Two characters and an outline

buttercup

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

bodice...you rock..i think you dislike me but i think your character portrayal is outstanding....the outline could use some fadeback though ;)

Originally posted by Ser3adc

damn guy...your sketches are off the hook...i wouldnt call those characters, i would call them portraits.

ah, now I discussed this today with a crewmember. Portrait are (usually) of some-one infront of you. A drawing of a person yes? You don't "read into it", its just a graphic account of what you saw.

to me, *characters* are different in that you *choose* an individual character because it fits with the theme on a prodo/ its significant to you personally/ get a message across. *who* or *what* it is important.

I usually do characters of famous women. Not just pretty ones - but people I feel fit the classic film diva mold. like timeless.................like greek sculpture.................

bodice_ripper/living the thrilling life of a Classics Fiend

Guest Ser3adc
Originally posted by *_lacrimae_*

ah, now I discussed this today with a crewmember. Portrait are (usually) of some-one infront of you. A drawing of a person yes? You don't "read into it", its just a graphic account of what you saw.

to me, *characters* are different in that you *choose* an individual character because it fits with the theme on a prodo/ its significant to you personally/ get a message across. *who* or *what* it is important.

I usually do characters of famous women. Not just pretty ones - but people I feel fit the classic film diva mold. like timeless.................like greek sculpture.................

bodice_ripper/living the thrilling life of a Classics Fiend

yea portraits are usually of someone in front of you...but to me a portrait is a realistic sketch of a person or face...i see characters as surreal sketches of a person or face...just my 2 centz.

Pretty damn nice. The third character or portrait(w/e you wanna call it) I don't really like, but the first 2 are awesome(and natalie portman is a good subject for a portr--er, character). The sketch/paint is good, even tho the letters are hard to find.

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by GIMIC-ONE

thats nice, you went ta a drawing summer camp, arent you special? too bad there isnt a typography summer camp ....

man ... if there was a typography camp ... I'd be a counsellor.

and I dont think that the 'crome fade' really works with the outline.

I expect to see that style of fade on a sign outside of a used car dealership.

And those letters are super clean and proportionally perfect (in an typographic sence)

I just think that the fill over powers a single black outline.

Maybe if you had done a 2nd outline it wouldn't be so severe a difference.

Originally posted by --zeSto--

and I dont think that the 'crome fade' really works with the outline.

I agree wholeheartedly. But I wanted to try something like that for a while now.

As for the "drawing camp" remark - no I haven't. I just really enjoy putting serious effort into my characters. You feel free to do some half-assed b-boys with obscured faces though.............:rolleyes:

Guest imported_Tesseract

I love em, always nice to see things like that...On the character/portrait thing...Theese canot be called 'portraits' in the classical use of the word, as you said your self, still 'characters' isnt fitting either. Characters, in my opinion, are traced in history as comic based drawings trasnfered on wall...or cartoon 'characters' imaginary characters used in sequels (i think thats where the definition comes from) The thing is that i dont concider 'characters' graffiti in any way...in the best form,leave os gemeos out, characters have nothing to do with the medium used nor the 'act' of graffiti...characters on graffiti seem to me like their used for extra bling and thats all there is to it. In your case it think its drawing, these are drawings aka painting, original painting...they're far more 'portraits' than 'characters', of course natalie portman wasnt sitting in front of you (damn!) but a graphic account of what you saw as you mean it, is called a 'study' not a portrait.

Archived