Auckland City NZ

Askew

Well I guess it's like anywhere really..I mean we are a very multicultural place and specifically in Auckland...South Auckland is the Pacific Island capital of the world....But you know, you cant really generalise too much...Mostly I've found NZ far less violent than places in Australia and definately far less segregated racially..I think this is vastly to do with the fact that although it is still very contraversial, our indigenous race, the Maori (Nice spelling Morphius)people of NZ, are a warrior race who didnt take shit from the British Colonists and fought for their land..which is why we have a Treaty called the Treaty of Waitangi...this treaty supposedly recognises this country as a Bi-cultural country although there are still tonnes of injustices and stolen land, it is a gret deal better off than what the aboriginal people of Australia got....

We do have a lot of gangs, kind of in the LA style...but the influence is a lot more direct than kids just watching Hip Hop videos..People from LA will know that there is a Samoan community over there and that is due to one of their Islands being governed by the US. Most of te gang influence has direct roots from LA...But there is quite a bit of fictionalising too I guess....

The worst gangs here are actually the big MotorCycle gangs like The Mongrel Mob, Black Power, Hells Angels, Head Hunters, The Nomads, Highway 61's etc...those gangs range from All Maori to white supremist to serious drug manufactorers and distributers.....Mostly you will never encounter these people unless you are a small time drug dealer..Then be careful...Also many of our rural towns, which is most of them are completely run by gangs,,,This isnt always a bad thing as many put money straight back into the community.

So things to remember when visiting NZ:

We have the most untainted, beautiful scenery and native forest you will ever see...

Our beaches on the west coast have Black sand and are straight out of a fantasy movie (Lord of the Rings was filmed here)

If you encounter an islander in Hip Hop Clothing, dont be stupid and assume you are going to get the shit beaten out of you...I think Island people are some of the most fun loving and community orientated people I have ever encountered....In my neighborhood, I was taken in and fed, given money and looked after like I was a child of their own by most of the Island families...I go out with a Samoan girl, Polynesian women are truly beautiful..........

Oh yeah...Someone asked about Phat One before...? He's the friggin man...Used to be straight gangster, but he's acheived the most out of anyone here and is now a family man...Raising his son and enjoying marriage with his wife who is also a respected writer here...Its true he pulled of a married couple a few years back, and also a few of us did a whole train too...Those were the days....

I'll have my new website finished by friday...www.disruptiv.com

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Morphius

^^

it would most likely be the maouris their fucking huge and are violent by nature and a 16 year old can look like a 20 year old.

Yeah, to tell the truth..I think Maori, Pacific Island and even European New Zealanders are big....My whole crew is mostly Maori and all but 2 members are over 6 foot tall...infact 6'3 -6'5 is the average height!!

yeah i think it was the maori that my buddy at work mentioned, he just came over from nz and was talking about the gangs and such. he mentioned that if the guy who discovered the island the natives would have fought themselves into extinction within 100 years because they love to fight so much. i think he said the more south you go the more hospitable people are and more north the bigger assholes they are.

ASKEW ALREADY TOUCHED UP ON IT BUT HEARING ABOUT THE GANGS THERE REALLY SURPRISED ME. THE OTHER DAY I WAS TALKING TO A GIRL THERE AND SHE KEPT THREATNING TO SEND GUY FROM HER BLOOD GANG OVER HERE TO KILL ME. ANYWAYS, IF YOUR CURIOUSITY PLAGUES YOU THERE IS A GREAT MOVIE CALLED "ONCE WERE WARRIORS " THAT GIVES INSIGHT INTO THE REASONING OF GANG LIFE THERE. ASKEW, YOU GOT A SAMOAN GIRL? ANY CHANCE WE CAN SEE PICS OF HER? JUST KIDDING, KEEP ROCKING AND CHEERS MATE!!!

Once we warriors seems to be what a lot of people refer to when they talk about our country...Its cool, because for a lot of people that movie certainly was a reality...But I wouldnt say that it is way it is all the time...Like I said, Polynesian culture is very festive and community based and the people are really hospititable.....The embracing of music and dance is amazing..I am really proud to be living in such a pacific place,,There is something so unique and special about our way of life here...

Believe it or not, for land mass Auckland is around the 6th largest city in the world, even though we only have a population of around 1.3million people...We have a very current and up to date state of affairs and technology here...Although our transit system is a little archaic at times...Our government is good in embracing the arts and so it is possible to live as a creative person here...

I would certainly urge people to take the trip over and check it out as many overseas writers have over the years...All are blown away by the scene, the community spirit and the nature especially...

hey its cool you got on here man. im in perth and ive got rellies in wellington. its got some dope stuff but its fairly spread out. my grand parents live in lower hut and they had a freight yard right near them so you can imagine how much fun that shit is. umm auckland really impressed me when i went over there. the bombing and tagging was fucking every where. also, the buffing was almost non existent. people went on houses, buisness, train lines every thing and when i went back on my second trip a year and a half later the same shit was still up!

as far as racial issues go, the maori people were heaps nice blokes, where as the pacific islanders werent friendly. but i didnt experiance a whole lot of new zealnd so dont quote me on that.

any way its good to see nz threads. my favorite loomit peice in in central wellington in the skate park. i love that shit.

now all we need is a tasmania thread.

THE DRUNKER I GET THE MORE I WANT TO BULLSHIT. ASKEW, YOU SAID IT RIGHT, THAT PLACE REMINDED ME A LOT OF THE BIG CITY HERE. THE ONLY THING I DIDNT LIKE ABOUT IT WAS THE WEATHER, I PREFER WARM, SUNNY WEATHER ALL THE TIME. ASKEW, A BUDDY OF MINE SENT A PIC OF YOU AND LOOMIT. IT LOOKED ALMOST LIKE YOU GUYS WERE IN A RADIO STATION. CRACKATINNIE YOU GOT A NICE COUNTRY YOURSELF. GOOD TO SEE THOSE DOWN UNDER IN HERE!

Hahaha...True? Who's your buddy?...although I can take a guess cos' I've only been to the radio station with Loomit Three times and I remember who was there also...Actually regarding the post about Tasmania...I would be interested to know more about someother places too...Like My old site used to get visits from Fiji, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Tonga...damn all sorts of places that you would make the assumption that graff was happening...but it sure made me happy to know that it was...

You guys all have Spraycan art right...Check the Auckland section in there, graffiti has been happening a while down here...

Yeah he's a great writer too...he's been writing for about 10 years and really has a lot of street tags and very classic styled pieces around the city...When Can Two was here he was saying that he should change his name due to the other well known Gasp's around the world..he's considered it but old habits die hard I guess...

word.

I didnt know there's that many gasp's, I know there is an old school one in holland I think there is also a fairly inactive one in london...

keep up the good work...

Originally posted by Askew

Hahaha...True? Who's your buddy?...although I can take a guess cos' I've only been to the radio station with Loomit Three times and I remember who was there also...Actually regarding the post about Tasmania...I would be interested to know more about someother places too...Like My old site used to get visits from Fiji, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Tonga...damn all sorts of places that you would make the assumption that graff was happening...but it sure made me happy to know that it was...

I EMAILED HIM ON IT AND HE SAID HE JACKED IT.

Keep up the work askew im a kiwi living in aus when i come back next time i wanna get some shit up. Im Auckland born much respect keep up the good work. It must be hard to get respect there with the gangster taggers keep up the good work lad.

Thanks once again...

Heres some more of my work...this shit will all be on my new site which will be launched this Friday..

http://www.disruptiv.com/singogilvy/12.jpg'>

Askew in Hamilton 2001

http://www.disruptiv.com/singogilvy/3.jpg'>

Askew, Gasp, Seno(Germany), Deus 2002

http://www.disruptiv.com/singogilvy/6.jpg'>

Merk, Askew, Sens, Deus and Gasp 2001

http://www.disruptiv.com/singogilvy/7.jpg'>

Askew and Seak 2001

http://www.disruptiv.com/singogilvy/8.jpg'>

Askew and Deus 2001

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...