computer is fucked up. pelase help.

Mr. Mang

i thought i had a macro virus, so i followed someone's advice and tried to get a trial version of norton antivirus. i installed it, but it said it had errors and it froze.

i restart my computer, and norton freezes every time. i've done control+alt+delete, but even after closing the program the computer is unbearably slow or freezes. i'm thinking (hoping) that norton is the problem (as seems to be with all kinds of virus scans i've dealt with in the past), so i need to delete everything norton has on my computer.

* i have windows XP *

here are my questions:

how do i start my computer in DOS mode (what keys do i need to press to get the DOS prompt?)

how would i go about reformatting my hard drive if needed (through DOS)? [dont forget i have XP]

and help would be appreciated.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

are you talking bout reinstalling your system specs?

cause if you are you should be able to put the system restore disk in your comp, restart it and it should start in dos..but thats complete system restore...as for getting to dos normally i would not know...:o

im not familar with xp i still use 2kpro but...

yeah id just fucking reformat already.

2k/xp is based on the nt kernel so you cant really boot into dos as you can in 9x.

but you can make boot disks which will lead you into the 2k/xp reformatting sequence.

or if you have 98 bootdisk you can fdisk from there. id just make a xp boot disk though.

oh yeah if you got a retail xp cd or a bootable one then just pop that fucker back in and itll overwrite and format the HD.

Originally posted by deadlydnut

its the cia they think your a "terrorist"....

probably.

the problem is my computer freezes when i start windows, and i dont have a boot disk i don't think. never made one.

thanks for all the help. i just need to know the command to start in DOS mode.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Dude, i feel guilty mang..sending you there. It aint my fault i know but still, i owe you an apology just for contributing to this, so sorry. Apart from that i cant really help you, starting in dos by keyboard aint something i know...from what i understand this prolly aint got to do with a virus, its an internal thing...i suggest getting help from people that know that shit, and DONT format the disc, it aint gonna help

the problem is my computer is so slow as it is. the virus scan started to work a little bit, but then it froze again.

i could definitely use a virus scan with that band demo. i'll be down in less than a month. maybe we can meet up some time and i can give you some skate vids in return. sound good?

ask tb. i'm no carla thaler, dawg.

i pressed f8

got in safe mode

got into my computer successfully

tried to uninstall norton, but it wouldnt let me cause i was in safe mode

went in the norton folder and deleted everything i could (i know - bad idea)

eptied the recycle bin

restarted the computer

realized i was fucked

every time i start my computer, it gets in a cycle like this:

turns on

gives me my intel image

goes into f8 mode

i select something, and it restarts again

fuck. i'm broke and can't get the computer fixed for a long long time. i can't reformat cause there is no dos mode for me to work.

Archived