Expand Your Vocabulary

Guest ctrl+alt+del

Guest ctrl+alt+del

12ozers should learn more words! after all, we are "writers", true?

I have created a lesson plan that will teach you a new word, while your having fun! And dont worry! If you miss a day, you can go to http://dictionary.com/wordoftheday/ to see what the word of the day was, and what it means!

+++++++++++++===============++++++++++++++++++=

Todays word is :

Rara Avis

RARE-uh-AY-vis, noun

plural rara avises RARE-uh-AY-vuh-suhz or rarae aves RARE-ee-AY-veez

Definition:

A rare or unique person or thing

Example:

Makros is a rara avis among 12 ozer's, in that he is not really a person, but a bot programmed to reply to our threads with various pictures from his cache.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest ctrl+alt+del

Diffident

DIF-uh-dunt; -dent, adjective

1. Lacking self-confidence; distrustful of one's own powers; timid; bashful.

2. Characterized by modest reserve; unassertive.

Mary Kate Olsen was too delicate and diffident to ask ctrl+alt to do her missionary, so she wrote it on the napkin.

Guest platapie

makros has been talkign alot as of late tho. im not very happy about it but i guess i will learn to liek it.

Guest Dyptheria
Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

Antidisestablishmentarianism.....

For the record:

This word is long, but not new to most peoples vocabulary by any means.

The root word is establishment, something we're all familiar with by the time we're fourteen, and then the word has two prefixes and two suffixes added to the root word.

This thread is about expanding vocabulary. that is not a vocabluary expansion, because we are all familiar with the word and its methods of conjugation....

My contribution: Acquiesce

Definition: To unwillingly agree to do what someone wants, or to let them do what they want, without arguing or complaining.

This word is often in text, but i've never used it in speech. I had a girlfriend once who was a genius and she would use this word and it would drive me nuts because it sounded do damn silly to use such non-colloquial terms.

I use a larger vocab to speak with the people i work for, to impress them, but fuck people who try to use it in casual circumstances, you just sound like you're trying to be posh or something

Guest uncle-boy

akimbo

to have your hands on your hips

"smaking on your lips with ya hands on ya hips"

"smaking on your lips akimbo":idea:

Guest Dyptheria

Bamboocha: large, grand in size. Use it yo impress your bosses, professors, and you girlfriends parents...

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I've been subscribed to that shit for a couple of months now. Shit's ill. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest Dyptheria

Shoots: (very formal, ususlly used by the british upper class)

1) Good bye; I'll talk to you later; See you later.

2) A confirmation; It is used to let someone know that you will agree to something.

-Would you like to come to the store with me?

-shoots

$.02

ive boticed it helps to remember words when you somehow use use them in a sentence that you'll remember. example.

"your corpulence is downright brobdingnagian"

means.

"your fat"

if you read comics you'll know which one i got it from...

Originally posted by Dyptheria

This thread is about expanding vocabulary. that is not a vocabluary expansion, because we are all familiar with the word and its methods of conjugation....

I know. I just wanted to post it because it's a long word......

Guest ctrl+alt+del

posting from the laptop while the cdrw is being installed

Lesson 3

Persiflage

PUR-suh-flahzh, noun:

Frivolous or bantering talk; a frivolous manner of treating any subject, whether serious or otherwise; light raillery.

Example:

when i am in the company of fine females, i find myself mesmerized by their persiflage, not to mention their oh so yummy cleavage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Persiflage comes from French, from persifler, "to banter," from per-, "thoroughly" (from Latin) + siffler, "to hiss, to whistle," ultimately from Latin sibilare, "to hiss (at), to whistle."

Guest ctrl+alt+del

These arnt lessons, just a few words i found that, in my opinion are very interesting.

flibbertigibbet: a silly, flighty, or excessively talkative person

bon ton: the height of the fashion; fashionable society.

fungible: interchangeable

nescience: lack of knowledge.

gewgaw: a showy trifle; a pretty but worthless bauble

i swear to everything i hold holy (briana banks) that these are real words

Guest Ted Wakowski

Fuck Pronunciation Key (fk) Vulgar Slang

v. fucked, fuck·ing, fucks

v. tr.

To have sexual intercourse with.

To take advantage of, betray, or cheat; victimize.

Used in the imperative as a signal of angry dismissal.

v. intr.

To engage in sexual intercourse.

To act wastefully or foolishly.

To interfere; meddle. Often used with with.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

tyler, i beleive the word was capricious. you used it in regard to females.

Definition of Capricious:

Characterized by or subject to whim; impulsive and unpredictable.

ill be back with lesson 4 tonight.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

moribund

MOR-uh-bund, adjective:

1. In a dying state; dying; at the point of death.

2. Becoming obsolete or inactive.

Example:

Has anyone seen any those silly amish lately? If they are still alive, they must certainly be moribund.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moribund is from Latin moribundus, from mori, "to die."

Guest ctrl+alt+del

sobriquet

SO-brih-kay; -ket; so-brih-KAY; -KET, noun:

A nickname; an assumed name; an epithet.

ex. I go by the sobriquet "sticky fingaz mcgee" because, well..use your imagination.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sobriquet is from the French, from Old French soubriquet, "a chuck under the chin, hence, an affront, a nickname."

Originally posted by ctrl+alt+del

sobriquet ex. I go by the sobriquet "sticky fingaz mcgee" because, well..use your imagination.

well, I imagine that your brian isn't complex enough to allow you to remember the name "Dirty Dingus McGee", originally played by Frank Sinatra and referenced by Homer Simpson in the episode where he and Ned get new wives in Vegas. Of course, I'm just using my imagination, no conspiracy here...

Guest ctrl+alt+del
Originally posted by Smart

well, I imagine that your brian isn't complex enough to allow you to remember the name "Dirty Dingus McGee", originally played by Frank Sinatra and referenced by Homer Simpson in the episode where he and Ned get new wives in Vegas. Of course, I'm just using my imagination, no conspiracy here...

.....:::...:::...::::::..:::::queue x-files music:::::::::.....:::.:...::..:::::..:::.....

haha......I can think of a few choice words to say about this......but I think I'll leave it alone because I know the kid who started this thread....sorry "ayeeeee!",but I had to call it out....

Archived