Deleting infected files when it won't let you.......

Dr. Dazzle

Ok, so has anyone heard of the LoveLetter virus? Well, I have it. I've done all the stuff I (think) I'm supposed to, but there is this one infected file that I cannot delete. The following message comes up...

ERROR DELETING FILE

Cannot delete loveletter[1]:Access is denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use

So what does this mean, and how can I get rid of it?? Come on computer nerds, some help wouold be greatly appreciated......

:o

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Swizel

Some of the newer virus's don't even have to be opened....they can infect you by you viewing the subject of an email in your inbox. I'd say, restart in dos mode...and then delete it. It's kinda like, you can't delete an mp3 song while you're listening to it. If that doesn't help, there are numerous love letter "cleaning" tools available on the net.

a good thing to try when the "file is currently in use" message comes up is to boot your computer to safe mode (the manual to your computer should tell you how to do thing.....i hit f8 during start up but i also boot with dual partitions so things may be different for me being that i get an option screen before starting)....safe mode with basically run only the bare minimum in order for your computer to work, a stripped down version of your OS, this will allow you to get rid of any files like the one you described.....

i would only use this for those random nusance files that dont do anything and cant be deleted...if its an actual virus then youll need to go with what zack said...

best bet would be to delete it through dos, also if it says it may be running, check your ctrl+alt+delete window that pops up, i dont know to much about the love letter virus, but most likley its not gonna show up on the list, ive never tried doing it through safe mode, but sounds good to me, hope i helped

Archived