GIANT

Guest big PERM

i was looking through the beginning of this thread, and it's many praises, and many dead links to photos. but i found this, and thought it was worthy of a bump.

I'm flattered y'all like my shit. Although, I wish you were all killing shit instead of goofing off on the internet. Obviously, I'm goofing off on the internet, but you get my point.

I feel like I take this shit pretty seriously, so your props are appreciated. Graffiti is definately a weird part of my life at this point. I should have gotten sick of it a long time ago. But everyday when I'm out riding my bike I see new graffiti, and it makes me want to do it. I still have the urge to compete; with myself, other writers, the fucking buffers, cops, and the pussy 9to5 haters. Nowadays, I'm about streets. Shit that won't last long, but it's definately not where it's "supposed" to be. It pisses me off to get pieces buffed the next day, but I really feel like it's more important to lose one on the streets, than waste one in a yard. It's easy to see I've done my time in yards.

Friends lately have been asking me for a definition of "Keeping it real". I've been saying that in whatever you're doing, do it 100% according to the rules you've chosen to abide by. I learned my rules from my mentor, Agree. His rules were not "universal" rules. His rules came from the Brooklyn scene of the 80s. The generations that followed and preceded that decade were a little different, but in my mind no less or more valid than my foundation in this culture. I attribute a lot of the fame I've gained over the years to my adherence to "my" rules. Your praise makes me feel like the mentality passed on to me by my mentor was a good one, and my fame can be seen as a great compliment to him and his generation.

Word.

-GIANT-

The Skullz - Oakland

PS There's some flics posted of some MUNI trains I did. They turned out to be scrap trains. Some peckerhead kid e-mailed me complaining that I was "fronting". Well, when I hit that yard, it was the first time I'd seen trains in that spot, and they were all clean. I really didn't know they were gonna get scrapped. I got chased out, and had to sneak back in the next morning to get flics, and got chased again. It certainly didn't feel like I was painting bullshit trains. In any case, I wonder what the fucking difference is after the fact. To me, it's about the experience, not the painted piece. How many motherfuckers paint trains they know won't leave the yard, or might only run for a few hours? Do you think they give a shit how long it survives? Fuck no. It's about doing what you're not supposed to be doing. Enough said...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Talented writer. I can remember years ago folks on the 12oz arguing with much passion about the style of flames he used for fill ins.

Not that I know much about this type of thing but it seems to me that he did a good job of managing his reputation and gaining recognition in the public eye over the years.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
good luck man, he's retired from tattooing.

gIANT IS TATTOOING again for awhile...at least thats what he said in the rebel 8 blog.

300/hr and he will only do work that is 3hrs. or under, so if ya'll want to get some work done head out to San Francisco...

Sep 19, 2009

Back in the Biz, Kinda

By MIKE GIANT

Want a tattoo from me? Well, now might be your chance. I’m currently taking on new black and grey projects at $300 an hour with a one hour minimum. And $350 an hour for color since I’m colorblind. Also, I won’t do anything that takes more than 3 hours to complete. I don’t want to start any more big stuff. I only want to do tattoos I can finish in one sitting. If you’re game, please EMAIL mike@mikegiant.com. Thanks!

tattin_tony.jpg?1253231339

Archived