French Fries now cause cancer..

Guest Deist

Guest Deist

*Before you read this keep in mind that Mcdonalds, the largest fast food chain out there has a CURE FOR CANCER foundation...the irony is just to great for word's.*

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Basic foods eaten by millions around the world such as bread, biscuits, potato chips and french fries contain alarmingly high quantities of acrylamide, a substance believed to cause cancer, Swedish scientists said on Wednesday.

The research carried out at Stockholm University in cooperation with

experts at Sweden's National Food Administration, a government food safety

agency, showed that heating of carbohydrate-rich foods, such as potatoes,

rice or cereals formed acrylamide, a much studied substance classified as a

probable human carcinogen.

The research was deemed so important that the scientists decided on the

unusual step of going public with their findings before the research had

been officially published in an academic journal.

"I have been in this field for 30 years and I have never seen anything like

this before," said Leif Busk, head of the food administration's research

department.

Findings unveiled at a news conference called by the food administration

showed that an ordinary bag of potato chips may contain up to 500 times

more of the substance than the top level allowed in drinking water by the

World Health Organization.

French fries sold at Swedish franchises of U.S. fast-food chains Burger

King Corp and McDonald's contained about 100 times the one microgram per

liter maximum permitted by the WHO for drinking water, the study showed.

One milligram, or 0.001 grams, contains 1,000 micrograms.

KNOWN HAZARD

The Environmental Protection Agency classifies acrylamide, a colorless,

crystalline solid, as a medium hazard probable human carcinogen.

According to the International Agency for Research on Cancer, acrylamide

induces gene mutations and has been found in animal tests to cause benign

and malignant stomach tumors.

It is also known to cause damage to the central and peripheral nervous system.

"The discovery that acrylamide is formed during the preparation of food,

and at high levels, is new knowledge. It may now be possible to explain

some of the cases of cancer caused by food," Busk said.

"Fried, oven-baked and deep-fried potato and cereal products may contain

high levels of acrylamide," the administration said.

"Acrylamide is formed during the preparation of food and occurs in many

foodstuffs...Many of the analyzed foodstuffs are consumed in large

quantities, e.g. potato crisps, french fries, fried potatoes, biscuits and

bread."

Among products analyzed in the study were potato chips made by Finnish

company CHIPS ABP, whose shares fell 14.5 percent to six-month lows, as

well as breakfast cereals made by U.S. Kellogg, Quaker Oats Co, part of

PepsiCo Inc, and Swiss Nestle, and Old El Paso brand tortilla chips.

"For us, these are completely new findings which have never before been

known to the world's foodstuffs industry," CHIPS ABP said in a statement to

the Helsinki stock exchange.

Stefan Eriksson, marketing manager Burger King's subsidiary in Sweden, told

Reuters by telephone: "We have received the information and we are

evaluating what it will mean."

Spokesmen for the other companies mentioned in the research were not

immediately available for comment.

NO PRODUCTS WITHDRAWN

Margareta Tornqvist, an associate professor at Stockholm University's

department of environmental chemistry, said the consumption of a single

potato crisp could take acrylamide intake up to the WHO maximum for

drinking water.

Busk said, however, that the product analysis based on more than 100 random

samples was not extensive enough for the administration to recommend the

withdrawal of any products from supermarket shelves.

"Frying at high temperatures or for a long time should be avoided," Busk

said, adding: "Our advice to eat less fat-rich products such as french

fries and crisps, remains valid."

He said the findings applied worldwide, not only to Sweden, as the food raw

materials used in the analyzes had showed no traces of acrylamide.

Swedish authorities had informed the European Commission and EU member

countries, Busk said.

"It is the first time we have come across such a result. We will evaluate

this study and look at it but it is important to say that Sweden has not

withdrawn any products from the market," said European Commission

spokeswoman Beate Gminder.

"Therefore we'll have to see what the scientific evaluation by our side and

by scientists in the member states will bring about," she said.

Liliane Abramsson-Zetterberg, a toxicologist at the Swedish food

administration, said: "The cancer risk from acrylamide is much higher than

(the levels) we accept for known carcinogens."

But smoking, which is known to cause cancer, remained a bigger risk, she said.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Oh yeah. And chips/crisps (that's the word, right?) cause cancer too. If you eat 7,5 kilos daily. Yes, someone actually calculated that.

The only reason they made their results public so early was to cause a scare and make sure their department got funding for the next five years or so.

Some have also speculated that they released these results to scare people into eating more healty food.

So I consider this to be total and utter bullshit until I see further proof that eating fried potatoes now and then actually increases the risk of me getting cancer.

god damnit....I just made some fucking hashbrowns and eggs and now I am afraid to eat them...thanks alot you fucking piece of shit...I would have rather not know that ANOTHER thing will give me cancer....I hope you get some form of cancer caused by ruining my mother fucking day

Guest Deist

Actually it wouldn't be profitable (As test are also being held in the U.S.) in quite a few nations to continue research. Mcdonalds is a huge corporation (The number one toy manufacturer in the U.S. as well) and they pull in large numbers as far as revenue goes with tax and profit.

Lina stated the following : "The only reason they made their results public so early was to cause a scare and make sure their department got funding for the next five years or so. Some have also speculated that they released these results to scare people into eating more healthy food.

So I consider this to be total and utter bullshit until I see further proof that eating fried potatoes now and then actually increases the risk of me getting cancer."

So you believe that studies were conducted all over the world, specifically to raise health awareness, not by farmers, not by health food markets but by scientist's.. who would gain NO profit from a change in American nutrition? Hmmm...yea ..sure. Makes a lot of sense. If you want to argue research funding.. that would have to be a massive conspiracy against fast food chains.

As far as it being "utter bullshit" because you haven't seen proof, theres testing on lab animals..mamals,apes for that matter who have been shown to be at higher risk of cancer after eating such foods.

Guest Deist
Originally posted by Zack Morris

god damnit....I just made some fucking hashbrowns and eggs and now I am afraid to eat them...thanks alot you fucking piece of shit...I would have rather not know that ANOTHER thing will give me cancer....I hope you get some form of cancer caused by ruining my mother fucking day

Boo hoo. Cry me a river. You chose to come in here by your own choice.

If your afraid to eat a hash brown thats your problem, get over it or perhaps you can go whine some where else... And if this really did ruin your day then..shit you need to get out more.

Guest Deist
Originally posted by Wilt

who gives a shit..if you didn't know..everything causes cancer....

You obviously gave enough of a shit to reply and in case your not aware everything will not cause cancer. By using your thought process i could say that punching a rag doll twice would give a person melanoma. Im sure you'll reply with some comment meant to be cool or witty or defend yourself by saying its the internet and your not serious. Wonderfull.

wow...something else that may or may not cause cancer...remeber when they used to tell you a glass of wine a day would keep you healthy and then it turned out people who drink a glass of wine a day tend to be in an upper income bracket and lead healthier lives anyway and it had nothing to do with wine at all...yeah, after that i realized scientists dont really know shit...

if you generally live healthy youll be healthy...if you try and avoid everything science thinks is bad for you at the moment youll probably just turn into a malnourished stress ball and die at the age of 33...

Guest Deist
Originally posted by boogie hands

wow...something else that may or may not cause cancer...remeber when they used to tell you a glass of wine a day would keep you healthy and then it turned out people who drink a glass of wine a day tend to be in an upper income bracket and lead healthier lives anyway and it had nothing to do with wine at all...yeah, after that i realized scientists dont really know shit...

if you generally live healthy youll be healthy...if you try and avoid everything science thinks is bad for you at the moment youll probably just turn into a malnourished stress ball and die at the age of 33...

Couldnt Agree more. Aside from what gnes 37 said.

Guest Deist
Originally posted by Zack Morris

next your going to tell me smoking causes cancer......and deist I am guessing you didn't pick up on the zack morris style sarcasm in my last reply....calm down

Sarcasm doesn't usually adhere to the statement previously made, maybe you didn't get my sarcasm when I said cry me a river. Id rather just think you wanted to impress your 12oz "Peers" and come off as just oh so cool ... you really succeeded. (Did you catch the sarcasm zach? huh huh did ya?)

I'll change nothing about my diet.

Genes are on my side: not much cancer in my family, and a history of eating fried and high-fat, high cholesterol food without undue adverse effects. The worst example of health habits in my family (bacon & eggs every breakfast, red meat diet, 2 packs a day smoked since teens, 1.75 liters of Jack Daniels per week for many decades) lived well into his seventies.

I prefer to treat life like it's gonna be short, and pack in the excitement while I'm young. If I die younger than I wanted, it's OK, at least I didn't waste my youth working 9 to 5 for the man, or making myself miserable by forfeiting what I enjoy in the hopes of tacking on a couple more years to my lifespan. If I live longer, great - icing on the cake.

Fuck, all this talk of fries is making me hungry.

Guest Retnilps

good job cracked ass. i thought you were gone man, you name on some of the threads in the train section had no links. good to see you around.

Archived