Your TOOTH as a TELEPHONE

Pistol

Coming Soon: A 'Telephone Tooth'

Fri Jun 28, 2:04 PM ET

By THOMAS WAGNER, Associated Press Writer

LONDON (AP) - Tired of losing your cell phone? Having other people listen in on your conversations? What about all the times you've had to turn it off at public events, or leave it behind while swimming?

Photos

AP Photo

Slideshows

Inventors Devise 'Telephone Tooth'

Two British inventors unveiled a prototype of a device Friday that could solve those problems.

But there's a drawback — your dentist would have to install it inside one of your molars.

Unofficially known as the "telephone tooth," the device would allow you to receive phone calls, listen to music, even connect to verbal sites on the Internet ( news - external web site) without anyone nearby hearing a thing.

"It felt strange. It was weird," said 8-year-old Caitlin Caddies, who tried the prototype Friday at the Science Museum in London. "But I'd be delighted to have it if it would allow my friends to call me at night while I was in bed without my parents knowing.

"Would it hurt when the dentist put it in?" she asked.

James Auger, 31, and Jimmy Loizeau, 34, developed the device while enrolled in a master's program at the Royal College of Art in London on the way technology is used today.

So far, no company has announced it is making the device. But Auger and Loizeau have moved to Dublin, Ireland, to work with Media Lab Europe, the European research partner of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology ( news - web sites) Media Lab.

Theoretically, the device would allow spies to receive instructions secretly, or athletes to hear from their coaches while on the field.

Other beneficiaries could include investors and brokers, and sports fanatics who want to be informed the moment their team wins or loses.

However, the device, also known as the "molar mobile," does not allow people to talk back to callers or make outgoing calls.

Auger said the "telephone tooth" is just another device designed to help people better cope with existing technology: like the flight suits developed to allow pilots make tight turns in high-speed warplanes without blacking out.

The "telephone tooth" would place a small device in a person's back molar that includes a wireless, low-frequency receiver and a gadget that turns audio signals into mechanical vibrations, which would pass from the tooth directly to the inner ear as clear sounds.

The user also would keep a tiny device outside his body to turn the cellphone on and off and to program it.

On Friday, people lined up at the Science Museum to try out a prototype of the "telephone tooth," which is officially known as the audio tooth implant. The crude imitation of the device included a walkie-talkie and a plastic cocktail stick that users placed in their mouths to receive vibrations in their molars.

Reactions ran the spectrum from fascination and consumer interest, to fear of the dentist and horror about surrendering personal privacy.

"The sound was surprisingly clear, but 10 years from now we'll probably find out that the phone implant causes throat cancer," said Kiaron Hunt, 25, a tourist from Sydney, Australia. "But I guess we're heading for a high-tech world where everyone's on the go all the time. Maybe we won't be able to do without such tools."

Jane Biglin, 44, from suburban London, said she loved the quality of the sound, but it seemed odd she couldn't talk back.

And even though the device would allow her to talk to her husband in private over the noise of their kids, Biglin said she wouldn't want anything implanted in her mouth.

___

On the Net:

www.media.mit.edu

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

So, there are 2 high tech yuppies on a cafe and a bum on the table right next...The one yuppie talks to the other and at some point something rings, the yuppie presses a button on his shirt and looks really concentrated for a while, he presses the button again and goes "sorry it was my daily tokyo stockmarket briefing" the other yuppie looks at him funny and clicks his tooth and goes like "Vanessa please call my wife and tell her i'll be late" clicks his tooth again and sais "latest word of technology my friend...." just before he finishes his sentence the bum right next to them Farts REAL loud...bith yuppies turn disgusted and look at the dude,

"What the fuck are you looking at?!?!?! i just got online"!!!

:spent:

i hate the idea of a phone in my mouth

what crap! i hate useless technology

it would be great however if you could implant

one of these things in someone

without them knowing

and then say stuff to them during the day

or late at night, they would surely shit their pants

or think they were crazy

Originally posted by Pistol

"real Genius"

Pistol! i fucking love you man!

ive been trying to think of the name of that movie

for months upon months now

it was pissing me off so bad that i couldnt remember

best val kilmer movie ever!

Guest willy.wonka

i heard of this somewhere..late night???? i thought it was absolutly rediculous..spyshit..a constant crankcall ringing away at your mouth..

Originally posted by Tesseract

So, there are 2 high tech yuppies on a cafe and a bum on the table right next...The one yuppie talks to the other and at some point something rings, the yuppie presses a button on his shirt and looks really concentrated for a while, he presses the button again and goes "sorry it was my daily tokyo stockmarket briefing" the other yuppie looks at him funny and clicks his tooth and goes like "Vanessa please call my wife and tell her i'll be late" clicks his tooth again and sais "latest word of technology my friend...." just before he finishes his sentence the bum right next to them Farts REAL loud...bith yuppies turn disgusted and look at the dude,

"What the fuck are you looking at?!?!?! i just got online"!!!

:spent:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived