any runners?

Zack Morris

I have desided to start running/jogging because Zack Morris is getting really out of shape.

I also wouldn't mind putting a little meat on my elgs while I am at it. What are a few things that anyone on here that is into recreational running would give ad advice to build my endurance a little bit of muscles?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

dude any form of running and cycling is a good work out for your legs.. you just got to make sure you keep a regular routine.. depending on how fit you already are, i'd suggest something like a 2 mile jog once a week and also a bike ride of about double that in the same week.. give that a go for a few weeks then increase it accordingly. i dont know much about dieting for muscle mass but i'm sure someone here does.

Originally posted by Zack Morris

elgs

it took me a while to figure this word out. anyway, i just received your cd in the mail today. at first, i didn;t know who/what the hell tha package was from. then i felt a cd...then i was like..."ohhh yeah"

and not to be a bitch but damn, your handwriting is horrible.

not your handstyle, but your Handwriting.

me like those songs.

could i burn those songs for a friend if he likes it?

Re: Re: any runners?

Originally posted by swif1

it took me a while to figure this word out. anyway, i just received your cd in the mail today. at first, i didn;t know who/what the hell tha package was from. then i felt a cd...then i was like..."ohhh yeah"

and not to be a bitch but damn, your handwriting is horrible.

not your handstyle, but your Handwriting.

me like those songs.

could i burn those songs for a friend if he likes it?

burn as many copies as you want..and I like my messy handwriting.

Guest uncle-boy

i've been running and working out, like every other day for the past month and a half. i went from 198lbs. to 180lbs. YAAAAAY!:cool:

Zack...

first things first... make sure you stretch out completely and warm up a little before you start running, just to avoid injuries ... this includes your major leg muscles, abdomen and you should even do your armsshoulders..

secondly, when your just starting, start slow and steady; so to do this you should start from your house or whatever your starting point will be and run like 5-10 minutes in one direction, turn around, and run the same amount of time in the reverse direction going back towards your starting point...

when you start getting better you can do upwards of like 20 or 25 minutes in each direction and after that you should be okay to change whatever you want

Guest willy.wonka

im a runner...i can run for miles.."on a machine" i run when i feel like it..

i like to swim too.i noticed that one of my shirts stink more than the others when i swet in it..wierd.

i dont think that cigarettes help any either..

Guest uncle-boy

i used to consider myself a good runner back in my senior year. we had to run a 10k and i worked a bunch of cross country kids wearing jerzees and expensive running shoes, i was just sporting surf shorts and skate shoes. :lol: now that i gaind a lot of weight since my leg being broken i run slow, but one of these days.....i'll be the greatest runner in the WORLD!!!! nah, probably not.

I ran a marathon (26.2 miles) in January of 99. Since then, I haven't done anything longer than a 10k (6.2 miles). I want to get back into it, but I've been much too lazy lately. It's a fun and good way to work out .. just buy the walkman that straps onto your arms (yellow, made by Sony). Uhhm .. make sure you stretch for at least 5 minutes before AND after, and up your water intake a LOT. That will help keep you hydrated (think peeing once an hour, clear pee).

Guest uncle-boy

yeah, i drink plenty of water but i really got to take ya'lls advice and make sure i stretch before. my legs are hurtin like woah.

GOOD IDEA TO GET INTO IT ZACK. SOME DAYS ITS HARD TO GET THE MOTIVATION TO GO OUT BUT AFTER A GREAT RUN YOU FEEL GOOD. SOMEONE MAY HAVE SAID BUT START OFF SLOW AND GRADUALLY WORK YOUR WAY UP. IT TOOK ME ABOUT TWO MONTHS TO GET UP TO 5 MILES. TRUST ME YOUR BODY WILL THANK YOU.

I think every writer should be able to run.

I started to learn on a treadmill a few months ago. But I went on vacation, with plans that I would start running around the lake when i got back, but now I'm too scared to run in public. So, I'm swimming, which is even more embarrassing cause you hafta wear a bathing suit...but it's super nice in the summer.

Don't run if it's too hot and intense out, unless you're really used to it. Drink water. Stretch. Warm up. Pace yourself. Cool off, then stretch more. And if you want to lose weight, which is what I want to do too, then make sure after all that exercise, you don't eat as much as your huge appetite tells you to, cause you'll feel hungrier than normal (I do anyway).

zack, don't listen to these weekend warriors, get yourself a book on running. the complete runner? from the publishers of runners world magazine sounds solid, i have from the eighties that is top notch. basically don't just start thinking you can do it all, man, you have to work up to it. stretch after a short 5-10 minute warm up, then after you run, but don't over do it after, the muscles are prone to strain then. the running is all about what you want to do with it. runner's world is online, and they have some programs which to follow if you don't want to buy a book but i'm not sure how they address the building up issue. it basically gears you up for whatever type of racing you want to do. the important thing to remember is long slow distance, a little LSD. when you're just beginning, if you don't feel too good stop and walk, then run again, but whatever you do don't stop moving, you want to keep your heart pumping and your muscles from seizing up for a full twenty minutes. you want to do this when convenient (and comfortable) three times a week minimum. and if you do any other sports you can substitute, but not more than twenty percent of you're total work out time, if you want to play more sports, you have to run. remember here that graffiti is a sport, and you're going to be hurting yourself if you don't run on the days you paint. and you're going to want good shoes, i wear asics gels, they're good for pronation. if you don't prontate, i suggest air, they cushion best. you want to get them about (more than?) a half an inch too big, from the end of your toe to the end of the shoe. the first time you buy shoes try to get them from a runner, they know the deal best, and will help you. you don't have to pack in a ton more water, and you don't have to eat a whole lot more food, a 60mile/week runner needs approx. 1000 more calories a day, think big mac and small fries, and you're not going to be putting in that kind of mileage for a while. form is ultra important, don't lean, stand straight up while running, and don't flail about, keep your arms efficiently moving about 90 degrees. this can be tiring too, some runners actually lift weights to keep there arms up to shape, and quads too, since the hamstrings do most of the work over distance. well, that's about it for now, i just read a book on it so it's pretty fresh in my mind. i'm thinking about racing in a marathon possibly but i still have lots of work to do yet, anyone want to join me? :confused:

yeah, it was ok advice, sorry.

another thing i thought about while i was running was that you have to land heel first, this is so important for developing proper form in distance running.

. . .and get a partner to go out with, it keeps you motivated and running.

when i OVERdo it i get diarrhea, and feel really sore. on a long term basis, especially with limiting your diet you risk cannibalizing your own muscle, and possible shrinking your heart, think about that, it's not worth it.

Archived