What ever happened to...

Jewish Task Force

...The best way to learn things is through experience...when i started painting i didn't know anything, i didn't even know about caps, but going out by myself and forceing my self to learn things helped me out a lot, not everyone has someone more experienced that they can learn things from so in a way 12oz becomes their mentor, but i really don't think those kids are going to be around long. when you don't have the drive to try things out for yourself you don't have the drive to paint...the harder the struggle the greater the reward...i ahd the oppurtunity to paint with a vetran writer the other day and it was the best experience i have ever had, i really believe trade secrets should be handed down on a personal level and not just given out to any toy with an internet connection...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by socrates

DISCO: Which one are you thinking of, I'm pretty sure I was referring to my quazi crew.

Maybe those fat drunk kids??

Razor Sharp, foooo! buck, buck! I saw that "Take Loves ______" in Williamsburg the other day.. funny shit. who knew? what are all these kids from the NW doing over here.. I came here to get away from you bitches! I imagine if those RS kids were still writing, some would be pretty good by now???

Jerms is the homie.. scammin' Van Kelly for the answers to Spanish tests..

i remember when i first heard about streakers i thought it was the greatest invention ever. something that can write on concrete and not fuck up the tip! also when i figured out that shoe polish can work as a marker...that really made my day. it bugs me a bit too that kids can come on here and get all the info they want rather than having the fun of testing out new markers...tips...etc. how many new comers have actually tried to make their own fat cap??? probably a small amount. i used to just daydream all day in class about new inventions and new ways to widen my caps. it never really worked that well but it was fun and messy! their loss i guess.

PISSESUS BIOTH OFF

POISSES MEOFF OOO IODNT CAREIF SOME KIDS TERRTYING TO GRAF BUT KIDS THAT GO OUT A JUST RIGHT CUSS WORDS ARE REATARDED THT RUINS THE WHOLE THINGS OF GOOING OUT AND PAINTING A WALL I MEAN IT JUST PISSES YOU OFF:king: :king: :idea:

Originally posted by CyANidE

What pisses me off is when kids just take a can go to a bridge and write dumb shit like "fuck you" and stuff like that just to be cool or sumthing:mad:

...i used to do that shit when i was like seven or eight...we would go and write every bad word we could think of...

Guest DRIPONERS

LIKE EVERY ONE THAT STARTING NOWA DAYS JUST FADES AWAY IN LIKE 6 MONTHS AND THEN THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT IT TO YOU CUZ YOU GOT BETTER AND STAYED WITH IT SO FUCK TOYS AND FLOURESCENTS I CANT SPELL CUZ I DONT CARE AND BOMB WITH THE RIGHT COLORS ONLY IF MY PARENTS WOULD BUY 6 DOLLAR SPRAY PAINT FOR ME :rolleyes: :D

...i believe graffiti's popularity is on it's way out, Target just introduced a line of Graff based merchandise...as soon as you become a corporate fad, your days are numbered, just look at skateboarding's popularity from a few years back, that peaked when tony hawk did a 900, it's been downhill since then...soon the yards will be quiet again...and 12oz won't get a million hits a day...

Guest postaholic
Originally posted by Jewish Task Force

What ever happened to finding shit out on your own? When I first started writing there was no internet, there were no magaiznes, there were no mailorder or walk in shops for graff shit. I mean, I had more fun trying new pens, inks, paints, etc. than actually doing the graff.

thats a good point. however, ive known tons of "famous" writers, or they are famous now-a-days, and they grew up with like 6-7 close friends who were also writers, and maybe had been better than them when they first started, and showed them the ropes of 'graffiti' giving them tips, and outlines, and pointers an so on. now thats not finding out shit on their own is it? yet, we wouldnt ever critize our favorite writer even though they might fall into that situation, but your going to look down upon a upcomer asking questions that lacks those other writer buddies? shits kinda silly to me.

now you have all these kids coming on here and asking questions, ordering pre packaged graffiti shit, reading mags(no disrespect to mags), and reading books(no diss either).

everyone bites everyone, everyone looks at others work, and it grows on you, no matter what you think, you didnt start graffiti i assume, and therefore you're a follower like the ones before you were was well. that being said, magazines and books, they just tell history, enable us to learn and gather thoughts, and if your into it deep enough, you'll eventually grow into your own style and hopefully progress the culture known as graffiti. CLOWN said it best in an interview he did in PHANTOM MAGAZINE i believe, he stated: "a letter can only be munipulated so much before it isnt that letter anymore, therefore every combination to thta letter has been done before, but you jave to tweak it a tad bit to make it your style" or something like that.

I didnt find out about any books or videos until I had been writing for about 5 years.

same thing goes with tha shit i wrote above. since you didnt get mags or books until 5 years into the game, is that any worse than a kid who didnt have friends helping him with his shit? or partners to go out and bomb with and evolve with? its tha same shit, you might have benefitted from friends, while kid B benefitted from mags and books. who cares.

On a side note: If you have all the best markers, paints, caps, inks, etc. It doesnt make you a better writer. You cant buy skill. You still have to put in work and do graffiti. That is the only thing that will make you better. Dedication, time, skill and a love for what you are doing.

you're right, you cant buy skill, however you can be shown tips and pointers in which your style, can control and other things involved with graffiti can be gained twice as fast if your shown or helped along, somewhat. you dont need a complete graffiti kit from start to finish of how to become a king in 3 months or whatever, but teaching someone the simple basics to help them overcome some basic hardships is not that bad.

i dont mean to be biting your head of JTF... i just dont like your opinion some what, and pointed out why. seems to me like alot of people like yourself share your opinion amd i disagree with it to a point.

also there is a difference between showing every little punk ass bitch who thinks graffiti is cool, and showing some kids who honestly want to learn, and listen to the valueble lessons you teach them, and thats a very important point to notice as well.

2cents.

I was actually talking about coming on the internet and asking advice. That is pathetic. Dont try to justify shit to me. My opinion is solid. Graffiti is being ruined by all these wack kids coming on here asking stupid ass questions that they could have used basic common sense to figure out. Then they go buy all this dope paint and markers and inks and think they are the shit. Knowledge comes from experience. These kids cant figure that out.

Like 16v said, the times have changed. Not for the better. The purity of graffiti is gone.

Questions like:

"What is the best cap?" - Hmm why dont you try all the caps and see wich one is best for you? How hard is that to figure out?

"How do you make a mop?" - Well if you cant use trail and error on this one then all hope is lost. Hey maybe while you are trying to make a mop you might stumble across some new shit that works better.

"How do you make such and such ink?" - Hmm, get some paints inks and thinners and try it. How hard is that.

I just dont like the fact that graffiti is pre-packaged nowadays. It makes it too easy and any old asshole can do it. You have all these idiots that are in-it-for-a-minute that blow shit up for the real dedicated writers that have been in the game for years and the writers that have just started but have a genuine love and dedication to graffiti.

Its like sports. You cant just buy all the equipment and learn all the rules and plays and be a great player. You have to play the game alot and learn from your own experiences to get good. A coach is always good, dont get me wrong. But you cant get coached from the internet.

I just want an end to all these dumb fucking questions. If you love graffiti and you want to do it and get good at it, take the time to do your homework and learn. Dont let others you have never met before give you advice. Thats just dumb. Your teachers should be people that watch you come up, paint with you, show you shit first hand, and be your freinds. Well, not just that, you have to see graffiti all the time to really learn shit off people you dont know. If you live in a town where there is no graffiti, Im sorry but, if you really love it move to a city or learn from your friends. Its the only way.

Guest postaholic

I just dont like the fact that graffiti is pre-packaged nowadays. It makes it too easy and any old asshole can do it. You have all these idiots that are in-it-for-a-minute that blow shit up for the real dedicated writers that have been in the game for years and the writers that have just started but have a genuine love and dedication to graffiti.

you say those in for a minute writers are fuking it up for the true writers and the kings an shit, well, to me it only makes sense that if your one of those kings you need to do one of two things, stomp out there super toys and the in for a minute guys, and take the other toys with talent and teach them some shit to save your scene.

if not, you as well as others will suffer the consequences of a hot scene and so forth.

i know your not stupid, i didnt say you were, im not challenging you, just stating my opinion, so dont get pissy or think im trying to diss you, cuz im not.

...are you actually defending all these dumb ass kids?...do you not understand JTF's arguement?...do you enjoy seeing new threads everyday about how to make a good 'E'?...or where to buy paint?...or who the best writer in the world is?... it's because of kids like these that the paper chase is filled with shit drawings from kids that think they're writers...come on now...all JTF is asking is that people use some common sense, cause if you don't have that you're not gonna make it anyway...

where to buy paint, i love that one. i have to agree with jtf and porque, cause theres alot of shitheads that will go over my pieces with scribbles, and i know they dont have talent and they arent going to be writing ever, but i also dont know them to tell them whats up, dont write over something unless its going to be better. all it is is kids thinking tagging is cool for right now for the wrong reasons, go on here,and learn more ways to make this place uglier than it already is, if the kids cared about it enough, they would figure at least a few things out for themselves and be in a better positoin than just being handed something. and im not saying i havent learnt a few things from this site cause i have, but i had already figured out a lot more than most people do when they go on here.yeah and about target, i just saw a target commercial with all these marker tags going on the screen and shit, it was pretty depressing.

Finding Shit out

Almost Nobody found shit out on there own they were shown the way by their mentor or teacher. You can pick up a can and paint like crazy every night and still not learn shit you have to study what other writers are painting and mutate that into what you want it. On the fad note GRAFFITI is DEAD the companys and kids that paly around with it have and always will but true writers are a dying breed today even the tagbanger kids can sometimes become good but most don't because of the Hip-Hop lifestyle. My theroy kids like rap so they buy the music,cloths. and pick up on the customs (graffiti,dj,b-boy) but then they get older and "wiser" and end up giveing it up.

Re: Finding Shit out

Originally posted by boxer_kid29

Almost Nobody found shit out on there own they were shown the way by their mentor or teacher. You can pick up a can and paint like crazy every night and still not learn shit you have to study what other writers are painting and mutate that into what you want it.

...maybe you were lucky enough to have somebody show you everything and give you all the advice you need ed but not everyone is, and yes i know that back in the day everyone had mentors who helped them out...but personally speaking i spent a solid year and a half painting without any guidance from anyone better than me, and i can atest that you CAN figure things out on your own if you actually try...i used to study the pieces that were up at spots trying to figure out how people made the effects that they did...it's real nice when people hand shit over to you, either on the internet or in person, but it is so much more valuable when you know that you figured it out on your own...

fact is most of these kids are from the suburbs and the only place they can learn about it is on the net....jtf i kno you hate me already and you think im some dumb kid...but i can honestly say i did not learn graff from the net...true its fun scouring shops, racking shit you think looks like a good graff weapon, using it, realizing its the shit or thats its crap and washes off.....but you think kids from the burbs have the chance to see graffiti and experiance all that shit? haha the only place they can actaully see graffiti is in mags and on the net...and thats how they do it....fortunately we both live in a city that is blanketed in graff and only have to walk down the block to see bombing, only have to meet some kids in your school classes who are already in the scene, and it only takes a short time before you start meeting other writers on the streets, on buses, etc etc. ...when i started i was using magnums and testors spray paint and thought that was basically it, untill i met people that schooled me on everything...nice people that actually had the time to teach my stupid young ass a little bit about this shit...its all about your mentors

o yea...and the one graff question i asked on this site was "what is candy ink"....jtf already chewed me out on that one, but i have since learned what it is by trying different inks on muni panels and riding the lines searching for stains...it took me like 4 months...thanks jtf you coulda saved me all the fuckin trouble by just telling me god dammit!!!

Originally posted by boxer_kid29

you have to study what other writers are painting and mutate that into what you want it....

I Never Had a mentor either I just read the books studied the peices in subway art and around my town. I never had a mentor because I don't knowlly get along with other writers I just mind myself.

then how the fuck can you try and suggest that most people have a mentor?!

i never had a fucking mentor or a teacher...

actually, i had a bunch of shittalkers and haters instead..

and i disagree with your point that one must mutate what other writers are doing to become good..

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO ORIGINALITY?

I was doing a quick simple styled piece on this pretty clear wall by an underpass, near a pretty sick NEWA piece. I went to go flick it and I noticed that his piece was somewhat scribbled over by local kids who just wanted to paint their names, insignias, and what not. As shitty as it is for writers to put in their time in a piece and have it be covered by a bunch of ignorant careless kids wanting to right "Chris + Jane" or "Joe rules"... I kinda feel for them. Graffiti is graffiti, the same feeling of just wanting to right your name where you are or where you live so others are going to see it, is where this whole thing stems from. I love graffiti, from a fucking burners to "Bob Waz Here" scribblings on a bench. From throws to some kid writing "fuck the cops" on a bridge. It's still sucks that Newa's shit was marred but I think discrediting those forms of writing is missing part of the picture.

Just some words.

Yo,

Yeah, after I chose the name and painted it a bunch, I read somewhere about a London writer who painted trains and shit in the 90's who uses SIEGE. I addded the 1, but I figured he wasn't big enough for making SIEGE 1 useless, especially for the shit I do.... do you think different?

Archived