#1 hiphop album of all time?

eminusone

Guest dukeofyork
Originally posted by SayOne

this is an impossible question to answer too many cats to name like BIG, gangstarr, wu tang, gza, kool g rap, big l , killah priest, jay-z, nas, blah blah blahhh.................

jesus, how many fucking posts did it take before someone mentioned possibly the best shit out there???

gangstarr with out a fucking doubt.

any hiero affiliated shit is hot too....but come on........gangstarr...

:king:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest platapie

aceyalone-book of human language

why did this album get no love here? this is the most influental hiphop album ever.

in no particular order:

outkast: atliens

wutang: 36 chambers

dj shadow: endtroducing

atmosphere: overcast LP

eric b & rakim: paid in full

tupac: me against the world

nas: illmatic

^ i think some of the most important albums, plus my favorites

Guest TEARZ
Originally posted by platapie

this is the most influental hiphop album ever.

uhhhh, please dude. i love acey, probably my favorite rapper of all time, but most influential album ever? that's a joke. how can something be the most influential ever if most people have never heard of it, and it came out in 1997? who is it influencing? you can say a lot about that record, but "most influential?" sorry brah. if you wanna make that claim about an acey-involved album, it'd absolutely be "to whom it may concern."

zesto and seeking, you two probably have the most decent lists on here. zesto, i agree with your choices, but i'd certainly subtract no more mr. nice guy. it just doesn't hold up with the others, and if i had to pick a gang starr, i'd pick hard to earn, but that's just personal.

seeking, first 4 pe, no question. paul's boutique, eh, production wise yes... again, just personal...

for me... on a strictly personal, "meant the most to me, defined my childhood" level: blacksheep "wolf in sheep's clothing" or "nwa and the posse." any attempt at an objective claim for #1 is useless, but it's interesting to see what people are saying.

Originally posted by im not witty

black star.. its not "the best" or whatever lame title you want to give it, but its a solid album with all good songs. so there.

very close, but not at the top....

outkast, ATLiens > a new level > a new sound > damn near untouchable.

but labcabincalifornia, prince of thieves, soundbombing 2, and peoples instinctive travels are all up there too.

Guest Porcheezee

most influential? paid in full. that album defined what rap has becaome in the last 15 years. of course we could go way back, but paid in full set hip hop up in the direction to make it what it is today, the uderground and the mainstream. damn near everyone's flow, whether they know it or not, is based on rakim's in one way or another. and don't get me started on the production...

Guest Ted Wakowski

I got real into Hip Hop all through the '90s (new jack) so a few of my favorites would be:

Common - Resurrection

Jeru - The Sun Rises in the East

Das Efx - Hold it Down

Mystik Journeymen - Black Sands

Souls - 93 til

Freestyle Fellowship - Innercity Griots

Percee-P.."now and then"

Godfather Don-"Don's besides"-LP

Nas.."Illmatic"

any Gangstarr albums

Hiero B-Sides.

Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth....all 3 of 'em.

The Cenobites(I like it because it's different)

Atmosphere"Overcast!"

Freestyle Fellowship"Inner City Griots"-93

Diamond Shell and Dana Dane....

....and CoFlow....timeless classic.

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by --zeSto--

Paid In Full

Criminal Minded

Strictly Business

to quote myself...

Rakim (and to a lesser extent KRS, and lesser Kane) change HOW people rapped.

Anything from before that seems incredibly oldschool.

And the 36 Chambers changed the way we say the rap "group".

It was the invention of "characters" in rap. Sure people had pseudo-names/styles,

but the unity of the members and the sound was groundbreaking.

but back to my first point...

Paid In Full Changed the way Everyone Rapped.

(but someone would have changed it if Rakim didn't,

the time was right. Kind of like the Beastie boys did for white kids.)

Guest platapie
Originally posted by TEARZ

uhhhh, please dude. i love acey, probably my favorite rapper of all time, but most influential album ever? that's a joke. how can something be the most influential ever if most people have never heard of it, and it came out in 1997? who is it influencing? you can say a lot about that record, but "most influential?" sorry brah. if you wanna make that claim about an acey-involved album, it'd absolutely be "to whom it may concern."

zesto and seeking, you two probably have the most decent lists on here. zesto, i agree with your choices, but i'd certainly subtract no more mr. nice guy. it just doesn't hold up with the others, and if i had to pick a gang starr, i'd pick hard to earn, but that's just personal.

seeking, first 4 pe, no question. paul's boutique, eh, production wise yes... again, just personal...

for me... on a strictly personal, "meant the most to me, defined my childhood" level: blacksheep "wolf in sheep's clothing" or "nwa and the posse." any attempt at an objective claim for #1 is useless, but it's interesting to see what people are saying.

i know i just got a lil heated not seeing acey on anyones list. thats a great album tho. blacksheep-strobelight huneys is the winah.

De La Soul - any one

Organized Confusion - any one

Sunz of Man - THe old shit

Nasty nas

Hobo Junction

Gravediggaz - Get the new album

Poetic, rest in peace

Gangstar

liquid swords

starks & shef

Freestyle fellowship

Project blowed

OMD

Mood-

Jedi Mind Tricks- everything up until violent by design

Lost chirldren of babylon

Labteck one

Orko the cycotic alein

CvE-Tray loc

Himni

Beneth the surface- the album

Shabazz the deciple

Aalikes

Guest Porcheezee

kool keith deserves a shoutout too, the most consistant of all time... he's been rockin it since the early 80's and still makes groundbreaking music.

too many to list..

Gangstarr

Wu ("36 Chambers", "Cuban Linx", "Ironman", "Liquid Swords", "Supreme Clientele")

Anything Prince Paul has laid his dirty fingers on..

ANY De La Soul album (I find all that I own enjoyable)

Boot Camp Clik / Duck Down (Black Moon - "Enta Da Stage", Heltah Skeltah - "Nocturnal", Smif N' Wessun - "Dah Shinin", OGC - "Da Storm")

I got love for Kool Keith

Nas "ILLmatic"

Pharcyde "Bizarre Ride..." "Labcabincalifornia"

Souls of Mischief "93 Til"

Del "No Need For Alarm"

The Roots "Do you want more"

too many

Archived