bawling:

but seriousily

• 2 months later...

graffiti in todays world is differnt then back in the day but what about in 10 years where will graffiti be fucking MARS dude things change ... but I do belive what ur saying

to the topic starter

• 2 weeks later...

I am new painting though I try, I am not that good so I look for pointers online but I dont order prepackaged stuff, I try out new new things and everything but there is no where in my town to get decent moarkers or caps,

P.S for all you new ppl like me dont ever buy the half size cans That was the biggest fucking mistake of my life. I only really do bombs and I try throw ups but I am not that good,

all those ppl that dont know shit bout painting and r dicking around r posers and dont disserve to paint.

• 2 weeks later...

we could sit here sayin it was good back in the day, but peeps taht start now will say that in 5 years and so on. Shite changes too often... also we were all new to graff at one point so if uve been doing it longer could mean ur just older. New generations are bound to occur and the internet seems to be a major foundation of this generation. so if you are part of this generation my reccomendation is get off the internet and go paint something instead of laerning how to bite a styles just enough so it looks like your own. peace

ps.. nice thread

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by STRYDER@Sep 19 2004, 10:25 AM

in terms of the above, i think the net has had a negative on the graff on the whole, and as u say,kids come online and.............yea well u all catch my drift.

it can't be said enough though

i like to think the internet has only done positives to the graff game. with the aid of the internet, anyone with a computer can be exposed to the greatest contributors to the art. the only thing we cant control is how this influence is expressed through the kid exposed to it. if the kid a real writer at heart, he'll eventually improve and hopefully change the future of graff, positively.

The internet may bring on unwanted "wannabes", but i think the positive outweighs the good here.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jewish Task Force@Jul 25 2002, 04:05 AM

What ever happened to finding shit out on your own? When I first started writing there was no internet, there were no magaiznes, there were no mailorder or walk in shops for graff shit. I mean, I had more fun trying new pens, inks, paints, etc. than actually doing the graff. now you have all these kids coming on here and asking questions, ordering pre packaged graffiti shit, reading mags(no disrespect to mags), and reading books(no diss either). I didnt find out about any books or videos until I had been writing for about 5 years. Its great that kids are getting into graff because of these things, dont get me wrong, but I mean cmon, find out about shit on yur own, please. It just makes you love and appreciate graffiti just that much more. Just dont ask dumb questions, if you are wondering how something works or how to make something, try it. Hey, who knows, in the process you might learn something new. It seems like that integral part of graffiti is going away.

On a side note: If you have all the best markers, paints, caps, inks, etc. It doesnt make you a better writer. You cant buy skill. You still have to put in work and do graffiti. That is the only thing that will make you better. Dedication, time, skill and a love for what you are doing.

I hate when I hear older cats, or veterans complain about paying dues and shit... not knowing they are being hypocritical to what graffiti is all about, innovation..... If new ways are found to do things, go with it....its called evolution, live with it.... either way graff is what it is, if your a toy your a toy until you do something about it.

On a side note: I am a cat thats finding it all out on my own, none of the cats in Boston held a hand out to me. THey say they wanna help but fuck em.... but whether you learn from a book or not there is one thing youc ant get from a book, a mag, a video or the internet... Respect.

Originally posted by junior@Sep 6 2004, 12:29 AM

I am new painting though I try, I am not that good so I look for pointers online but I dont order prepackaged stuff, I try out new new things and everything but there is no where in my town to get decent moarkers or caps,

P.S for all you new ppl like me dont ever buy the half size cans That was the biggest fucking mistake of my life. I only really do bombs and I try throw ups but I am not that good,

all those ppl that dont know shit bout painting and r dicking around r posers and dont disserve to paint.

i like those half sized (pocket cans aka shortcuts)cans they are good for daytime tags...the smallest ive seen so far is the 30ml montana cans which are like a jumbo pilot cut in half...fucking insane stuff....but like i said, they are good for daytime tagging or heated spots, not throw ups and stuf....

• 1 month later...

oh dude people that talk about..shit like they know...like i mean history..like old school hell yeah but if you just started writing and the only thing read is a couple of articles in your hip hop mag dont talk like you know everthing..cuase you dont....graff takes time people dont get good in a day......damn shit..hahaha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yea, most kids who go for throwies first off cant sketch for shit, and second they do it for 'attention" theyve go much to learn befor they go around and take up walls that real writers should be hitting, most of these kids are too scared to go after 9 oclock, punks.

i didnt have anyone teach me shit. and i wish i did, it would have made alot of shit alot easier. so i think its alright for younger less experienced writers to ask for tips. but to an extent dont come on here and ask to to use spray paint wheres chill walls and bullshit like that. only problums you cant get passed after your own trial and errors.

Archived