KaBar

COUNTDOWN TO BRITT

National Hobo Convention

Britt, Iowa

August 9-10-11, 2002

LET'S GO TO BRITT!

Bring your camera! (And a bindle.)

Guest LethalDosage

man that would be so rad to attend...i know i wont be able to but have fun!!!!

Seeking---No, I don't have enough time for that. Travel requires that one spend money, or value, one way or another. In order for me to hop to Britt, I'd need at least a ten-day grace period prior to arrival. I can't afford to take off two weeks for Britt, so I'm doing it in one. It's over 900 miles from Houston to Britt, so I'm driving, straight through if possible. I figure I can make Iowa in about 24 hours of driving.

Heya Kay Bar,

If i'm hopping to a big city with a big yard which would suck to get caught in, where could I bail out beforehand?

yeah, thats what i figured. i thought that leaving on the 7th would be cutting it rather close, but if you knew of a hotshot that went straight through, it could be done..

time is indeed money.

not getting too into detail, but do you work for the trainlines? you might have mentioned it before, but ive been gone for a while...

-edited, because when you front like you know jargon, then fail, you look like a moron.

Regardless whether it's a "big city" yard or not, you don't want to be arrested in the yard proper, or on a train. In order for you to be arrested for tresspassing, the property must be posted ("No Tresspassing") or it must be fenced to keep in cattle. That's your "notice." To be guilty of tresspassing one must have been asked to leave or vacate the property, and fail to have done so.

I'll spare you the lecture about hiding on freight trains and no skylining yourself.

Bail off the train before it passes the Yard Limit sign if possible. Any later than that, you're taking a serious risk of a tresspassing charge. Don't detrain if it is going too fast for you to safely jump off running. On the other hand if it's a choice between bailing or going to jail for a month...

Thanks, I knew the one about being caught on the train, but didn't know the one about the yard proper. I'm gonna have to be careful.