reggae

Guest tears*uno

Guest willy.wonka

hmmmm...proud to be a pot smoker???

bob wasnt really saying smoke ganja you know.in fact i cant really think of any songs of his thats about,"hey smoke weed!"

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dyptheria

well so far Me, Dee, and Willy have responded and none of us are white. we like reggae. throw your hip-guy assumptions out the window, i've liked reggae for life, dickhead.

Burning Spear,Yellowman,King Tubby,Grgory Isaacs, Bob, Eddie Grant....

Ooklah, haha, i knew those cats since we were young punk ass sXers

a fellow islander. right the fuck on.

remember,these mainlanders don't understand island musik

when bob says ," the more people smoke herb, the more babylon fall"

all he is saying is,the more people open there mind. the more the people will see the wrong doing of the government,and rise against them.be the people's people,cus the g.o.v. is so deceatful.............

i frum jamaica

right near the beach

boooooyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

lauda mursey

I THINK UNCLE-BOY WAS THE FIRST TO NAME AUGUSTUS PABLO. I GREW UP ON REGGAE AND PUNK BUT IT WASNT UNTILL I BEGAN HANGING AROUND REAL PUNK ROCKERS THAT I GOT TO REALLY APPRECIATE REGGAE, ESPECIALLY REAL OLD SCHOOL SKA (NOT THE CIRCUS TYPE SHIT THEY PLAY NOW). NOW IM HEAVY INTO DUB REGGAE AND LIKE UNCLE MENTIONED AUGUSTUS PABLO HAS SOME DOPE SHIT. TEARS, YOU GOTTA LOOK INTO SOME OF THE BANDS MENTIONED ABOVE CAUSE' SOME OF THESE GUYS HAVE GOT IT DOWN!

Originally posted by ..oX..

word.

im sick of people bitching about suburban white kids that listen to anticon and are loners or whatever to be cool. sure theres lots of dumbass kids like that but you cant lump everyone else who likes the same things in with them, and contrary to your twisted logic, it doesnt make you any cooler to diss them. i dont live in the suburbs or listen to anticon but... i could... maybe.

anyway, reggae and dub are nice indeed. i dont mean to sound cheesy but bob marley is still my favorite; ive never heard any reggae, dub, ska, or anything as powerfull as bob marley's music. hoo-fuckin-ray for that.

gotta give the grandfather his props.but never mind his kids sucking up their fathers glory;except julian"jr.gong" marley, his shit is tight and original

Originally posted by HomerJayII

I THINK UNCLE-BOY WAS THE FIRST TO NAME AUGUSTUS PABLO. I GREW UP ON REGGAE AND PUNK BUT IT WASNT UNTILL I BEGAN HANGING AROUND REAL PUNK ROCKERS THAT I GOT TO REALLY APPRECIATE REGGAE, ESPECIALLY REAL OLD SCHOOL SKA (NOT THE CIRCUS TYPE SHIT THEY PLAY NOW). NOW IM HEAVY INTO DUB REGGAE AND LIKE UNCLE MENTIONED AUGUSTUS PABLO HAS SOME DOPE SHIT. TEARS, YOU GOTTA LOOK INTO SOME OF THE BANDS MENTIONED ABOVE CAUSE' SOME OF THESE GUYS HAVE GOT IT DOWN!

what do you mean? they've had it down and some of them help start this shit

and if you like any kind of electro,dub-sessions in the streets of kingston have been going on since the sixties;and thats no lie.where do you think we got the idea for hiphop(beats)

Originally posted by ..oX..

hence marijuana is illegal.

and it always will be.the government of any country,makes way more money off of bringing it in and don't forget court cost.all of that shit is pure prophet to them,no matter how much they could tax it if it wasn't

a concerned bloodskull

BOB MARLEY

PETER TOSH

STEEL PULSE

GLADIATORS

ZIGGY MARLEY

MR. MARLEY

KYMANI MARLEY-WARRIORS (HIS ONLY REALLY DOPE SONG THAT IVE HEARD)

BARRINGTON LEVY

GREGORY ISAAQS

ISRAELITES

STRICTLY ROOTS

HUMBLE SOUL

DENNIS BROWN

BURNING SPEAR

BLACK UHURU

LEE SCRATCH PERRY

UB 40(A FEW SONGS)

JIMMY CLIFF

Guest willy.wonka

for all you reggae fans..try hard to get a hold of JOHN BROWNS BODY.."this day"or "among them" i promise that you like them very much..its good stuff.or somehow burn the song.."my best friend is a superstar"...good stuff.

Guest Daddy_Screw

i like dub.its cool to listen to when your buzzin out your skull,like Mad Scientist,Aswad,Burning Spear, dancehall owns also, u dun know Bounty Killah,Vegas,Elephant Man,etc.

BO!

Originally posted by mapo wc

i dont see why you have a problem with me liking marilyn manson.

hes the fuckin man. i think the music is really good even though i dont typically like rock. and i really like how he gets christians vexed like none other. i cant fucking stand uppity christians because i went to school with alot of them and they would all wear their christian bullshit shirts and crosses. then they would go and fuck their brains out at parties, make fun of people, do all types of non-christian shit - then think it was ok because they spend 45 minutes a day praising 'the good lord'. fuck them. and marilyn manson sees their hypocrisy too, and lets it be known. i like anyone who isnt afraid to take christianity head on. plus hes from south florida.

but anyway..

you really dont realize that it is considered 'hip' to like reggae?

i like reggae, but i dont tell anyone because i dont want to be considered one of the people who like reggae because its the flavor of the month.

dont try to tell me im wrong because im right. you might truly like reggae, i dont know. but alot of people will put up a bob marley poster on the wall because its considered cool. and play his shit while they smoke weed with their friends and tell each other 'yeah man, this is great, bob was so ahead of his time, dude'. and then when their friends leave they go back to listening to Limp Bizkit. youre crazy if you think there arent alot of people like that.

dude, ive never lived in suburbia and i grew up listening to reggae. sounds like youve got some issues with christian boys that like reggae or something. reggae is actually kinda similar to christianity. they consider themselves the thirteenth tribe of israel. before 1937 tons of christians smoked hash and used tinktures from cannibus extracts and shit. anyway, i know mad kids like the ones youre describing but ive never had beef with them. ive always thought they did a lot of dumb shit but i was always cool with them but ive never been really tight with any of them. i still think its annoying as fuck how they always act like steriotypical jocks from movies like varsity blues and shit and then other times they knock gangster rap and act like toy thugs and bump reggae cus they sing about weed or they see a rapper with a reggae shirt or see thugs playin reggae music in movies. but as long as theyre chill theres no need to start any shit. whatever though. im just babbling now. i need to go eat and maybe sleep or something.

later

bumbaclaat!

don't hate people just cause we're white and we enjoy the reggae music-i like it b/c much of it is about struggling (and as a poor-ass cracker, i'm feelin' that)-but enough negativity

reggae:

augustus pablo (bump!)

james booms

lee 'scratch' perry

gregory isaacs (play "night nurse" for your girl-then, enjoy!)

dub:

lee 'scratch' perry & the upsetters

sly & robbie

king tubby

PRINCE FAR I (you've gotta hear this mofo to believe)

dancehall:

buju banton

yellowman

tiger

cutty ranks

beenieman

i could go on, but i'm not gonna :)

Guest TEARZ
Originally posted by oh, hello

start by renting "the harder they come" by jimmy smith, and get the soundtrack also.

that would be jimmy cliff there brah, and he's the star- the movie maker is perry henzell. jimmy smith is an organ player. maybe it was a typo- i do that sometimes- don't mind me i'm just a hater of misinformation.

deuce.

Originally posted by jah

reggae is actually kinda similar to christianity. they consider themselves the thirteenth tribe of israel. before 1937 tons of christians smoked hash and used tinktures from cannibus extracts and shit.

I've never heard of the 13th tribe deal, i've only been aware of the 12 tribes of Isreal. Oh and what does 1937 have to do with people smoking? Maybe you can explain this further so I understand...

punk & reggae are the majority of my vinyl, it was my dad who got me into reggae...most punks here seem to love their reggae though...anyway, some of my favourite reggae lps are...

king tubby : king tubby meets rockers uptown

king tubby : dub gone crazy

culture : harder than the rest

burning spear : marcus garvey

the congoes : heart of the congoes

yabby u : jesus dread

lee perry : arkology

prince far i : cry tuff dub encounter

other stuff would be horace andy, marcia griffiths, augustus pablo, gregory isaacs, susan cadogan, toots & the maytals, the ethiopians etc.

and The Harder They Come & Rockers are both excellent, not sure which i prefer, music is amazing in both...anyway, good to know so many reggae heads in here

i don't really feel the ragamuffin type of reggae, but am definatly down with the roots, and definatley down with the dub.

barrington levy

max romeo

wailing souls

johnny osborne

mikey dread

augustus pablo-good dub

earl 16

junior murvin

sugar minott

thats all for now, but for all you hawaiian braddahs check out ktuh 90.3 on mondays, beast reggae with big bar starts at about 2:30.

lordamurcy

Originally posted by AeRoSoL JuNkiE

I've never heard of the 13th tribe deal, i've only been aware of the 12 tribes of Isreal. Oh and what does 1937 have to do with people smoking? Maybe you can explain this further so I understand...

yea. the whole 13th tribe of israel thing is just something i heard from someone who i think knows his shit somewhat. im not really sure about that but i do know it is based on those religions (the 12 tribes of israel). as far as 1937.... thats pretty much the year that the marijuana propoganda started and everyone started demonising weed. read "the emporor wears no clothes". it explains how (i want to say william but im not sure of his first name) Hearst and Anslinger and the tobacco, paper, and cotton companies conspired to outlaw hemp in america and how it spread throughout the world. before then mad american aristocrats smoked hash and used tinktures from cannibus extracts for medicines. then the government and all these companies cme out with tons of racist propoganda about how marihuana(an unfamiliar name amongst whites) was a colored person's drug and they use it to lure white women and satan and blah blah blah stupid bullshit. all along most whites didnt know that this plant called marijuana was actually the raw herb from which their ganjah hashish was made and shipped form turkey. anyway. its all hazey to me. i need to study up some more. if you want to know more you should read that book. the author is jack herer. it has a lot of cool shit in it.

but yeah. a couple more i didnt mention:

buju and pato(or patu. ive seen different spellings) bonton

third world

eek a mouse

rusted root

i heard jimmy cliff is a crack fiend these days. this dude i met in thailand said he saw him in concert lately and he was super thugged out with some bright red fit on and ice hangin all over the place and he was crack skinny and shit. what a waste! hes still fuckin dope though. im gonna go throw on some reggae and draw.

peace

Originally posted by AeRoSoL JuNkiE

yea. the whole 13th tribe of israel thing is just something i heard from someone who i think knows his shit somewhat. im not really sure about that but i do know it is based on those religions (the 12 tribes of israel). as far as 1937.... thats pretty much the year that the marijuana propoganda started and everyone started demonising weed. read "the emporor wears no clothes". it explains how (i want to say william but im not sure of his first name) Hearst and Anslinger and the tobacco, paper, and cotton companies conspired to outlaw hemp in america and how it spread throughout the world. before then mad american aristocrats smoked hash and used tinktures from cannibus extracts for medicines. then the government and all these companies cme out with tons of racist propoganda about how marihuana(an unfamiliar name amongst whites) was a colored person's drug and they use it to lure white women and satan and blah blah blah stupid bullshit. all along most whites didnt know that this plant called marijuana was actually the raw herb from which their ganjah hashish was made and shipped form turkey (ganjah was actually a brand of hash imported from turkey and its become a common name for herb). anyway. its all hazey to me. i need to study up some more. if you want to know more you should read that book. the author is jack herer. it has a lot of cool shit in it.

but yeah. a couple more i didnt mention:

buju and pato(or patu. ive seen different spellings) bonton

third world

eek a mouse

rusted root

i heard jimmy cliff is a crack fiend these days. this dude i met in thailand said he saw him in concert lately and he was super thugged out with some bright red fit on and ice hangin all over the place and he was crack skinny and shit. what a waste! hes still fuckin dope though. im gonna go throw on some reggae and draw.

peace

Archived