major fucking bullshit nazi ass mother fuckers

Guest whydontyudie

Guest whydontyudie

read this shit and then take a shit on your nearest record exec who isnt indie...

my bad that was stupid but read on my good friends

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2002/usedcd.html

Record Industry Wants Royalties for Used CDs

By Richard Menta 6/16/02

I have come to the conclusion that the music industry must be ruled by organized crime because everything they do is a shakedown.

One of the most prominent examples is for the industry to distort the notion that you buy a CD by claiming that all this time you have been only renting it. That is a lie, but one the lobbyists and lawyers for the industry will chant in unison as they enter the courts and the legislature to contort the fair use laws to their fiscal advantage.

The Creative Nomad 3 is available on Amazon

The latest example came across my monitor from the San Diego Union Tribune. Used CD sales have been skyrocketing over the last few years and the record industry doesn't like it. The reason is that they don't get a cut of the action. They shouldn't, they made their money on the CD already and, once sold, that disc became what the legal community calls chattel, i.e. a possession that can be re-sold, traded, lent, or given away by its owner.

According to the Tribune the record industry is considering charging used CD retailers a royalty for every CD they resell. That falls in line with the "rent" theory Big Music wishes to push on consumers. You can't resell that CD because you don't own it. Therefore, they are entitled to additional rent once it leaves your hand and goes to another.

As they say in the UK, Bollocks!

There is reason that the used CD market is booming. It is because new CDs continue to skyrocket in price as the industry uses its stranglehold on the consumer to push prices up. Consumers, unwilling or unable to pay these ridiculously expanding prices are doing what all consumers do when things get too expensive. They look for alternative ways to spend their money.

Last year I wrote an article called 6 CDs that addresses this issue. 6 CDs constitute the number of new records the average consumer purchases in a year. Does this mean this is all the music we ever listen to? Heck no, it just means that new records are too expensive and so we must be extremely selective over which discs we turn into a purchase.

We as consumers then supplement our music through various ways. This includes free sources like the radio, MTV, file trading, & cassette recording. It also includes paying less through the purchase of used CDs.

And it is no wonder that used CDs have taken off in the last couple of years. The industry has forced upon the consumer the introduction of the $20 CD, one of several price increases in the last several years. You can do that when you have cartel power. The problem is a CD was already way too much.

The $20 CD will price only more people out. The industry then has the gall to scream that because record sales are down a mere 5% in a recession it must all be because of piracy. Now that they have targeted the used CD market as a lucrative venue, they are calling the sale of used records without giving them a taste of the revenue - yes, you guessed it - piracy.

From the Tribune story "Royalties proposed for booming used market as new-CD sales stagnate"

The industry worries that the expanding used market is cannibalizing new-CD sales, as well as promoting piracy by allowing consumers to buy, record and sell back discs while retaining their own digitally pristine copies.

One proposed remedy being debated by record label executives is federal legislation requiring used-CD retailers to pay royalties on secondary sales of albums.

A cover story in last week's issue of the music trade publication Billboard quoted several executives who said they favor the establishment of an agency that would exert a flat royalty rate - say, 6 percent or so - on retailers' sales of CDs sold over and over again.

Frankly, it is the record industry itself that is the wearing the eye patch and parrot on the shoulder.

Personally, I have purchased more CDs in the last couple of years than ever before despite the raise in prices. That is because my mind and ears have been opened to a much broader array of music than the record labels or the radio stations want me to listen to.

The problem is every time I just pick up a CD in the store now I can't help but feel I am a sucker for doing so. I am a sucker for supporting an industry that overcharges for their product. I am a sucker for supporting an industry that bullies their own artists, record stores, teenagers who trade, libraries, and even the federal government when their well-funded lobbyists can get away with it.

Most of all - as I hold in my hand that CD of some artist whose music I really want and whose efforts I truly want to support - that buying that small silver disc at the record store is simply a bad value.

I wonder how many other record buyers have thought the same thing.

With that thought, what surprises me is that record sales have not dropped 30% this year based on greedy industry practices alone.

And that is another reason why I think the promotional effects of the Napster clones have done more help record sales than hurt it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest KING BLING

...but look at it this way, opinions are always there in the writer, the ones who hide theirs often give themselves away in the ommision of information or just plain manipulation. I thaught the article gave me enough information from his point of view, and thats what it should be for...I also agree with the article

Guest ctrl+alt+del
Originally posted by suburbian bum

The problem with that article is it contains a lot of personal opinion. I agree with that persons opinion in this case but that is generally a bad thing in a news article if its not an editorial or commentary.

true, it goes against some of the fundamentals of writing that i learned way back when.

but about the message of the article itself....the record industry is greedy as fuck, and they really need to be shown that they cant keep pushing everyone around.

on a side note, if i drew a big circle around my bellybutton, it would look like a pokemon ball, because i sat outside all today and have a tanline along my stomach. white on one side, red on the other.

Guest Stapler

Record Executives are the greediest mother fuckers ever. They are rich enough now to be rich for the rest of their lives BUT NO THEY WANT MORE.

the record industry

and the postal service

bending us over the railing for years

did you know the postal service wants to put a fee on emails you send?

a fee for used cds is bullshit to say the least

i bought the damn thing i can sell it if i want to

Guest whydontyudie

dont post in my threads mang, you are stupid.

and yeah these fucks are outta control, soon someone will be ablet o take them big record corps to court on monopoly charges, i hope theylose. ANywho i got my mp3 collection stacked to about 2000 songs now and ill be dammned if i cant get more. You cant stop piracy, ima pirate and i just saw blackhawkdown running off my hardrive last night for free which was ripped from the master DVD. So to the industry fuck off cause thats all you are, desamating the true artforms of expression for your own financial gain.

thats all

RIP blink_ATX

ok im gonna drop some of my thoughts here..

#1) Music is starting to sucks these days. At least rock does for the most point....notice how everyone(including myself) has trouble figuring out who sings what, and has now just gone back in time...etc, jimmi, zepplin are very popular now with people who were never around during their time..

This is why so many cds are bought used, and why many people are burning cd's...

Why do we want to buy a whole cd that has only one good song on it?

Esp for 20$$??

i dont want to...

rip audio galaxy.....:(

i was thinking about this yesterday, why do these rich rich rich motherfuckers need to continually sodomize music lovers in any way possible? i mean.....how much business do you REALLY think that audiogalaxy or the original napster was taking away from them? im willing to wager that record sales in billboard or wherever stats of that kind could be found would say that so and so has sold eleventy billion records.......theres no shortage of people out there buying, yet these guys need to get more and more cash. fuck them.

also, what about alot of the more indie/underground groups who are in music for the FUCKING SAKE OF MUSIC and making something that people will enjoy listening to? theyre suffering too i bet, i mean.....i could always find most of the hard to locate shit on AG....and now what? i have to search for shit on cocksucking kazaa and not find shit? woo hoo, thanks alot fag fucking corportate music and crying ass trillionaire musicians who dont care about the people who support them anyway. shallow fucks.

i buy cds and shit at shows to try and like....help bands out and whatever because i know that they need it and if i'm feeling their stuff, then yeah, ill buy it, but i dont have alot of money myself so being able to get a crapload of stuff for free was really nice. but this crap is just hosed.

Archived