Guest HOST18 DYM

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2d935b3127cce9eb3c71eafb30000003410'>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 10, 2002

PR-180-02

www.nyc.gov

MAYOR BLOOMBERG KICKS OFF CITYWIDE GRAFFITI CLEANUP

WITH ANTI-GRAFFITI TASK FORCE

Mayor Urges Community Groups to Join Anti-Graffiti Efforts and Improve Quality of Life

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg today announced a multi-agency graffiti cleanup, which will be led by the City's Anti-Graffiti Task Force with the assistance of local community groups throughout the five boroughs. Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes, Senior Advisor to the Mayor Vincent La Padula, Community Assistance Unit (CAU) Commissioner Jonathan Greenspun, Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe, and Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty joined Mayor Bloomberg for the announcement in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

"Graffiti is not just an eyesore; it is an invitation to criminals and a message to citizens that we don't care," Mayor Bloomberg said. "This strategic effort will enlist community groups and coordinate City agencies to remove graffiti as soon as it appears and punish those who are responsible. No matter what neighborhood you live in, you should not have to tolerate this urban blight."

"Graffiti contributes to a feeling of disorderliness and fear," said La Padula, who oversees the Task Force. "Those are ingredients for increased crime. The City's goal is to work with local civic groups to restore order and preserve community life."

Coordinated by CAU, the Task Force will attack graffiti throughout the five boroughs, focusing on the Grand Concourse in the Bronx; Borough Park, Bay Ridge, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, and Bushwick in Brooklyn; Inwood, Turtle Bay, and Harlem in Manhattan; Astoria, Sunnyside, and Woodside in Queens; and New Dorp, Port Richmond, and West Brighton in Staten Island.

During the anti-graffiti campaign, the Department of Sanitation will operate two power washers and two paint trucks. The Department of Parks and Recreation will operate power washers, paint, and spray rigs to remove graffiti and expand its inspections to look for graffiti in the City's large parks and small playgrounds. The Economic Development Corporation will operate a fleet of ten trucks to eliminate graffiti in the City's industrial, commercial, and maritime areas.

The NYPD will provide the resources for extensive investigations into graffiti crimes and will serve as the enforcement arm of the Task Force. In addition to regular patrols that target this form of vandalism, the Police Department will continue to use tips to find and arrest individuals who commit graffiti crimes. In addition, the Mayor's Criminal Justice Coordinator will work with the Police Department, the District Attorneys, and the court system to ensure that graffiti violations are vigorously enforced and prosecuted. To report graffiti vandalism, citizens can call the NYPD's 24-hour quality of life hotline at (888) 677-LIFE (5433).

The Task Force is working with community groups in every borough, including ACORN in the Bronx, the People's Fire House, Inc., in Brooklyn, Heritage Health and Housing, Inc., in Manhattan, the Sunnyside Garden Roosevelt Court Association in Queens, and the 122nd Precinct Community Council in Staten Island. CAU will provide paint and supplies to these local civic organizations to help clean up graffiti in their neighborhoods. Since May, aided by 1,500 gallons of paint recently donated by Home Depot, CAU has distributed 716 gallons of paint and 1,979 supplies, including brushes, roller sleeves, poles, paint trays, and drop cloths. To obtain paint supplies from CAU, citizens can call (212) 788-7413.

The Task Force, established by Executive Order No. 24 of 1995, includes representatives from various City agencies, including the Department of Buildings, the Department of Business Services, the Department of Consumer Affairs, the Department of Cultural Affairs, the Department of Citywide Administrative Services, the Fire Department, the Housing Authority, the Department of Housing Preservation and Development, the Human Resources Administration, the Landmarks Preservation Commission, the Law Department, the Department of Parks and Recreation, the Police Department, the Department of Probation, the Department of Sanitation, the Department of Transportation, and the Department of Youth and Community Development. This year the Task Force already has cleaned 638 locations throughout the City.

www.nyc.gov

(212) 788-2958

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by HOST18 DYM

. Since May, aided by 1,500 gallons of paint recently donated by Home Depot, CAU has distributed 716 gallons of paint and 1,979 supplies, including brushes, roller sleeves, poles, paint trays, and drop cloths. To obtain paint supplies from CAU, citizens can call (212) 788-7413.

now go get ur FREE roller paint and go fuck shit up FUCK THE BUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

why spend millions of dollars trying to stop somwething that will just keep coming back over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

dumbasses

Guest willy.wonka
Originally posted by -Rage-

why spend millions of dollars trying to stop somwething that will just keep coming back over and over...

dumbasses

come on now.. you know its just a front.

hahahaha that program has been in effect since guiliani's 1st year in office and everyone knows how bombed ny still is, the funniest thing i saw was about 2 years ago they were buffing a door in midtown, i went to a bar to have a couple beers left 2 hours later and the buffed door already had a new tag on it, not only does new york have thousands of writers of there own, thousands more make pilgrimages there each year, so bloomberg you can suck my cock,

yeah well all i got to say is they are just paving the way for some new shit like crush said and also like the other guy said go get some bucket paint for free and do a roller in your favorite spot on the house...!!!!

If anyone thinks they are going to stop graff in this city they are nucking futs:)

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by CRUSH KILL DESTROY

not only does new york have thousands of writers of there own, thousands more make pilgrimages there each year

Exactly. Efforts to stop graf can be effective in certain places ... New York isn't one of them.

Don't sleep on those free buckets -- get your roll on.

hahahah this is great......but its kinda fuckin sad that so much money is being put into a hopeless cause....geez build some new schools, plant some fuckin trees, clean up the parks full of hobos and crack addicts, fund shit like aids, breast cancer, women fleeing from abuse, or breed goats...anything is gonna be more successfull than trying to rid a city of graffiti

Guest HOST18 DYM

I really don't think it is possible for the city to ever have graffiti wiped out. it worked on the trains and on the highways but NYC is far too large with far too many writers for this ever to take effect. However I have been noticing alot of avenues catching the buff especially in Brooklyn. I hate to see all that history get taken out, Easy and Joz gates and all. It's pretty sad.

and i quote:

"I ask why, and then comes the inevitable justification that every writer has to believe and take pleasure in, the idea that order will always have to play catch-up with them. "It takes me seconds to do a quick throw-up; it takes them like 10 minutes to clean it," he says. "Who's coming out on top?"

-from the JA article

i dont doubt the nyc heads for a second........

Guest me IS cool

I will never work especially when you have very dedicated, very extreme writers who push the line.... All they will do is fuck with the toys and visitors who don't know what's up.

hahahahah

Originally posted by tEkRoCkS

now go get ur FREE roller paint and go fuck shit up FUCK THE BUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

That was the first thing i thought of after reading that.

but really all that means is the law has even more power to fuck with niggas when they start gettin' up......

Guest blancito

the devil and his advocate

first off all for any of you who seem suprised by this...read the newspaper everyday...its called politics. which just like graffiti involves a lot of posturing. if you go over my piece, i'll find you and kick the shit out of you. if you know this to be true you may be less willing to diss me. the city is saying the same thing. one of the ways politix communicates is with money.

second, there is a theory, in psychology or some shit like that, which is called the 'broken window syndrome' or something. basically its like this; in any given neighborhood if you leave the broken windows broken crime goes up because people look around and rightly see that no one gives a fuck and think they can get away with whatever. graffiti is a broken window in this sense. so in law enforcement terms, you take care of the surface, quality of life shit and you create an environment where people feel like it is not as easy to get away breaking the rules and laws. subway crime went way down when they went clean train.

for example do you feel like it would be easier to hook up some throwies at 79th and 1st ave where its all clean and pristine or around flushing ave and knickerbocker which looks all 'escape from new york'? judging by the amount of damage at the latter, i'd say you all agree.

or to take it further...the latter neighborhood is all fucked up and desolate...honestly, it looks like you could get away with anything, i find burnt out stolen cars all the time...literally like 40 a year. one night while such a car was parked a building or so down from me, my roomate came home late, alone. a car full of what turned out to be real assholes rolled by, took a look around and said...'yo check this, anything goes around here.' if there wasn't four of them with knives, i'm sure the story would have ended differently. somehow i don't imagine that shit happens as often at 79th and 1st (incidentally, while crashing with someone up there for a few months, i never saw even one burnt out car) . appearances do matter, and the city knows this.

its best to understand your adversary's motives. i'm sure they know they are fighting a losing battle. but just like the 'drug war' appearances must be kept up, they can't ignore it. remember; in a capitalist, land ownership rights based society, property crimes are not taken lightly.

also please note that i understand some of the economic, class and race issues that play into this as well, but i'm not going to bore you anymore than i already have. peace, and go wreck shit. just leave my roomate out of it.

this shit has been going on. graffiti free nyc trucks stay driving around buffing shit...and take a look at the grandconcourse...that shit already been buffed and it already has new tags. i dont think they will eliminate graffiti i think its just a move so that people will look around, notice the buffs and forget for a little while what an asshole our new mayor really is. im glad he doesnt have enough money to recycle but he can afford to have a new task force for graffiti (i think this is also a lie and he is refferring to the vandal squad which u all know has been around) the real travesty in this will be the loss of all the old crusty shit around..go out there and flick all the old flavor u can...pretty soon its gonna be all new jacks

Archived