THE OS GEMEOS THREAD

brown twinkie

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

chicken bone......thanks for posting those....i would have, but i got

fed up with yourphotos...

some of those were already posted as welll....and half of them aren't showing up(for me anyhow)..

good score on the bathroom flick, i've never seen that one.

eatyourveggies..i hear you loud.................so many avenues yet to be explored.......

to see this stuff in person, in its environment would be incredible..............sonik you are one lucky dood. 10%!!!!!!!!???!?!!! jeez.....

HOOOOLY SHITBALLS!wowzers.it doesn't get much better.with the exception of the transcenders and a few others out there,the twins are definitely the best on the planet.thanks for this post brown.this thread should be up at the top for at least a month http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//eek.gif'> http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//eek.gif'> http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//eek.gif'> http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//eek.gif'>

Guest the ISZ!

MENTAL i understand what youre saying. There arent really a whole lot of prolific writers here in the U.S.. I think Os Gemeos have such a great impact because, like it has been said over and over again, their art is a direct expression of their culture. I mean, their society is completely different from ours in every sense. For those of us who grew up here in the U.S. we probably havent experienced anything that could possibly be compared to what they have experienced in their life. They took what they had and made the best of it, which is what i think everyone should do. It is possible however, i believe, to express our lives and our culture in graffiti, but like you said, few writers are willing enough to express and create something other than their name. We could start from scratch and learn from Os Gemeos because clearly, they are ahead of all of us in the art of pure creation. But if we did that, we would just be imitating them, and we cant have that. Maybe someday in the near future someone else will push the envelope and we will all bask in the grandeur that is creation once again. But dont take my word for it, im nobody.

------------------

it is only after you have lost everything that you are free to do anyhting- Tyler Durden

first of all i love this post and os gemeos.

BUT

there's a lot of people trying to attribute the exceptionalism of their art to their environment. which i think, is perhaps a factor, well it is a factor but a small one. it's disrespectful to them as artists to believe that the "exotocism" of brasil and all it's poverty and "mystical brown people" are actually the things that make their art what it is. or even the principal factor in what it is. no, fuck that.

these guys are simply unbelievable artists. who work extremely hard and put tons of thought power into what it is that they do. any social commentary or whatever is a product of their own minds, consciously and meticulously placed in a space that makes sense. this commentary and beauty of their art does not just jump off of the wall because their works are painted in brasil, it's all preconceived. or largely.

os gemeos are truly exceptional.

but their work is not exceptional simply because it is made in ghettoes of brasil. the type of thing they are doing could happen anywhere, with obviously a different regional/stylistic/subject flavor which makes the artwork more relevant to life in that area. it should happen everywhere.

work harder. bend more "rules." all this other nonsense is just a testament to the stagnancy of graffiti.

To build on what Tearz is getting at here, and hopefully clarify my own position, since I wrote that longass article about the Gemeos, I have a special stake in how they come to be viewed in the rest of the world...

Brasil has the widest scale of poverty and wealth in a dense area that I know of to be available in the world. The Gemeos are white middle class kids in this, no more, no less. What makes their world special is that they see things on both ends of the spectrum, rich and poor, and make direct commentary about it. I've never seen a city where street art works so well as in Sao Paulo. The Gemeos just head the field up in this.

The Gemeos/Brasil article I produced for 12 Ounce Six definately had some exoticized tendancies, but I give myself credit. I wrote that as a well-to-do white kid who had just seen Sao Paulo favelas for the first time. No amount of "down white boy" ghetto pass status as a writer or hip hopper in the US is gonna soften that shock, I guarantee you that. Poverty in the USA just doesn't even play the same sport as poverty in Brasil. The article was honest as best I could do, and a lot of that had to do with conveying the soul-rattling shock of me going to Sao Paulo and seeing that side of the world for the first time.

But that reply that eatyourvegetables or whatever wrote is dead on.... you can certainly paint this level of feeling if you want. You can be in the emotional league of guys like the Gemeos, like Twist, like Revs.... guys who FEEL. The Gemeos, certainly, have a running start when it comes to painting crazy, emotionally taxing stuff, they just have to walk around. They paint what they see. But for the rest of us, us normal folk from decent surroundings and comfort... there's still hope, without resorting to the oh-me poetic stylings of Tyler Durden and his White Man's Burden...

There's real beauty out there, and chances are, if you've ever loved someone, felt the throb of the city, or the calm of nature.... you can paint with as much much feeling as the Gemeos can.

Just not as well.

I run into this every day of my life.

Love,

Sonik3000

Sociedade Alternativa

First off, I'd like to say that I hear all you guys loud and clear. Teary, mental, twinkie, veggies, you all are speaking out of my throat. Not only are the twins taking graffiti to another level, they are making street art as we know it into a whole different genre. Nobody else is creating such innovating, intricate and sophisticating characters and designs that speak so strongly about their culture as they are. Everything from the U.S. is all the same. Graffiti, like veggies said, is not just a matter of good throwies or the pretty leters or colors, and these guys are what I love to see in graffiti. People who aren't going with the newest fads, they're painting their opinions. Letter forms don't matter, all that matters is your statement and how well you convey that statement. People like ESPO, Revs, Twist, I think they do that very well, too.

I know it's a fairly large generalization, I overstated, but when you flip through an American mag like Scribble, all you see is the same stuff. No one dares to be different. Do you see what I'm trying to say? There are exceptions, of course, with people like Revs, Twist and Espo making the streets art galleries. Os Gemeos are an example of people who, if they were in the formal art business, would be spoken highly of by fine art connoisseurs. Sorry if what I said came out wrong.

Originally posted by rancid:

I know it's a fairly large generalization, I overstated, but when you flip through an American mag like Scribble, all you see is the same stuff. No one dares to be different. Do you see what I'm trying to say? There are exceptions, of course, with people like Revs, Twist and Espo making the streets art galleries. Os Gemeos are an example of people who, if they were in the formal art business, would be spoken highly of by fine art connoisseurs. Sorry if what I said came out wrong.

I agree...though I think the fact that you see the same stuff over and over in mags like scribble says more about those magazines than anything else. I think there are a lot of dope people out there doing their own thing, but for whatever reason -maybe they live in the wrong city, maybe they're too poor, maybe they just don't like the taste of stamps...whatever it is, they just don't show up in mags all the time so people in the rest of the country haven't heard of them..but they ARE out there. I think that's some of the attraction of fr8's -it's a relatively even playing field, with no censorship or playing favorites.

..and just to pimp for los gemelos for a sec -they make an ill mag called Fiz -check it out!

[This message has been edited by Mr.LonelyHeart (edited 09-10-2001).]

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Tesseract:

They are so good,you'just have to love what they do.Two things i always think when i see their stuff.First, they might be the only ones that their characters are way off being cartoon style or just formalistic painting...its just real art(i dont really like characters except those to tell you the truth).

Second,they get much respect not only for being dope,but for bringing graff to their own terittory and for breaking all standards and stereotypes of what graff is. By understanding that they dont live in the states and by respecting the culture of their own country they create something that truly belongs to them.Have you seen walls looking so great by their own anywhere else?

Any ny wannabe writer would paint that wall just to make his piece look similar to the ones hes overexposed to.Can you imagine those characters fit better somewhere else than those walls?

Anyway,each city deserves its own graff,Thats why i concider the piece that they did with loomit bad.

I thought about it again and its way more serious.I really dont understand why would someone want to paint a piece with os gemeos.Loomits piece with them just seemed odd.It seems to me that the biggest and most annoying stereotype of graffiti is that all things can get mixed up on the same wall.And that all writers can paint together.Dont get me wrong,Sometimes it works really good.But some things just dont mix.

"I really dont understand why would someone want to paint a piece with os gemeos."

Ummmmm... every wall I've done in Brasil with the Gemeos has been one of my personal favorites, especially the ones with the rest of the crew, Vitche, Cobale, Nina, Tinho....

Oh, and bump.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Sonik3000:

"I really dont understand why would someone want to paint a piece with os gemeos."

Ummmmm... every wall I've done in Brasil with the Gemeos has been one of my personal favorites, especially the ones with the rest of the crew, Vitche, Cobale, Nina, Tinho....

Oh, and bump.

I feel like you misunderstood what i just said.I can only respect you for being and painting there, you're probably the reason i've even heard about Gemeos.

So please dont get me wrong.If you can recall the piece they did with loomit you prolly understand what i'm talking about.

Its just that i feel that their work is so unique and whole that doesnt easily combine with other stuff.I aint talking about painting on the same wall, i am talking about doing the same piece with them.

Originally posted by the ISZ!:

...We could start from scratch and learn from Os Gemeos because clearly, they are ahead of all of us in the art of pure creation. But if we did that, we would just be imitating them, and we cant have that. Maybe someday in the near future someone else will push the envelope ... im nobody.

i find it more of an imitation to paint white straight letters with a black outline/3d, and a white forcefield, with some harbor blue lines in the 3d. and dont you, or anyone reading this, think that "oh, i am nobody, i cant paint anything expressive or interesting." thats that attitude that kills graff or graff art. my outlook is, if you can have an interesting conversation, you can paint an interesting piece of art. theyre equal to me.

also i want to clarify this, all letters arent boring to me! i enjoy the message i see in pieces or blocks or whatever. i like "rise above" blockbusters on a toys r us rooftops in the middle of a major commercial area. (< for example!) its just that names dont mean shit, some selected letters that look good together- thats why i dont like. of course thats how most writers start, but then may change to something with a dope message for others to think about.

so thats what i think, a friend told me this once, that michaelangelo said "the point of his work was to ATTRACT AND INSTRUCT." style and substance. so many i see have the style, but whos got substance?

Guest imported_Tesseract

Not all things should be "deep" in order to have substance."Selected letters that look nice" is a science,to put it more direct,is Graff.Plain beauty,structure or function(to the point where it becomes organic)has a lot of substance.

I think you mean skills not style.Style is substance its a statement.

Attractive is something more than interesting

Originally posted by Tesseract:

Not all things should be "deep" in order to have substance."Selected letters that look nice" is a science,to put it more direct,is Graff.Plain beauty,structure or function(to the point where it becomes organic)has a lot of substance.

I think you mean skills not style.Style is substance its a statement.

Attractive is something more than interesting

being deep isnt my point. direct understandable, readable (not in a letter sense) art is more benficial to me than encryptic whatever.

i said "selected letters" referring to the way writers choose the word they write, sometimes bc they fit nice together, instead of pushing a meaning.

all i mean by substance is, what the artwork says, the thoughts put into the work. letters can have substance, but the majority of the letters i have seen, dont say anything interesting.

i dont believe "graff", as you say, is letters. letters are the most popular form of graf, but thats not what it is. its any marking of a surface, from tags to cahracters to a big long line going from a window on a building into the street and down a drain, thats graffiti.

no i DO mean style, the way a piece is visually presented, from parallel lines to fades to whatever, the elements of design, thats what i mean by style. "skills" are needed for that tho, i agree.

this looks a miscommunication, so any questions anyone has, ask them. email me whatever. AOL IM: riseabove214

those last 2 lines of your quote i dont understand..??? explain

its a real shame that something thats beautiful and free, has had restrictions and copyrights placed on it in the name of money and ownership....

at the request of the guys at lost art brazil, all the images

i posted have been deleted, even though they were not

directly linked to the website. the remaining photos should

probably be deleted as well, and especially if they are directly

linked to their site(chicken bone)....

go to their site and look around

if you want to see the twins work and the work of others...

blahg.....

It's NOT about money.

It's About respect for the time (and cost) we take to share these images.

We don't charge to exhibit them,

but we pay to photograph them, for

transport to the places where they

exist (you wouldn't ever be able to

go to some of these places, believe us),

to process the film, to host them on our

site.

The pieces exist in the streets of SP.

But not everyone who is interested in their work lives here, so we provide a small service by sharing these images.

We don't charge for anything, our photography isn't motivated by money, but it needs money to continue.

If we photographed graffiti to illustrate graff forums we would literally be starving.

What is wrong about wanting to keep our images on our own site?

Judging from the positive feedback we receive from visitors to our site, we don't think it is such a big deal.

Besides, it seems obvious that most of the people who steal photos are exactly the ones who aren't out there creating anything new, or shooting their own.

It is very easy to steal, quite different than creating.

Archived