computer help for musicians?

mental invalid

not for me, but rather an amigo of mine.......

he is not really at all knowledgable about computers (nor am i) and what he needs to get...he just got information overload from a few sleazy sales doods.....so i thought i might be able to get the straight scoop from some heads on the boards...

so guys and gals whats your machine? whats is hardware? whats its software?

basically he is a jazz player looking to do mixing, recording, electronics, etc etc.....

all information appreciated........thanks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hahaha.....not sure the kid was so fucking flustered....it was kinda funny actually....basically the guy was pushing the g4 both lap top and desktop......what im wondering is what kinda hard drive and processor ya need to run the tight programs...i figure he'll need a few grand to get up and running....he currently doesnt own a computer but wants to dive into the shit, and believe me when he dives its deep, so im thinking he should just get something he can grow into.....but i dont know shit...so please smart feel free to ramble on good man.....

well, I don't know too much about the Mac side of Audio, but... tell him to stay away from a laptop, pointless and likely underpowered. The desktop with a dual processor is the best platform for any long term studio plans as it has a processor that will remain pretty freakin fast for the next few years. Also, max out the RAM, can't have too much... I suppose the most popular program for Mac is Pro Tools, which is pretty expensive... lemme look around and see what programs I use on PC that have Mac versions too... Ill send you an email when I get it together...

Guest --zeSto--

here's the simple set up...

get a Mac Tower (G3 800mhz is plenty fast enough)

A full version of Pro-Tools (can be found for free)

some kind of audio i/o box like this

get cubase too (if only for the vst plug-ins)

then attach a decent mizer that you already have into the loop before the i/o...

and you're rocking!

cool thanks smart and zes, ill check out my emails....doesnt need to be mac or pc specific.....im just wondering what heads are using out there....ya know like i use a (blank) and this is the software i use.....something that he can research further....i know we got musicans in here....holla

Originally posted by --zeSto--

here's the simple set up...

get a Mac Tower (G3 800mhz is plenty fast enough)

A full version of Pro-Tools (can be found for free)

some kind of audio i/o box like this

get cubase too (if only for the vst plug-ins)

then attach a decent mizer that you already have into the loop before the i/o...

and you're rocking!

definitely should get up on Pro-Tools if you wanna get down on some audio... rock that shit.

the best audio software for mac is deck II. similar to pro tools but in my opinion a bit better. but together makes the levels perfect. i'd suggest your friend to take a class somewhere that offers a computer sound studio course and get a copy from the teacher. he should choose his computer based upon how many seperate tracks he plans on having. when recording stuff with my laptop it tends to cut off at around two minutes.

Guest --zeSto--

if you're looking to do pure 'electro-ish' music... there's a great sequencing program called ReBirth.

It's essentially a software 303, 606, 808, synth, sampler and sequencer all together.

it's from propellerheads software... a fun time to be had by all!

actually, I think ReBirth is two 303's, an 808 and a 909... I use it to write all my drum tracks and for some bass lines... then every so often I'll do some super electronic stuff, ReBirth is real fun... I also used Sound Forge as my recording/track editing program then I take everything into Acid or Samplitude...

Sorry I haven't dropped the mail yet Roe, I got a buncha shit on my plate all of a sudden... so, later tonight or tomorrow for that...

myself, i use acid, soundforge, fruity loops, and rebirth-but all i want is a g4 (the only time a laptop is as good as a desktop-the only difference is storage space, but that's why they make ZIP drives)

protools is an awesome program, but you need the hardware to take advantage of it, otherwise you might as well be using CuBase or SoundForge (both good progs in their own right), and the full (hard & soft) for protools will cost you close to $10,000, minimum. as far as other equipment, put the money into a VERY good soundcard that has I/O with RCA or 1/4"...

oh yeah, and do your homework-go to Borders or Barnes & Noble (you get the idea) and read music mags that talk about that kind of thing, read books...blah...blah...blah....

Guest --zeSto--

^ two things

zip disc? zip disc? what the hell are you going to fit on a zip disk?

You can barely fit large photoshop file on a zip disc... but for media storage.. not a chance!

Go for a Lacie Firewire 40gb (or bigger)

and go for XLR connection with the i/o (or maybe 1/4inch) but not RCA.

Guest --zeSto--

yeah.. that works... you could do it with dual (or even a single) P3.

and like it was pointed out... the audio i/o box is the most important piece of the puzzle.

and where's my Rob ?

ideally I would build my own setup. but your friend "is not very knowledgable", so he's screwed. tell him to stick with a pc, one that is easy to upgrade later on (i.e. lots of open slots of all kinds). tell him to get as much as he can afford. there is a shitload of programs available for the PC, lots of them are very very good. I have been making, not very professional, music on Fruityloops. sometimes I use Acid, or Cakewalk, or a host of other programs. PC software is very easy to come by. I think that is the biggest plus. he will be able to do just about anything with a PC, plus if he stays away from the companies with the big market share he will be able to buy a really fast computer for an affordable price. I am biased, though. the end.

Like the guy above said, I would go for a PC (but im bias, so hey!)...

You can't fuck with Reason - They just released version 2 recently. A must have.

Sound forge is very nice for sampling and tweeking the little babies up. I've used cubase did'nt really like it and preffered Acid Xpress for sequencing much more. Fruityloops is a nice little loop beat making program to play around with too.

i have a p3 750mhz pc.

i use soundforge for recording and sound manipulation.

i use fruity loops to sequence drums and acid to sequence samples.

vegas pro for multi tracks.

i'd go w/ an external eq though.... software equalizers tend not to be so great.

i jsut use a soundblaster soundcard.. but there are much better cards out there.. try http://www.fullcompass.com

i got my studio monitors from there for pretty cheap. so yeah.. invest in some good monitors. i have a pair of yamaha msp5's... sound great and very loud for their size.

as far as inputs on the comp... def try to get something that allows xlr's.. but they can be quite pricey. i believe roland has something for this... it ocmes w/ a small mixing board, but i think it's like 5000. there are a lot better programs out than acid and soundforge and such though..tend to be rarer... i would go w/ a pc though, simply because you have more choices in software and it's cheaper. though i hear macs, are nice.

and yeah.. lots of ram.

i have a question of my own

i saw this show in milwaukee, and the cat there was playing a guitar hooked up to a wah wah and a comp. i guess he had something going that allowed his guitar to get other sounds (like piano, etc).

anyone know how one would go about this?

Guest --zeSto--

^ yeah... it's called MIDI

it was an electric guitar right? A really plastic looking one right?

because unless he has some bizarro equipment... it's MIDI.

most often it's a keyboard style input, but they have guitars and even saxophones now.

I used to use midi voice boxes on the regular.

i have found my dream thread, getting to tell off my computers! first... the computer i'm on right now is home built amd 1.4 ghz, 1 gig of ram, etc... not my music making machine.

my music maker is a Mac G4 900mhz, 512 megs ram, and i have a 40 gig firewire hd, 40 gig internal hd, and another separate 60 gig firewire drive. i run a Yamaha O2R into all of it, with instruments/mics into that, which i then run into the computer. i am working ProTools, Fruity Loops (sucks!) and Cubase, as well... Cubase 5.0 is a great program to get, especially for sequencing. Vanity hit the spot... get good monitor speakers... Tannoy or Genelec if you can afford them... but i have a couple Yamaha NS-10M's and a little pair of Tannoys.

of course if you aren't that rich (my father has gotten piles of money from producing such acts as santana in the 70s, clapton, cream, etc) you can just get a decent Mac (g3 or so), Protools, a couple external hard drives, and my favorite cheap mixer would be anything Roland, since they are good digital mixers with decent powering. www.rolandus.com

www.sounicfoundry.com

www.steinberg.com

www.yamaha.com

wow glad its a dream thread.......

what i am wondering though is how much equipment a jazz guitarist needs in order to lay down tracks/loops/some electronic/ and record....

binary whats a rough estimate of the price on that? no need if you dont wants......

thanks guys....basically im just gonna print this out next week and just give it to him....i appreciate the knowledge dropping,

roe

well, like ole boy said before.. he just uses a 4 track. so all your guy would really need (assuming he needs more) is probably just a mixing board and one of those digital multi tracks (i think you can getup to like 300 tracks)

Guest BROWNer

roe bro...

alright. sorry for the tardiness.

somebody said laptops are no good???!

wrong, i've used laptops exclusively for the

past 5 years. and now, the argument doesn't

hold at all. so....for any type of creative application

its best to go for the top line comp. the most ram

and the chunkiest hd.

as far as software.....i don't know what to tell you.

i'm on mac, and most of my stuff came from trial

and error free/sharewarez....and for me, they worked

awesome. the more big end shit you have...sometimes

it kills your creativity becuz you have too many options.

less is more sometimes.

but if he's really up into some high end shit off the bat

then i guess....protools? i don't know. its different

for everyone i guess. i stay away from alot of programs.

if he wants to make some real fucked up music he

might want to look into max/msp from cycling'74.com

or go with the reaktor stuff....but it sounds like he's more

traditional steezo. did i just recycle everyone's comments?

oh well. i felt guilty from the suck thread that i didn't drop by.

cheers bro, hope that helps.

Archived