crate digging.

dropone

i know some of you out there know what i mean. its fucking addicting. im not even a dj. i collect records for the pure enjoyment of the sound and the feeling you get when you root through piles and piles of records to find that one sick gem in the cheapie bin. call me a nerd but that is a fucking rush!!! Id like to know what you people look for when crate digging. if its a record i havent heard i usually look at the date and the artwork on the sleeve. most of what ive been collecting is jazz, funk, soul, ragtime, big band, blues, some hip hop etc.

recent finds:

original miles davis "kind of blue"

ac/dc "back in black"

original clockwork orange soundtrack.

blackbyrds, the one with rock creek park.

pink floyds "the wall"

ohio players "skin tight"

dj shadow and cut chemist "product placement" double lp

im always looking for anything by eddy senay. this guy is out of control funky.

original herbie hancock and the headhunters.

walter benton with freddy hubbard and wynton kelly.

original soundtrack to "the sting"

most of those are mediocre finds but i think theyre ok. im kind of just starting out. if any of you collect post what youve been picking up.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

To get the really good old vinyl, you have to look in out-of-the-way places. Record stores are not it. Look in flea markets, estate sales, Second Hand stores and places like that. Most of the old stuff I've found was in pretty poor shape, scratched, beat covers, no record jacket, but I've found some gems, too. And none of this paying $65 for a record crap. If you can't get it for less than $5, fuck it. Most of the records I found this way I got for $1 or $2.

Guest --zeSto--

there's a store called 'The Vinyl Record Museam' in Clearwater FL.

They used to have a store up here in the Tundra, but I guess it got too cold.

They have EVERYTHING!

You're not going to find much of the dead, or hendrix or other popular stuff.

But if you do... it's original and priced like it. But they had just soooooo

much stuff that it was a crate digging paradise.

I wasn't even old enough to really appreciate it, but I did get a box of records for nothing.

You can tell the real deal record shops by the number of 45's they carry.

i used to try to dig for funk all the time but it's so risky and time consuming. If you pick up like 10 records you've never heard going on sleeve art alone, maybe 2 will be any good.

in the last couple years i've been heavy into looking for those obscure records that had little to no market. Sound effect records, story records, how to be a salesman...

some recent scores: 1-4 of the gremlins story series and a record on how to make friends.

For thoseof you who actually listened to the radio show you know what's up!

fucking yea! hunting vinyl is addictive, been at it for years but the record shops round my way have been shit recently, been getting into charity shops more, you need to check the same ones really regular but you get some nice surprises if you persevere...stuff i've got recently is Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers : Kyoto LP, Fatback Band : Yum Yum (Gimme Some) 7" & Do The Bus Stop 7", DJ Shadow : Midnight In A Perfect World 12" (:eek:) Joy Division : Love Will Tear Us Apart 12", New Order : Blue Monday 12", Kraftwerk : The Model 7" some Soul & Northern Soul and of course the random crap you find like comedy and sound effects records...my mate has more luck than me (we compete for the same shops) he's had Lee Perry 7"s, Massive Attack 7"s, and shitloads of Soul...none of any of these cost more than a can of pepsi or whatever...also if there's no records i can at least find a decent book dirtcheap

Guest Dyptheria

i sometimes find some really great stuff at thrift stores for 50 cents. but usually, used record stores have really great stuff for two or three bucks

I got AC/DC's "Back In Black" for 2 cigarettes from this guy who was hard up for cash.......it is un-opened,still in the plastic,and has the price sticker on it.....dated from 1981.....you want to buy it?...nah,just kidding,I wouldn't want to sell it anyway.that is a gem.

Originally posted by dropone

original clockwork orange soundtrack.

blackbyrds, the one with rock creek park.

what version of the clockwork orange soundtrack. i believe there are two different ones. one has an extened version of "timesteps". I've them both.

that blackbyrds record is "city life".

Originally posted by KaBar

To get the really good old vinyl, you have to look in out-of-the-way places. Record stores are not it. Look in flea markets, estate sales, Second Hand stores and places like that. Most of the old stuff I've found was in pretty poor shape, scratched, beat covers, no record jacket, but I've found some gems, too. And none of this paying $65 for a record crap. If you can't get it for less than $5, fuck it. Most of the records I found this way I got for $1 or $2.

exactly, most record shops know their business you aren't gonna get something dope and rare without shelling out. Charity shops are a good bet.

today i got a vince guaraldi trio record and a blues roots compilation double lp with a milton glazer illustration on the front that is great.

on a totally unrelated note i also bought royal tennenbaums on dvd which is a very excellent film.

Originally posted by 455

I got AC/DC's "Back In Black" for 2 cigarettes from this guy who was hard up for cash.......it is un-opened,still in the plastic,and has the price sticker on it.....dated from 1981.....you want to buy it?...nah,just kidding,I wouldn't want to sell it anyway.that is a gem.

while thats a good album, and im sure you love it, i doubt its worth all that much, even being in the perfect unopened condition its in. its just not all that collectable, and it dosnt top alot of collectors lists. if you want to get your hands on some money, try to get promo copies that are in great shape, from artists like elvis, or elton john, not good music, but if you get older, rare stuff from the right people, it can sell for thousands

I picked up a nice record player from a garage sale for 15 bucks. I started buying records, i was surprised at how cheap they are. I was at a garage sale and i found this ill ass looking record its called rick springfield:comic book heros. Its weird but cool, i also got some john lennon paul simon and some punk 7 inches. FUN TIMES!

went shoppin today, picked up

isaac hayes- hot buttered soul for a couple bucks

main ingredient

steve miller band x2

weather report (2nd copy)

monkees (doubles of the mary mary break)

and some cat hooked it up w/ a buncha hiphop joints for pretty cheap.

i thought i got eric b & rakim's microphone fiend for 2 bucks.. ends up it was jsut the jacket w/ some bs r&b rekkid :

• 2 weeks later...

went to jerry's records in pittsburgh. gotta check this place out if youre ever there.

picked up

-bob wills and his texas playboys

-shuggie otis

-chopin

-poppa john gordy's ragtime piano

-2001 a space oddysey soundtrack

-the first maze album.

it seems like everytime i go looking for specific records i come back with a completely differnt genre than what i was looking for.

Originally posted by dropone

went to jerry's records in pittsburgh. gotta check this place out if youre ever there.

jerrys is the spot forsure. im luck enough to live in pittsburgh. that place has supplied over half of my record collection. one of the best used vinyl shops anywhere on the planet.

Originally posted by TRAMP

Does anybody know what the title of the song/album(s) by kraftwerk with breaks on them? thanks

are you thinking of trans europe express?

there are a bunch of good kraftwerk albums though. that one has the planet rock break.

/ mr bongos is alway my pilgrimage when im down in the smoke.

oxfam satisfies most of my diggin needs. i haven't been beat diggin in ages recent purchases of the vinyl kind include -

Evil Ed - The tournament round 2 12"

Lootpack - On Point 7"

People Under the stairs - OST LP

Dutch Massive - Evaporate EP

DJ Yoda - Quid control 12"

Archived