The backpacking thread

T.T Boy

ok, im sure a whole bunch of you have gone backpacking somewhere around this world. now heres a thread where you could share some tips for the people who plan on backpacking this summer. good hostels, good places to eat for cheap how to eat for cheap and things like that.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

good call for a thread...im going to germany in about 7-8 months....munich..im actually moving there...but i want to live cheap...anyone have any ideas?

Guest --zeSto--

this wont seem so exotic for you TT...

But I used to go to Banff every summer for 6 years backpacking.

There's nothing like being up in those mountains.

Jasper, Kannasikis (sp), Assinaboine (sp again)

stolen from Skyline Hikers of the Canadian Rockies

(the group we'd go with!

http://www.skylinehikers.ca/action2001.jpg'>

http://www.skylinehikers.ca/scenery2001.jpg'>

http://www.skylinehikers.ca/wildlife2001.jpg'>

http://www.skylinehikers.ca/panorama2001.jpg'>

Guest professor poopatronic

i used to backpack alot in when i was in china and sometimes in california too. hooray for me!

Stay away from Hostelling International (HI) hostels. They segregate guys and girls, don't allow booze, are stricter on drugs, and just plain not as fun. Independant hostels are great. If you're planning to go to Europe, www.hostelseurope.com is great. THe Kabul in Barcelona is great, in a sketchy loc but hey getting offered crack, pot, hash, heroin, mush in the span of 5 mins is an experience to be lived. THe Aloha or 3 ducks in Paris are good too.

For packing-pack light. You're going to be walking with it for amazingly long amounts of time. You need at the max 3 days worth of clothes.

HEy starter of this thread-are you travelling alone, with someone? Where are ya off to?

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

Backpacking across Europe has always been a dream of mine. Hopefully by next year it will become a reality...

I used to have a bunch of good websites for this kind of stuff cuz I was planning it out but I lost them......

maybe when you're over in europe you'll run into my ex girl... then you could fuck the bitch and try and stick it to her ass coz i could never get anything besides my finger to fit up there.. stupid h0.

bye.

Originally posted by ana

Stay away from Hostelling International (HI) hostels. They segregate guys and girls, don't allow booze, are stricter on drugs, and just plain not as fun. Independant hostels are great. If you're planning to go to Europe, www.hostelseurope.com is great. THe Kabul in Barcelona is great, in a sketchy loc but hey getting offered crack, pot, hash, heroin, mush in the span of 5 mins is an experience to be lived. THe Aloha or 3 ducks in Paris are good too.

For packing-pack light. You're going to be walking with it for amazingly long amounts of time. You need at the max 3 days worth of clothes.

HEy starter of this thread-are you travelling alone, with someone? Where are ya off to?

thanks. im going across europe. im travelling alone, but staying witha few friends there. ive heard bad things about hostels in paris. maybe ill have to peep the kabul.

Email me if you want some more info...

Super, super important thing that I regret I didn't do...make sure you've figured out what/why you're doing this for (for art, to find yourself, to party etc...)

Oh and bring condoms, they're damn expensive and sketchy in certain parts..

Originally posted by ana

Email me if you want some more info...

Super, super important thing that I regret I didn't do...make sure you've figured out what/why you're doing this for (for art, to find yourself, to party etc...)

Oh and bring condoms, they're damn expensive and sketchy in certain parts..

thanks, i think i will email you shortly im tired as fuck and not making sense,

Too awsome!

I'm moving to Spain in 2005.. not really backpacking.. but renting out cheap villas maybe.. for a couple of months only... probably find a day job for beer money at night. What are some good tips for Spain?

I'm thinking Madrid.. or Leon... maybe even Barcelona...

I just spent 5 weeks in Europe. I didn't stay in any hostels tho, but I found some decent deals at two-stars and bed and breakfasts. Once I got on the road I realised I didn't need half the stuff I took with me, and some things were just uncomfortable for travelling. So pack sensibly.

Here's a tip: The only places that have real absinthe are in Spain and Portugal, and maybe Prague. I was out of luck because I didn't go to any of those places. Oh well, next time. I settled for absinthe liqueur in Paris, which is still hard to get, and doesn't have the hallicinagenic properties. I think London is a good place to get absinthe as well.

Being vegetarian (which I am) is sort of a pain in Euroland, but there are many rewards as well - like the fresh produce, olive oil and breads. And you can't get enough of those pomme frites!

If you skate, you best be going to Marseille. I can tell you a place to stay there that's cheap and not a hostel. It's a room above a latin jazz bar, where the owner speaks english. Only a skip from the skate park. If you skate, and are going to south of france, email me, and I tell you more places to go. Barcelona is known to be EXCELLENT!

The showers suck, and most of all, the drinking water is gross. Always buy bottled at supermarkets for the best deal. If you ask for water in a cafe, they give you bottled mineral water and charge you up the ass.

Originally posted by T.T Boy

thanks. im going across europe. im travelling alone, but staying witha few friends there. ive heard bad things about hostels in paris. maybe ill have to peep the kabul.

paris hostels suck and the city can smell like piss and sewer gas all day...

in paris try and nab an inexpensive hotel if possible. the best way to keep the price down is to try and get a few people together who can all chip in. there's one around the corner from gare du nord called the champagne hotel if you're interested. i stayed there 2 yrs ago and it was quite nice. you make a left out of the station (dunkerque) and bust your first left. you should see it from there.

backpacking is fucking awesome. I love it. it may be my favorite thing to do. I spent 5 1/2 long ass weeks in the san juan mountains in colorado working on the continental divide trail. let me tell you, life 10'000 feet above the sea is a different life altogether. one where everything you can see is beautiful. like the ocean, except mountains are where all the water should go. I've been lucky enough to visit a few European countries, but the one I know the best is Spain. I've been hiking all around, but mostly in Andalucia. the Canary Islands have some amazing hikes, but getting there (even via Spain) is expensive. the Pyrenees mts. are cool enough and you can even hike Spain's version of Sierra Nevada. despite all that, the best part about Spain is the cultural life there. just hanging out with Spaniards is an amazing experience, unlike anything else. DEE, there's lots more to tell (I lived in Spain for a few months and it was the closest I've ever been to 'happy'), but most of it doesn't pertain to the topic, e-mail me if you want. also, find some aussies. australians are the kings of travel. you will encounter many of them on worldwide travels that last a year and more. I learned a lot in my experiences with them. uhm... bring comfortable shoes. you'll be doing so much walking in crazy European climates. it pays off to eat the cheapest, weirdest food. you'll SAVE SAVE SAVE which = MORE MORE MORE Europe for you.

Originally posted by PopGunWar

hehe that last reply made me blush.

You amuse me-you start a thread trying to get 12oz gals to show their breasts and in another thread are embarressed by the mention of condoms.

Originally posted by ana

make sure you've figured out what/why you're doing this for (for art, to find yourself, to party etc...)

:mad:

goddamnit i'm so sick of hearing people say "you need to go overseas to find yourself" or "i'm going overseas to find myself"... that's the biggest fucking cop out ever. what ? do they give you some book on the 'key to getting in touch with yourself' or something at the international airport ? so many people can't wait to go overseas before they even seen 1 tenth of the country that they live in....

this isn't directed at you personally ana, so don't take offense..

:mad:

Avils, I actually totally agree with you. A lot of people who go travelling to find themselves, have no imagination. But then alot of people do "find themselves" or gain greater insight into their own character.

I can only speak for myself. The first time I went travelling, it was a huge block of time that I had to myself, to do whatever I wanted. And I ended up figuring out what I really wanted to do and see, cause I wasn't responsible to anyone but myself. I don't think I''m explaining this whole concept very well.

I still think it helps to have an idea of what you want to get out of your trip-art, culture, sex, getting away from your parents, whatever. I think that you find it changes as you go through the trip but I think it's still worth the mental effort.

Guest serpent of the light

(too lazy to read previous posts)

main thing is don't pack unnecessaries. get a small stove. eat cous cous and rice and beans and fruit and granola. make your granola. use honey in it. sierra trading post is an excellent place for deals on gear. i'm sure they've got a webpage somewhere. good shoes and socks are probably the most important thing EVER. so yeah, there are some tips from the serpent.

Originally posted by ana

Avils, I actually totally agree with you. A lot of people who go travelling to find themselves, have no imagination. But then alot of people do "find themselves" or gain greater insight into their own character.

I can only speak for myself. The first time I went travelling, it was a huge block of time that I had to myself, to do whatever I wanted. And I ended up figuring out what I really wanted to do and see, cause I wasn't responsible to anyone but myself. I don't think I''m explaining this whole concept very well.

cool.. yeah as i said that wasn't directed at you, so i'm glad you didnt get mad.

you have some good points and i can relate to what you say.. i guess my whole gripe is that its become almost like a cliche'... people thinking that it's necessary to go overseas for a period of time to actually discover themselves, and that if they don't then they're doomed for ever or something..

i'm all for having time to yourself and you're right, you develop as a person as a result..but is that the real you or the person you become once you realise you're 10,000miles from home without any of your friends or family and with no money... who knows ???

oh and if this is any help, i am slightly bitter about this topic mainly because my girl left me to go overseas to 'find herself'... blah blah

i'm out.

Guest serpent of the light

/// awe, does somebody need a hug???

my girlfriend's mom walked in on us making out last night. that was hilarious.

Archived