Old School Frisco.

Pistol

Originally posted by amaze

psycho city was a good place for people that were to scared to do illegals to go and pretend.

Many people got cheap fame by painting there.

SF came of age once this place was gone.

good riddance

I must say it is nice to see some of these old tags on the sides....(stab tbc, mirez, etc..)

you know it's funny..I seem to see a few twist things up there...and well..

as far as I remember when I would visit...king had done quite a bit of work, as had poem, spie, dream,bum,wend,myk tmc,tmf,rot,mc,etc..

..I think it is bullshit to try and knock that place. Don't bite the hands that fed you...

touche.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by cleansheets

you know it's funny..I seem to see a few twist things up there...and well..

as far as I remember when I would visit...king had done quite a bit of work, as had poem, spie, dream,bum,wend,myk tmc,tmf,rot,mc,etc..

..I think it is bullshit to try and knock that place. Don't bite the hands that fed you...

touche. [/b]

None of those hands fed me, and most of those people you mentioned didnt get their rep from psycho shitty. Sadly some of them did.....

That place sucked...

So did "Funk City"

Guest Ser3adc
Originally posted by piecethesky

it's amazing to see stuff like this. I can't imagine what it would be like to see something like that in person or paint there.

my thoughts exactly...that one wall is just fuckin killed!...i would love to paint there.

i dont know...

as I recall SF was smashed all the way around during the psycho city era...the writers that stand out in my mind are the ones I saw up, and the only specific things from psycho city that are still stuck in my head is the Spie and Dream burners and the city scene that Crayone did with the buildings and huge bboy character.

There was tons of illegal work in SF at that time, I dont see how sf came of age when it went away, in fact that shows the beginning of the task force and buff era in my opinion. So many heads were up illegally in the streets and on the main street of the city you have writing four storys high and two parking lots on both sides of the streets packed with qaulity productions and peices. To me that showed that the writers ran things, cause you couldnt go anywhere in the city without everything being crushed. Somthing I havent seen since, every district and all the busses smashed with writing. I think the toleration showed by the citizens of the city during that era will never be replicated. And I am in no way trying to knock any work put in after the demise of psycho city, but you gotta admit, that was a pretty fuggin cool tourist attraction.

yes there were lots of tags back then, but were there as many pieces on the streets? How about throwups? Were there any rollers around? Was there a need for Etch?

shit never got buffed then. People were lazy.

San francisco's brightest moment came when the out of towners converged on SF and used the tricks they learned in their own hometowns. Not when the local yocals painted their legal wall..

yeah, I was pretty blown away when shit got smashed really hard...

allthough, I did recall a lot of throw ups...

hmmmmmm

i would look like a jackass trynna argue with you, and I respect your veiw point.

but im still gonna say i recalled a lot of fillins and hollows and peices in the pits, no where near as much as when the out of towners came through but..plus the bus hopper era was cool, the first time i came to the city, on the first bus i got on i met four hoppers with a home made flashlight uni and we got kicked off the bus for crushing it.....anyway....

i choose to have a positive memory of a gawdy parking lot in the middle of the downtown district. However Im no where near the savage you are so...thats just me.

respect.

Originally posted by amaze

San francisco's brightest moment came when the out of towners converged on SF and used the tricks they learned in their own hometowns. Not when the local yocals painted their legal wall..

It's not like the out of towners lasted all that long either. It was flash in the pan - and when shit got more heated, they all moved away again - I miss alot of them, I do, but hey, things change, people change.

God bless the SF graff 'art' scene. Whether it be on a legal wall or in a gallery makes little difference.

Well I will refrain from any further comments beyond the fact that psycho city was a good place and many heads got jacked for their tools.

Where one gets their rep from doesn't mean shit, what matters is how they carry it. and cheap fame from cheap thrills..right?.. The out of towners that came thru.. you could have caught quite a few of them with peices running their too.The legal eagles of that era are exactly that.. anyhow...speaking of...ahh..nevermind..you know that spot on that..

And I remember ***** telling me I was stupid for painting that place in broad daylight like I did because it was illegal.well this out of towner was cool with that...

And if my prodigious memeory serves me correctly I recall meeting you there one day on my visit... word life.

AND THESE CATS WOULD AND STILL BURN...king,poem,dream,spie,dug,deen,bsaro,rise,most,rwd,guees,rko

tmc,mc,rot,gf,amend,nel,stash5,50,usc,cels,prism,wim,giant, king cuba,tbc crew, trem73....etc

real heads with real styles....painting some godamn psycho city shit. Got me missing my few times there...

and I rode a bus with 30 SECONDS..

*ka-ching*

yall keep it real now.

peace

:king:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i gotta admit, on the east coast, the first real bombing i saw from SF was like evade felon sope and company. the only real locals i really sweated were oakland cats...i figured sf to be sort of like the village is to nyc...bombed, but not really a city like bklyn or bronx...kinda like an alternative-artsy kinda hood. who knows, ive never been there..im not trying to instigate..i still sweat dream forever and all of tdk really....just saying, from the east coast POV, i really thought lots of those outsiders were the first real bombers out there.

to the sucka free's credit, i think in a lot of ways they have *surpassed* tons of east coast cities SINCE then (like philly). when i was 16, and twist was killing manhatten, i thought he was *from* nyc...lol. then his young bol amaze did the same when i was like 18. i was like amazed (bad pun intended) that these sf kids were killing it. now, you got adek and tie, grey and vegan, all the out of towners like msk/awr and kyt...SF has really been a central node for graff in the 90s....much more so than nyc or philly i believe. although nyc styles have proliferated, i thinks its about 90% ghost and reas....whereas everyone and their brother boosted handstyles from SF cats like twist. in fact, one of the reasons i love our local philly hands so much is the fact that we are one of the few places that are insulated from the marsh/do a circle around your tag style....not that i dont rock ny/sf handstyles sometimes...just that i can rock my own hometown shit as well--some of these new midwest towns pretty much abandoned their local roots and basically borrowed their whole scene from SF once mags blew up.

oh well...i think everyone has a sort of love/hate thing with sf because theyre a small city and they get a lot of shine per capita....fuck it, they do their thing, thats hot. its a little disappointing to hear amaze talk down on the psycho city cats though.....amaze, i know what you mean, but until youve had something like the "PF crew" (sew, pose2, dna, ced, jesc, etc...) crap that happened to philly happen to yall, you really dont know what its like to have legal writers take over your cities rep for a hot second.

i know they didnt bomb like yall do (psycho city era cats), but thats your legacy, not something to spit on those cats for....i really dont think anyone in the 80s bombed like our gen...the penalties werent ANYTHING like what we got, the racks werent ANYWHERE near as tough, and the cities were NOWHERE near as hip to what was going on.....and we're getting iller every year. its the same everywhere....me and trasher used to do el roofs here in west philly (like you did with spo at 52nd st) like there was no tomorrow..night after night..and spo or suroc was like complimenting us once, and i was like "yeah, but we never really could catch up to what yall did..." and they were like "man you guys are bombing 10X as much as we were...!"

i think a lot of old heads reminisce bigger than they think...but i dont mean they were overrated...what we have over them in risk and innovation, they have over us in paving the way....if graff wasnt as ill as it is now, maybe we too wouldnt be as motivated to use fucking etch to eat glass up....i dunno..

i got love for all of sf..id love to make it out there someday...just something really irks me about paying for a flight to soemwhere in my own country for the price of going to europe. ive been to europe 3 or 4 times before...yet never further west than st. luois (and THAT was even a waste of money and paint)

• 2 weeks later...

WHEN I FIRST SAW THE TITLE " OLD SCHOOL FRISCO", I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO SEE SOME UB40, JAMZ, ESKI SHIT. AND SOME MUNI GETTING ROCKED BY ROF, RSD, GUN, RSP, DF, TNP, SW, GF CREWS. AND BOMBERS LIKE TANK, TEE1, REWIND, CAB, KOPER, LAZ, ROSK, DINK, CRIME, DARKS AND RAZOR!!

I AIN'T GOT A SCANNER SO I GUESS I'LL SAVE MY OLD SCHOOL FRISCO SHIT FOR LATER

RENEGADES OF FUNK

• 1 month later...
Guest -MOE LESTER-
Originally posted by AMEN1

WHEN I FIRST SAW THE TITLE " OLD SCHOOL FRISCO", I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO SEE SOME UB40, JAMZ, ESKI SHIT. AND SOME MUNI GETTING ROCKED BY ROF, RSD, GUN, RSP, DF, TNP, SW, GF CREWS. AND BOMBERS LIKE TANK, TEE1, REWIND, CAB, KOPER, LAZ, ROSK, DINK, CRIME, DARKS AND RAZOR!!

I AIN'T GOT A SCANNER SO I GUESS I'LL SAVE MY OLD SCHOOL FRISCO SHIT FOR LATER

RENEGADES OF FUNK

YO MAN IF ANYONE HAS PICS OF OLD SCHOOL MUNI GETTING FUCKED UP POST THAT SHIT MAN!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived