skinhead FAQ

Mr. Mang

this is from the AAMLA site; written by a friend of a friend who got a bunch of shit at school because he's a skinhead. read up so you don't become one of those kids giving him shit cause you don't know what you're talking about. sound tha bell - school's in sucka!

enjoy.

A Brief History of Skinheads as well as some Skinhead FAQs. Written and researched By Adam Buntain

What are Skinheads and where do they come from?

Skinheads are people, both male and female that share common ideals and beliefs about music, their way of life, their way of dress as well as other shared interests. Political views are left out because they tend to make people angry and mess up unity. Just like any other Subculture, we are made up of different races, political ideals, and upbringings; both religiously and economically.

Skinheads come from England. The subculture originated in the late 1960s and descends directly from the MOD movement of England. The popular belief that skinheads spawned from Nazi resentment/sympathy after WWII (Note: Nazi boneheads tend to spread rumors like this) or that they come from Jamaica are completely untrue (Note: Rude Boys come from Jamaica and Skinheads are descendant from them, but the Skinhead movement originated in Britain). History proves this with several facts but the media focuses on the hate mongers that will be covered next.

Aren’t all Skinheads racist?

Absolutely NOT. Not all Skinheads are racist. There are three major types of Skinheads: 1. There are racist skinheads, commonly referred to as boneheads. These are the Skinheads you see on TV and read about in the papers and Magazines. (Note: Why, you ask? Because the media likes to dig up dirt.) Most of these people haven’t a clue what being a skinhead is about much less have a clue about being civilized human beings.

2. There are SHARPS or ARA Skinheads. Sometimes they’re communists, sometimes they’re not, but basically, they tend to be so Anti-Racist that they end up being racist. Kind of hypocritical isn’t it? They at least generally know the history and dress in the typical skinhead fashion, however.

3. There are Trads (Traditional Skins) or your Non-Racist Skinheads. They stick as closely as possible to the original ways of the Skinhead. Most of us don’t talk about politics or even care about them much. But if you ask we all have our own beliefs about politics, unlike the “Mob Mentality” of the groups mentioned before. Most of us don’t like racism, but we really don’t tend to care all that much either. Politics mess up the Skinhead culture. (Note: From now on when Skinheads are mentioned, it refers to Trad or Non-Racist Skinheads)

What do Skinheads do?

Skinheads are basically like any other group or Subculture. We just like to hangout with our mates and have a few beers. Sometimes maybe we’ll all go to a show or a club and chase byrds, or if you’re a Skingirl, chase boys. It’s all about having fun in life. You stick with your mates through thick and thin.

Are Skinheads Violent or Mean?

Yes and No. The Skinhead movement is typically regarded as being a violent youth group, but it is no more violent than any group or subculture that has come before it. Here in the U.S.A., there were Rockers and Bikers in the 1950s and they were as violent as any Skinhead today. Skinheads fight mostly with anyone who gives us a hard time or accuses us of being Nazis or some other distasteful thing that no one wants to be called. We are violent in our own ways, but we’re not out to cause trouble. My advice to anyone is to not just walk up to someone say “Hey guys, what’s up?” because if you’re not a skinhead you may get messed with, and even if you are a skinhead, you may get heckled a bit. You don’t start off with trust in our Subculture. You earn it.

Are Skinheads in a gang?

If you ask police or any other Law Enforcement organization, then they will tell you that all skinheads in our area are in one gang and that we’re all racist. Any halfway-educated person would realize that that accusation is far from true. Skinheads have friends and most of them are, in fact, other skinheads. These groups of friends, in turn, form Crews. Crews are not gangs in the true sense of the word. They don’t go shooting rival crews, maybe rough them up a bit sometimes, but people have different beliefs and therefore cannot always get along. Most skinheads are not in Crews. The thing is, all of us are in the same Subculture and we all stick together no matter what. Like all people we do have our disagreements, however. But the notion that all Skinheads are a gang is false.

What kind of music do Skinheads listen to?

Skinheads listen to all types of music, but the most common genres are Oi!, Ska, Punk, and Hardcore. Oi! Music and Hardcore are two of the best musical forms ever created, and Skinhead bands were pioneers in both. Oi! is like punk rock, only it deals with subjects many would find offensive or even distasteful. Hardcore is, well, like the name sounds, it’s Hard and sometimes closely resembles Metal. Punk music is very close to Oi!, but was around before Oi! came into being. It is the foundation of our musical tastes and shares a lot of the same sound as Oi! The Ska that skinheads listen to is not the 3rd wave punk/ska stuff that you hear on the radio or see popularized these days. Ska started in Jamaica around 1965-1967 and was brought to England in about 1968. The first generation of skinheads fell in love with it, but by 1975 Ska was dead and punk rock came around and the Skins were saved! These are not the only genres Skinheads listen to, however. Many are just as at home with blues or rockabilly as they are with Oi!

What kind of clothes do Skinheads wear?

We mostly wear Levi’s Jeans, Fred Perry and Ben Sherman shirts, along with the ever-faithful Doc Marten Boots or some other similar type of boot. (Note: Skinheads are often referred to as Boot Boys due to the fact that we always wear our boots.) The dress is neat and sharp looking. On one hand you’ve got to look like your mothers golden boy, but on the other hand tough enough so nobody is going to want to mess with you.

What do colored bootlaces mean?

A Skinhead’s bootlaces mean just what they mean for everyone else. They hold our boots on. There are many “interpretations” of what bootlaces mean, but to be totally honest, it’s for looks. Red Laces look the best in Black Boots, and White look the best in Oxblood books. That’s the total truth. If you ask a Nazi Bonehead or a SHARP or ARA skin, then they’ll tell you that White means white power, and that Red means you’re a Nazi, and Plaid or Black means Anti-Racist. Law Enforcement as well as uneducated folks often fall victim to this, the most common of Skinhead misconceptions. Bootlaces are about holding our boots on and wearing the colors we like. That’s all and nothing more.

What do a Skinhead’s suspenders mean?

What do you think they mean? They’re to hold up our pants! And they’re not called "suspenders," they are BRACES. And thirdly, they don’t mean anything regarding color, just like bootlaces. It’s just about your own fashion sense and wearing the colors you like to wear.

Now You Know.

Well, that’s about all you need to know about the Skinhead Subculture. Now that you know we’re not all racists or Nazis, you have a better understanding of a group that has been involved in the underground music scene since the late 1960s. Bands like The Specials, Selecter, Inspecter 7, the Templars, Agnostic Front, The Business, and countless others have Skinhead members and are widely renown in the punk rock/Skinhead/Hardcore scene. Maybe now you can respect us when you see us walking down the street instead of making petty assumptions that keeps you from knowing some pretty interesting people.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest --zeSto--

well sorry to tell you... but the skinhead has changed!

it IS associated with Racism, and that connection will not be broken.

Just like the Swastika was turned from a universal symbol of faith,

into a generic symbol of hatered.

Some things cant be turn back to the way they once were.

i agree with zesto on the fact that it will probably remain unacceptable just due to the fact on peoples perception of other people...and general sentiment of a skinhead no matter is some bigot...it may be wrong but its the stereotype and it is to stapled...unless after 50 yrs or somethign it wears but...:cool:

not saying there anrent non racists as you put it mang..just stereotypes are hard to change

Guest --zeSto--

oh yeah... I totally agree that not all skinheads are facists.

Just like 99% of the swastikas in history were good ones...

but I'm saying that public perception will be very hard to change.

Just like the names Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Osama, they have a stigma.

for those who believe you can't "un-ring a bell" or get rid of sterotypes consider this:

kids in gangs spraypaint on walls to mark territory, right?

kids like you do it for art.

both called grafitti even though you have different intent. do you allow people to call you a gang member because of what you do? of course not.

i hope that was a decent scenario.

Originally posted by Mr. Mang

for those who believe you can't "un-ring a bell" or get rid of sterotypes consider this:

both called grafitti even though you have different intent. do you allow people to call you a gang member because of what you do? of course not.

Kids like me don't give a fuck what other people call them.

Guest --zeSto--

well here's a better version of the stereotyping...

pierced left ear = straight

pierced right ear = gay

well what if you have both ears pierced? (like mine)

A girls mom asked if it meant I was ac/dc (nice term).

No.. it means I like symmetry and balance. That's it.

some people may want to believe a lie,

but when the lie has gotten so big that it's involed thousands of people

and the loss of human life, it's imposible to 'un-cut the hole'

god i hate this shit... i deal with skins all the fucking time, and no, i'm not gonna say they're all racist, but i will say this: first, a good chunk of them are. don't try to tell me how small you think the percentage is, enough of them are racist. second, the ones that aren't racist choose to associate themselves with a group that is percieved to be racist (and yes, i do the exact same thing by being involved in graffiti, i'm just stating a fact)... you can try to wittle down the differences between the trads and the meatheads (that's what we call em out here) but in the end, they all wear the same uniform... Third, saying they're no more violent than any other "violent" group in history is a total cop-out... violent is violent... so since rockers and bikers were assholes back in the day that gives you the right to beat anyone that looks at you funny? i have a good handfull of skin friends, but these are the ones that don't fight!!! at my job i am sometimes responsible for the safety of some times up to 400 people... and when skins show up i know that i need to be ready to start breaking up fights, and then, most likely be in a few myself... i hate fighting- i hate getting hurt and i hate hurting other people- so i always try to solve things at work without it coming down to a fight... but believe me i have knocked out quite a few skinhead teeth-- trad, sharp, and nazi skin teeth...

anyways, racists or not, being violent isn't cool in my book...

Guest mafIAkilla

well,like mang said,this is just to inform you.even if the general public does not pick up on this for many years to come,at least you know.soo.....

Guest Canadiano
Originally posted by Mr. Mang

agreed.

strongly disagree with zesto and smart.

and that's my $0.02, for the nothingness it's worth.

i saw a black skin today...

all the skinheads ive ever known put on this front. they make people believe that they are good people and non-racist. but when you really start hanging out with them you realize that they are all just a different breed of jock macho assholes.

What is the point of wanting to be a "good skinhead" if people think racist? Sure it's not your fault and your trying to change the system and how people think @ 18 or whatever. But just like in another thread. That's like me wearing a Swastika because of what it used to mean. Sure it ain't my fault the Nazi's twisted shit and know that's what it's known for.

Sounds like your boy just wants to feel special because everybody can go look at the skinhead.

Attention?

Guest --zeSto--

If I was to wear bed sheets and a pointy white hat,

people would NOT think I was Casper the Friendly ghost.

(No matter how much I tried to hug them)

Guest jolt7782

Skinheads are so homoerotic. they wear tight ass jeans and suspenders. they go around calling eachother mates and say sussed and use all sorts of old british slang. if you see a skinhead be sure to kick him in the nuts because he deserves it..............

skinheads=nerds who wish they were jocks

Guest MR BOJANGLES

I dont know about the "innocent susprenders' thing...ive had non-racist skins warn me about the laces and suspenders before.

Originally posted by suburbian bum

Vynyl junkie said it.

pretty much summed it up for me too. I've known some great skins...mostly through my brief involvment with ARA...great people, and very dedicated. But skinhead "culture" and the scene as a whole makes me uncomfortable. Especially "traditional skins" who seem to use the no politics thing as an excuse to not have to explain why they associate with boneheads, and right wing asshole skins.

Originally posted by --zeSto--

If I was to wear bed sheets and a pointy white hat,

people would NOT think I was Casper the Friendly ghost.

(No matter how much I tried to hug them)

hahahaha...." Hey.... look! It's casper the friendly ghost! HEY CASPER!!!!!

Archived