Old freight theory

deformatron

I was thinking about this the other day. If you have a choice between a freshly painted box car and an old, stamped, rusting one, which would you chose?

-Is it more likely the freshly painted one will run longer because it wont be back to the shop for awhile OR it will get buffed quick (like i know alot of the Tropicanas are) because they want to keep it looking new and deter grafitti?

-Should you hit the old rusted out one because they dont really care what it looks like and the peice will run OR should you forget about it because a) its gonna get a repaint/fresh stamping soon anyway, B) its just going to continute to rust right through your peice until your whites are brown and that little crack you went over becomes an nice big tear right through your fill, or c) its going to be scrapped altogether soon.

i personally like the look of a fresh peice or even a nicely aged one on some wierd old crusty box car, but im not going to waste paint and time on shit that is just going to get buffed or destroyed as soon as it leaves the yard or within a short period of time. Any thoughts??

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i look at the built date and go with my gut feeling. most of the cars around here were built in the late 70's or mid 80's...and have been repainted already. so if i see a rusty ass car built around late 80's....i stay away from it cause i know its time for a buff job. or if see a car with the info almost eroded away i'll stay off of it. give me a choice of a brand new golden west flat or a rusted one.....i'd probably go with the new one pending the date on the rusty car.

it depends the condition of tha train i guess well if one is freshly painted it will run. then again u cant really do anything and watch out for bait trains too they will be watchd and noted who and where they were hit so keep n eye out for those ones

bomb harder boy

Hit em all...you never know how much longer an old rustbucket will last.

I don't have a problem with this because I love the look of eroding pieces and sketchy fills, so I'll blast over a rusty panel with silver or Krylon or other paint with opacity and durability issues on purpose, just hooking up a style that looks good with decrepitude (cracks, spiderwebs, etc).

If I have the luxury of a choice...well, play and rarity are more important to me than freshpaint or oldpaint, and rarity even more than play. If I have to choose between a crusty SSW flat and a freshpaint RBOX, it's Cotton Belt all the way. A freshpaint local might get the nod over and oldpaint local, but it depends on the mood. And if I can safely hit em all, that is the clear preference.

Guest TrustEvil

rusty crusty all the way....nothing lasts forever but fresh burners on rusted boxcars burn a hundred times brighter than anything on some fancy new car...

Originally posted by deformatron

Is this really how bad it's getting out there? i've never heard of bait trains: anybody else?

ive never heard an official report on it, ive never seen it in writing or nothing i would dismiss as fact. but i have often suspected it in a layup every writer in my city frequents. but i often am a victim of my own paranoia.

i believe.. im not too sure.. but i believe there was a bait train in my yard this week.. it was totally clean when it first got in.. i mean NOTHING.. not a tag not a piece.. not a throwie.. it stayed for a week.. . when it left it was crushed. CRUSHED. every other car was hit with some of the inbetween cars hit as well. alot of names i noticed acouple times. (by acouple.. i mean 3 or 4..) im going to find these kids and give them a firm talking to.

Guest me IS cool

With the choosing of the boxcar and worrying about when it's gonna get scrapped or whatever it's nice to have a flick just in case....

Jeezzus I can't finish a complete thought... :o

Archived