the super duper clone baby..

siloette

A couple trying to become the parents of the world's first human clone, using the same process that produced Dolly the sheep, have spoken for the first time ... to the Sunday Herald.

Bill, a high school teacher, and Kathy, a sales representative -- they do not want their last name revealed -- are one of six couples who will participate in a cloning experiment later this year led by American fertility expert Dr Panos Zavos.

The couple, from northeast America, have agreed to a clone of Kathy and are awaiting a call to tell them to fly out to a secret destination where the historic attempt will take place.

They insist they only turned to the radical procedure because they have no other way of producing their own child. Bill and Kathy have been trying to have children for the past nine years. After a series of gruelling IVF (in vitro fertilisation) treatments, fertility doctors told Kathy, who is in her mid-40s, that they could do no more for her.

Bill, in his mid-50s, said: 'If we could clone a child this would be our own child. We don't really regard this as cloning. To us this is an advanced IVF process.

'We are religious people and have searched deep into ourselves about this. We do not believe it should be used randomly. We think that this is something that should only be done for infertile couples.

'I have a huge family with brothers and sisters and they all have children. It is very important for us to have our own genetically-related children.'

Kathy added: 'My father was a very brilliant man, as were my uncles on my mother's side of the family. I have strong genes in my background, as does my husband. I come from a very warm, loving family and I hope that we can bring a child into this world that has that warmth and intelligence.'

Using the process that created Dolly the sheep at the Roslyn Institute in Midlothian, the embryo will be made up almost entirely of Kathy's DNA. It will contain an an insignificant number of genes from the donor egg but none of Bill's genetic material.

Why we're trying to give birth to the world's first human clone

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I am not really into structured religion myself..but I found this story extremely disturbing..

As a serious believer of fate I find it hard that this couple..who state themselves out right "very religious" can decide to control life ..not from outright sexual activity..

I mean the clone issues have been around for awhile..but the abortion topic and seeing this article today really disturbed me..

First off im pro choice..But there are millions of wonderful children with out homes or families that this family could choose from..there is no shame in adoption..

This couple arguement is that they have strong genes and want to produce from the same pool...

But what disturbs me the most is how ridiculous the extreme is..the baby will be a clone of the mother..How disturbing is that?

it seems selfish above all..

its like that couple that were deaf and through surgery made their son deaf..calling it a "life style"

these are just my veiws though..

Originally posted by siloette

We are religious people and have searched deep into ourselves about this.

That is such bullshit. I don't know what kind of religion these freaks are in to. I guess they never thought god didn't want her to have kids, so she's screwin god over bigtime with this scientific hooha. I can't even believe they're doing this! This is some sick crap these people are pullin.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

The technology to clone people is available to anyone with the know-how abilities, $80,000 worth of equipment, and a room about the size of a walk-in closet.

Rest assured, people have been cloned already. Just hasn't gone public yet. Beer,

El Mamerro

i don't see anything morally wrong with cloning. but don't forget that sexual reproduction has evolved so that two organisms can mix their genes promoting higher genetic diversity in the gene pool. cloning would be a form of asexual reproduction, and this "daughter" they will produce will have no genetic traits of her "father". this one case is no big deal, but if cloning became common practice, human evolution will come to a halt

Originally posted by bug

this one case is no big deal, but if cloning became common practice, human evolution will come to a halt

NATURAL human evolution would come to a halt (and it will)... then we're in charge of it.

The future's gonna be crazy times. I can't wait. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest --zeSto--

here's a bit of scarry news for you to ponder...

Rabits were sucessfully cloned in lab conditions.

Because they had such a large supply of genetically similar bunnies,

they had all the genetic material necessary to guage their tests.

and you know what happened?

The cloned bunnies became obese where the regular bunnies with the exact same dna didn't.

yep... another few generations and thin people in america will be about as common as redheads or albinos.

My Smart impersonation...

Originally posted by --zeSto--

yep... another few generations and thin people in america will be about as common as redheads or albinos.

EXACTLY! Because what happens to rabbits ALWAYS happens to people...

Guest --zeSto--

when did Smart start logging into other people's accounts ? :p

seriously though,

since there haven't been any tests on humans,

and the obesity has also hit mice,

we have to figure that the ill effects will also affect humans.

Guest willy.wonka

all clones have a secret agenda...they can read minds and are as strong as the ox.controlled by satan, they act as a passage of peace.when they all come together for thier secret mind meetings , their eyes turn hellish red and satan appears to take one of them as a transport to do his bidding.

-something like that-

that's pretty stupid, if they want to carry on their genes then why would they select the wife to be cloned, I thought she couldn't have the kid in the first place??

i don't agree with exact duplication of people existing that would just be pointless. if u'r gonna make a person scientifically wouldn't it make sense to alter it.

i don't have a problem with babies being born out of the womb and have beneficial alterations (yes go ahead and ream me a new one) but i think it would have such serious social implications that it should be avoided.

is it not our self-awareness, ability to correct actions and aptitude for technology that are our differentiators from other animals? why wouldn't we use that to advance/alter our species.

yah i know that's probably a bit twisted of a perception, and i don't agree with the practice in the short-term until there are precautions in place, which there probably never will be. i don't want the misuse of the technology for the benefit of the few, which seems that it would be inevitable.

oh well i guess i'm confused

They insist they only turned to the radical procedure because they have no other way of producing their own child

adoption

'We are religious people and have searched deep into ourselves about this.

Do clones have souls? I wonder if they thought about that.

'I have a huge family with brothers and sisters and they all have children. It is very important for us to have our own genetically-related children.'

... because you couldn't love a child that was mexican, or black or asian? It has to be just like you? And if your brothers and sisters jumped off a bridge ...

Kathy added: 'My father was a very brilliant man, as were my uncles on my mother's side of the family. I have strong genes in my background, as does my husband. I come from a very warm, loving family and I hope that we can bring a child into this world that has that warmth and intelligence.'

... but if we get a fucked up baby, we'll just kill it and blame it on science.

I've got two words that sum up what I wish would happen to these people ...

SWAMP THING

Originally posted by --zeSto--

mice,

we have to figure that the ill effects will also affect humans.

It sure is a possibility. But we have cloned sheep, cattle, goats, pigs, rats, mice, rabbits, cats, and monkeys, among other things... I only hear about adverse effects on the rodents (wait, what the hell is a rabbit?). I'm sure the adverse effects have to do with lack of mastery over the technique, and is not inherent in cloning. Beer,

El Mamerro

Archived