car stereo heads...

!CEBERG

quick question...

i just put a radio in my boys car, first one ive ever installed, shit was sweet untill i noticed the power is constantly on.

even when the cars off the face unit is still displaying the time etc...

anyone know why?

good lookin out in advance

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

lets see, if you would of asked this about three years ago i would have known. but if my memory serves me correctly the power suppy wire or remote turn on wire needs to be attached to something that has switched power, like your ignition, not to a constant power source such as your battery or cig lighter.

no sorry you dont hook up a 'remote turn on wire' unless you are hooking an amp or other such crap onto your stereo

anywho...

you will have three wires that you need to hookup

-ground : black usually, mount this to a suitable metal location... im sure youve done this

-acc : usually a yellow wire, you will hook this to your cars accessory wire this is what will turn on and off your radio with the key (ignition as nomadawhat said) dont hook this wire to your headlights or your battery or you will have problems

-power : usually red, supplies power when...

you know what, save yourself alot of trouble just go to a stereo shop and buy a harness kit for the model car you are installing on, these things make installation a fucking piece of cake, especially if you are a novice installer or dont want to waste time with a testlight and a bunch of stripped wires (not fun) anyways its impossible to screw up with one of these harnesses unless you are retarded, they run about 6.99 or so...

go buy one

Originally posted by WhenOne

no sorry you dont hook up a 'remote turn on wire' unless you are hooking an amp or other such crap onto your stereo

anywho...

you will have three wires that you need to hookup

-ground : black usually, mount this to a suitable metal location... im sure youve done this

-acc : usually a yellow wire, you will hook this to your cars accessory wire this is what will turn on and off your radio with the key (ignition as nomadawhat said) dont hook this wire to your headlights or your battery or you will have problems

-power : usually red, supplies power when...

you know what, save yourself alot of trouble just go to a stereo shop and buy a harness kit for the model car you are installing on, these things make installation a fucking piece of cake, especially if you are a novice installer or dont want to waste time with a testlight and a bunch of stripped wires (not fun) anyways its impossible to screw up with one of these harnesses unless you are retarded, they run about 6.99 or so...

go buy one

damn... i just typed out everything i had to say but it didnt save it by accident, but basically, no and ill figure it out tomorrow

It's pretty straight forward when you do that shit with a harness, please believe all installers use em.

I don't think you did anything wrong (it plays fine, bla bla).

Is the car ALL the way off, keys out of the ignition when it displays the time?

Or are the keys in the ignition but the car is off?

It sounds like a Sony headunit to me, because my friend's is like that (key in ignition, car off) and it displays time.

Originally posted by WhenOne

have fun.

why do you say that? its not like this shit is brain surgery

it makes no sense for me to wire a harness up just so i can plug it in, when all i have to do is work with 2 wires

-Bueller

it constantly has power to it thats all, even when the cars turned off locked up no keys in it, it is still illuminated

but like i said, i dont think i need to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out, so im gonna skip the harness and have fun reconnecting 2 wires

Originally posted by !CEBERG

why do you say that? its not like this shit is brain surgery

it might not be fuckin brain surgery but it sure has you stumped huh?

i was just pointing out the easy way to get shit done

go buy a test light and figure out your power problems that way.

belive me ive installed many a stereo and system.

if its sony its crap, if its the sony xplode stuff it still shouldnt stay on, any other sony unit im not sure

Archived