Bombing vs. Piecing

moonstrahl

Guest -MOE LESTER-

^^^ word...just shut the fuck up...go out and bomb....i personally find illegal hot spots 100000x more appealing than some legal wall, no matter what kind of graff is there....dopest writers are ones like reyes...who take legal wall type styles into the hottest spots!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by moonstrahl

Hey there everyone, I am 100% sure that this is a thread that has graced this forum many times. Since I did not find it active right now, I am going to ask the question: Which is better bombing or piecing?

I personally thing that both is appropriate, but I wanted to see what everyone thought. I just got in an argument with someone who said that piecing is for people who think graff is art, and the true vandal bombs..., I am not sure how I feel about that since I can see arguments on both sides, but before I ramble my sac off I want you all to respond.

Who cares....? I think you should bomb and piece. But do whatever you want.

obviously you need to be able to do both as everyone already said--but i think if i had to pick one, bombing is the essence of graffiti. while i do believe in the evolution from tags to throws to deadletters to pieces, i don't think that when you move to the next level you give up the previous level. how many writers in this day and age have a good throwup? or how about a oneliner? who has good deadletters? i think there's more people who are good at piecing than people who are good at bombing these days. and i don't think that's what graf is about, because your average joe can look at a legal and see that it's art. a vfr throwup, only a writer sees the beauty in that. i think that in order to do tags/throwies/deads right you need to have just as much skill as any piecer. and i think that while you can bust out simple letters earlier in your career, you dont really understand how to do it good until you've been painting for a long time. it's like learning a martial art. even when you're a black belt, you still practice the basics you learned when you were a white belt because that's your foundation.

depending on what a person is working towards by doing graffiti is really what should judge where the cards fall but in my opinion a good graffiti artist should do both, they should also probably catch linetags on a regular basis as well and if they are developed enough characters too but coming from the perspective of someone who is not good at character work unless preplanned i understand why one wouldnt want too. its definately good for experience reasons though even if you dont paint them illegally on a regular basis.

• 3 years later...

It's more of a question of real estate than anything. If your in some abandoned spot, piece, because it's fun and you've got time. You don't do throwys and tags in abandoned or serious writer spots. It doesn't make sense. You do throwys in public where youll get up, you do pieces in lesser known spots where you'll get respecte. And never take this game to seriously. We're all writers, and most of us understand there are some who just bomb or just piece, so you don't have to be some multifaceted picasso to get up. Getting up has many definitions. Quality or quanity is mostly it. Quality will get you respected, a few niiiice pieces. Quanity will get you feared (cross outs), and quanity will get you up. Which is why most of the real kings do both. When I say kings I mean traditional ones. You know, piecing and bombing and that's it. No wheat paste, that. I mean aerosol kings. Bombing is like oral sex, compared to pieciing being sex. Yeah oral is quicker, not as satisfying. You may not always get a chance to go all the way, but when you do get sex, make it worth it. If you are in the mood for imideate payoff, then bomb.

i agree wit m8rd

but if you have a dope throwy than you can crush where ever cause other writters will say(Damn thats ill) then they crap them selfs when they see your piece.

or like ADEK said" To me,throw-ups are just as complex as an intricate piece.It just matters how sick you do the letters" thats why its good to have a dope throwie ;)

• 3 months later...

Piecing takes skill aswell but so do throwies. I mean, there's also that one time where you do a sick ass piece and some hater comes up and just does a throwie on your shit. And if that bomber is good, you wont know who was under him. Plus a lot of beef starts that way. People who just fuckin hate you or want to start beef will just do throwies over your shit and it's an easy way of fuckin up your piece.

-jkl

Bombing is like oral sex, compared to pieciing being sex. Yeah oral is quicker, not as satisfying.

Maybe it's just the girls I fuck with, but it usually takes me forever to bust a nut when getting head, and when I do it's mad satisfying, different than fucking.

But anyway...

It bugs the hell out of me when writers who piece all the time can't even write their name in a non-retarded fashion. Yeah, the well rounded writer who can rock tags, throw ups, dead letters, pieces etc is best obviously (true kings do it all), but if you want to specialize in pieceing, at least learn to tag your own name well (if not develop multiple tag styles for the whole alphabet, which would bump you toward the "style master" category). You gotta be able to tag, regardless of what you're "thing" is in the game.

People who are really ill at throw ups (style wise, not just spots/ups) are rare and get a lot of respect in my eyes. There's as many bullshit throwup writers out as there are bullshit wildstyle legal eagles out. But if you're comparing what's better, bullshit bombers vs bullshit piecers, I guess the bombers win on the guts factor.

and its important to do everything, tags,bombs, pieces, rollers, trains...the works...

be well rounded = :king:

Gotta drop the stickers up there as well, nothing more fun that coming home exausted as fuck, wakin up, and on your way to the store for a morning McD's Slappin stickers alll over the fuckin place.

bombing is good fun after a night out, plus it requires less money...

i prefer peicing, it's a good feeling when you stand back at look at your finished work...

i would say bombing is all the rush. when you piece you piece in spots that are known but a spot youre pretty sure not to get caught. when you bomb who gives a fuck where you do it. its all about the craziest spots with the dopest styles

no shit, you can sit back and be like..ok..nice bomb...but the 4 peeps who just saw me bomb starbucks fron windows are loookin at me funny..time to dip out. But standing back lookin at a piece at 4 in the morning..the BEST feeling is the next morning seeing your masterwork in the daylight of the rising sun.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically it boils down to this: do you want to spend 20 minutes, several hours and cans of paint on ONE piece, something that so few will see, and as a a general rule (especially for walls) and runs a high risk of toys fucking it up or someone just going over it? In the same amount of time you could have walked around and caught 10, 20 tags, all in visible locations? Sure, it is nice to spend some time and do something nice, but it gets tired when your piece just lives in pictures.

To me, it comes down to skill...

I can draw some nice shit, but I cant paint it....my pen skill is ahead of my paint skill.

I just like bombing on the streets and on freights....the streets is nice around here because the busier the spot, the more ups you get and its less likely that some 11 year old SFC stole his paint from his daddys garage wont scribble in it (+5for a go over son!)

I respect a piece, but I'm not in graffiti to be artisy fartsy...when I'm 40, yeah, I do pieces at the local chill spot but fro now? I'm young, no crimminal record yet (and I hope never) so why not get out and tear things up?

If you want rush *bomb*

If you want art *burner*

and yes what chyea said above.. exactly....

Illegal or legal walls, they both have respect in my eyes. I think younger kids like to bomb because yes they have the energy and no record haha. Old folks like me have a record have already hung off bridges and signes and risked my life when I was younger, so far I'm still alive so I now want to be able to do a super dope burner and I don't want to worry about getting hemmed up by the po-lice. That doesn't mean I don't go out to do all forms of it " you can't ever stop " but the art side does take over when you get older. I think it should all be about art all the time and the bombers need to really try to make their shit look good as well as crazy ups. I honestly can't stand shitty ass tags and bombs and I do think it makes the surrounding area look shitty and horrible. I don't blame people for getting pissed, because I think it sucks ass too. Now if you put in some real work , even simple, but clean and colorful, then this adds to the quality of landscape I have to look at and I think deserves respect. Crazy spots and also quality will earn the respect you all want. Shitty ass tags no matter the spot really don't impress me anymore. Except well that "O'Clock dude" His shit sucks but his places are crazy and it's on video so it's cool haha.

Just try to make your shit look good. That's all there is too it.

Archived