characters

Kettie

What do y’all think of characters? There have been some great writers that do ‘em, but do you think characters alone are enough. Do you need a piece to go with them? Any difficulties you’ve found with them? I’ve been havin troubles carrying enough paint to get good detail on them.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yo Characters are all fun, i love drawing and putting them up. You could bomb characters, you could throw them with a peice, you could do them just alone, or you could do chacters as peices, the list is endless what you could do. Just becreative. And as far as carring the paint just get a bag bigenough to hold all the paint in. But either way have fun doing them. you should post some up here...

Guest Fabo 2

The thing about characters is that unless you have a truly simple character it takes a long time to paint them and it takes a long time to make a name for yourself.

good characters are hard to paint but anyone can draw cool characters on paper. I think a sick character looks pretty dope accompanied by a piece. Anyone else notice that the public find characters heaps more appealing? when ever i'm with a non-graffer they never give a shit about peices and then they see a character an are like "damn that is some wicked graffti".

.....no

Originally posted by Fabo 2

The thing about characters is that unless you have a truly simple character it takes a long time to paint them and it takes a long time to make a name for yourself.

Not totally true. I started painting chars then went to letters. If you get good at chars you can burn them just as fast as pieces. I do end to end rails with HUGE sets of eyes that take less time to do than pieces.

CAPS...... "eye train hard"

Guest 87centHitMan

I couldn't really draw characters very well until I got really good at making all sorts of bombstyles. after a while, I realized that all I'm really doing when I draw characters is combining bombstyle and handstyle techniques and putting them together to make faces, hats, cans, all that shit. Hands were kind of tough, but I got those down after a while. Characters are fun when you know how to do them. It's a very good display of your style and skills.

Characters are cool, and I agree that keeping it simple is good unless you have lots of time. I think that the question becomes how much artistic ability are you putting into the character? If you are going to do something that could be in a museum, then it is going to be a pain, but if you are going to throw soem shit up quick it won't look as good. Either way it is something different to see in the dull, grey landscape called city.

Guest 87centHitMan

people tend to recognize a cartoon charater alot easier than a tricked-out handstyle, or piece, because it's alot harder for non-writers to read script or any kind of funky wildstyle. I think people have a greater appreciation for characters, too. There's this one wall in my town that just got buffed, and there was this sweet-ass little monkey character in one the wall, and the dude that painted it buffed all the hands and bombs, but not the monkey. It was cool as hell. He actually kept it on the wall and paid careful attention not to go over it!

Sweet monkey!! I think that characters get a little more art oriented respect, and I have heard, though I am not sure how true it is that if you bring characters to a legal, and show them off, they are more likely to give permission... Any thoughts on that?

Guest Dyptheria
Originally posted by crisis

the best characters are probably simple ones...people recognize them, and it becomes your tademark....look at Jaber and Dalek

hmmm....Mode2, Skrybe, Katch, etc... all do characters that aren't very simple, and i can spot their style in one quick glance

• 4 months later...

ya'll know what they all say.. . "a picture worth a thousand words" that would mean that a sick looking character would worth couple hundreds of tags or pieces.. but only if it's nicely done(the character that is)

all you writers out there that are tempting to put up characters better sketch and sketch some more on yours because a gay looking tag is so much less annoying looking than a gay looking character.

whatchu writing for???:mad:

Archived