where is rap going

Motha Fuka

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

manifesto

use the internet as a resource. only way i've found some of my favorite indie and shibuya-kei artists, not to mention hip-hop.

try some of these? jurassic 5, atmosphere, cannibal ox, illogic, all natural, typical cats (or qwel or qwazaar), blackalicious, latryx.....blah.

Originally posted by GEAsusONEnep

You're right. I need to shut the fuck up. I keep forgetting that you're the authority on what hip hop is real and what isn't. PLEEEEEEASE you fucking nerd. I never said I liked Nelly or Ja Rule. Jay Z is original. Nas is original. Beanie is original. If you don't think they're not writing "fresh, original lyrics", then you're a fucking idiot. Stop hating on mainstream because its mainstream. You don't like how they rap about girls, cars, money and ice? Too fucking bad. No one said corny white boys like you are supposed to like it. Its not FOR corny white boys like you. Bling bling ass sound effects? Do you seriously have some sort of mild retardation? Not everyone wants to hear gritty sampling and drum machines all the time you fucking idiot. If you can afford a dope production, you're going to use it. That doesn't make it any less hip hop. Who cares if they're on MTV? They're GETTING MONEY. These are people that are used to living in smelly, shitty row homes and projects that are infested with coach roaches. They're naturally going to have a "get money" attitude and buy nice things after they get that money. Go listen to your "underground" you fucking suburban backpacking nerd.

LoL, u got me there hahah. Tobad im not ur everyday suberban backpacker that ur refering too. And the fuckin rap Im refering to is way harsher than the simple "pimp hoes and sell my fuckin asshole to mtv to make some money to buy some Ice and an Escalade sittin on duece dueces". Its all about ridin in buckets straped with the mossberg 12 gauge. lol. I think most rap is about making the money and shit but who cares if they have girls. I hate how mainstream shit gives such a false sense to reality nowadays. Thats why you got fuckin wiggers out here with bleached jeans and gold teeth. The funny thing is I am white, the other day I was talking to a black dude that i know at school and I mentioned Andre Nickatina and the kid asked me "whats that some white boy tunes". The name of this topic is "WHERE IS RAP GOING" well its going to the shithole with all this mainstream rap bullshit thats going on so that about sums it up.LOL suburban backpacking nerd.

Guest Ted Wakowski

To get in-depth, here's a certain problem I see with commercial Hip Hop these days:

As soon as commercially successful cats like Jay-Z start to really bank off of their music and the cash starts pouring in the situation gets out of hand. The bulk of their money-weilding fanbase -- suburban kids from comfortable lives -- start to idolize them and pour millions of dollars into buying their shit. Corporations with dollar signs in their eyes jump on board and the record labels they run market the fuck out of this scenario and you end up with huge corporate entities like AOL-Time-Warner profiting off of musicians from the ghetto and their happy-go-lucky suburban consumers, in turn putting more money into the pockets of the corporate interest -- the same interest that lobbies Washington and backs politicians who support racist drug laws, who fail to improve inner-city schools, who cut taxes for the rich and gerrymander districts, who play a hand in all types of fucked up shit that actually helps maintain the head count of poor minorities and reinforces the existence of the types of crime-ridden ghettos that rappers like Jay-Z fight to transcend in the first place. What a backwards system.

Guest donkeyslong

WHATEVER MAN, FUCK WHITE PEOPLE, RAP IS A BLACK MANS GAME , SO CRACKERS STAY THE FUCK OUT!!!!:king: :king:

i got to say that mainstream rap is about money but back in the day it wasnt about fukin billion dollar chains and it wasnt about cash or cars it was about wearin clocks on ur fukin chain it wasnt about platnum it was about gold and it was about rhymes not songs with jlo and nate dogg

Hey,fuck you Donkey.......it's a free country and anyone can do whatever they want(sort of)......for you to say "fuck "white" people" is ignorant as fuck on your part----I would be more than happy to rhyme with you in person and chances are,I would rip you a fucking new asshole....I don't agree with racist chumps,who if you like to rhyme(and you happen to be "white") start calling you Slim Shady and shit-it's bullshit.I'm almost 30 and have listened to the music for many years and have been rhyming for ummmmm.probably about 10 years now....as far as you backpackers go talking shit on Jay-Z,maybe you should find some old Original Flavor shit with him on it...I could care less what he does now....he paid his dues,so shut the fuck up,also Common being garbage?...you are gay,again go pick up his shit from '92 and '94 and tell me again you think he is garbage....whatever.you kids need to learn....people claiming they listen to "underground"....man,"underground" isn't that "underground" anymore-if you have heard it-it isn't "underground"........I hate "hip-hop" heads....even worse when they don't know they are talking about.Fuck You.haha........Iceburg....those were some good comments up above.

yeah raps only good if you listen to other music. it puts rap in perspective and alows the listener not to drown what the modern rap scene has become.

why does ''bling bling" rap apeal to people? im sure only about 10% of the people live the life these people are rhyming about, how can you relate to it?

Originally posted by donkeyslong

WHATEVER MAN, FUCK WHITE PEOPLE, RAP IS A BLACK MANS GAME , SO CRACKERS STAY THE FUCK OUT!!!!:king: :king:

THIS FOOL IS RIGHT! FUCK ALL THAT SHIT ABOUT ANYONE CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT. I CANT BE A FUCKING SENATOR YOU CRACKER!

Guest TEARZ

the rap era's out of control

brothers selling their soul

to go gold

going going gone

another rapper sold!

most of you don't even know who that is... back when going gold was crazy commercial. haha. times have changed.

Guest SPLINTER

yeah i just noticed how much rap has sucked. i thought the summer was gonna bring sum new albums but "its hot in here" is just bullshit. the local hip hop station (Power 106) plays good stuff in the morning but the rest of they day is bullshit till about 9 or 10PM. ive been listening to KROQ more and i like hip hop way more. i dont undertand whats going on. i thought shit was getting good when NaS dit "one mic" cuz his lyrics were deep and "got youre self a gun" was good too. then i heard Dj quick bull and nelly's bull with nsync. then i start hearing Ja-Rule in every other song. man bring out DMX, Snoop, NAS, and the guys making good shit on the mainstream. i used to dig jayz but damn all he talks about is money now, we know youre rich get on something else now. EMINEM fucking EMINEM is the king right now. somethings wrong with that.

i can trace all this shit back to one man. Sean Puffy Combs. that man ruined shit. Biggie kept shit balanced. even when puff started selling the millionare image Biggie kept is real and enjoyable. then jayz and jurmaine jumped on it and i noticed it all going down right there and then. fucking NOLIMIT and CashMoney were total BULLSHIT. they made the south look like retards. i doubt Outkast like those labels.

im not gonna talk about underground, i dont have the time to look for underground stuff but i think these guys need to step up and do shit right. until then Marley, Zeppelin, Sublime, Santana, and stuff like that will replace it till i here some good stuff again.

Guest Canadiano

I was watching NewMusic on MuchMusic a year or so back, and they had a pretty cool interview with KRS. They even zoomed right into my boy's tag on the fadeaway in the Toronto section.

Anyways, here he is, KRS, strolling down the street somewhere in Harlem, and a big group of nine year olds rush up to the camera and start acting all giddy. The interviewer asks the girls "So who's your favourite rappers?" and the little girls respond, "Nelly! Nelly!" They also screamed out Ja Rule and some other typical popstars. KRS just laughed and said to the girls (who all admitted to have never heard of KRS) that he was old school, real old school. I thought it was pretty funny. Well, Tease, it looks like you have the same taste. If you go to Rawkus' site , then go to Kweli's biography, in the first couple of paragraphs there is a sick couple of lines about rap today. the 'bling bling' rap, and the bullshit underground.

Guest SPLINTER

Rawkus man Rawkus.

theyre the only ones still putting out good beats and shit. i didnt even know Mr.Choc was with them hes the only dj on Power106 that is worth listening to. hes the only one that plays good songs. him and his homie Cminus. cminus pulls some long hours sometimes and those are good to listen to on a long trip.

Guest Canadiano

"...and even the underground has become lost in its own rhetoric, as if the only reality hip-hop promotes centers on backpackers and open mics..."

Archived