Internet Brought-up Writers

KILROE

For sure this has been brought up before but I just wanted to share my 2 cents on it

When I started doing graff I had a VERY small knowlage base. I only knew very little information about local writers. I didn't know what kind of markers to use or what a hand style was or any of that shit. But as I kept going I meet other writers and worked hard to build this knowlage base that I have now(where to rack, good ink, what to do when a cop stops you) and there for I appriciate it so much more. and this knowlage base has pushed me to keep learning and keep writing. It seems there are these kids who are just starting to write and they get on this website and all of this info is presented to them. They can get almost any question they want answerd here. I think they appriciate it less because its so easy to obtain. I think writing is also presented as just this thing that you can go on the internet and learn about in a few days. Its so much less of an underground culture and more like somthing you can buy. I am not talking shit about this website I think its wonderful for people who have been writing for a few years but I am talking shit to toys who come on here and "learn all about it!" and then think they can drop some knowlage on some other writers or think there so smart cause they can make a really good mop.... anyone have anything to add?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hmmmmmmmmm.......

what i learned, i wrote for almost 9 years before i knew a shoe polish was called a mop. we just called em shoe polish's.

i think they should do away with the yard all together...waste of bandwith.

ass far (hahahhah i said ass) as how the internet effects writers, ask mr. seeking, hes grown substantially as a writer since becomming part of the 12oz crew..

but this site rocks for making connections...really convienient. allthough i met someone the good old fashioned way the other day, in person while painting, that was cool, right place, right time...cant beat that.

I agree with you man.

When I was starting to write all I knew was what I learned on myself and what my neighbors knew. We would experiment and what not. You would be lucky to get any new markers worth using. We used to have to go to one of 2 stores in the area and buy some caps. We cleaned them good because it was a hassle to get a hold of a good batch. We would find out about the various yards via word of mouth from meeting up with writers at these stores or other yards and school. We would think we were bad ass if we could get ahold of an issue CanControl the only graff mag at the time. This was before there were a million full size full color glossy graff mags @ Tower records. The only writers I knew of were the ones I saw up with my own eyes or in Spray Can art. Much less some freight writer or bomber from Nebraska. That's why I trip out on all these people that know the scoop on all these writers from around the country. Then they get all weird if you've never heard of the guy.

I do think it is easier to get cheap fame now. I mean one could get up a few times in some chill spot talk pictures post them up on message boards and send them to various sites then bam the fool catches a little fame.

I've started writing in 89-90 and never knew what the hell a German cap was until I seen them online 2 years ago. They never had those

around @ any of the stores I used to go to.

But what are you gonna do?

Something that is inevitable.

There are both positive and negatives from the net.

i had been writing for years before i ever saw a graffiti magazine or video. the www didn't exist. i used to take caps off aerosol products in the store. if you bought them it was from other writers. so i know where your coming from. but what the fuck can be done? nothing. ultimately, toys can get all the knowledge they want on line, but to blow up, they will still need to put in real work and will more or less end up having the same experiences with graffiti that you or i had. so make the best of it.

back in the day we called mops sneakys, cause they were for sneakers.

when i first found out about fat caps, damn i used the same one for a year, cause we couldnt buy them in town yet, well we could shortly after, but we didnt know where top get them. oh well.

I agree.I learned all my tricks from my close buddies, we were kids an thought wewere crazy catchin toy streak tags in alleys. I took years of meeting fools to gain my graff knowledge and styles.Now it seems fool jump in to it and try to go all city day 1.Good for them I guess but some dedication builds character and a well rounded writer

im from a little city that never had grafffiti,ive been writing for 4 yaers an for the first 2 i never heard of a fat cap all we did was cut a hole in the back of the lid an put a pin hole in the front an we use that for a a lil an that was so messy an then we found out you could steal caps off othe types of cans to make it paint thicker an wider an thats what i did till 2 weeks ago i orderd caps, for the 1st time in 4 years i orderd caps.but if it wasent for online my knowlage of graff would be limited.but i do alot on my own allways doin somthing to do with graff.but over all the internet did me well it was like my tranning wheels,an now im the one teaching kids what to do an showing them the way.

Guest donkeydong

i hate that phrase toy

for some reason it gives the unwelcomed feeling of putting yourself above someone that hasnt been in the game as long as you...which i feel is negative outlook..yes people are not as expereinced when getting into the whole enviorment at first but.. why use the word toy..ive been writing for 6 years now and ive only used the word toy when refereing to someone that has either lined me or dissed me ...which alot of people can relate to.. but i just dont see any reason to automaticlly label someone a toy just becasue they havent put the years in..thats just my opionon..

Guest 87centHitMan

There's a huge-ass difference between someone that's just starting out and a toy. I'm all about bringin' kids up and getting new people into the game, as long as they're straight up about it and aren't doing it just so they can make an impression on someone or so they can feel "cool " cause they're a "tagger" now. Kids like that are the true toys. Someone who's just starting out and has a genuine intrest in graff and really wants to get good; those are the kids that I like helping out. Everyone has to start at some point, and they're gonna suck. They just need good inspiration. Fuck these clueless dumbasses that pick up a can and instantly think that they're big shit because they went and painted on their school and then told everyone about it. Those are the ones that ruin it for everyone else.

Guest GEAsusONEnep

Re: hmmmmmmmmm.......

Originally posted by GLASS*ETCH

what i learned, i wrote for almost 9 years before i knew a shoe polish was called a mop.

I was wondering what a mop was.

I agree.I learned all my tricks from my close buddies, we were kids an thought wewere crazy catchin toy streak tags in alleys. I took years of meeting fools to gain my graff knowledge and styles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

those were the best times though. its always more excting coming up when things are still mysterious. once your 25 years old and know everything there is to know its more like a job.

i agree , but no matter how much info they can get of forums and no matter how easy it is to find out all the info, they still have to learn style. no forum or website will ever teach anyone that, so every writer no matter where they research or what forum they go to, they still must learn the practical side for themselves.

all the net does is make it easier to learn the thoery behind graff.

it doesn't make them any better or worse of an artist.

i agree.I spent a few years unable to paint but all I did was draw.By the time I started paintin my styles on paper where bad ass but had to start with simple shit.Practice makes perfect, and youre style only truly evolves with consistant painting

I think my point is more like since its so easy for toys to get the information they don't appriciate it as much. For instance when I finally found out where to get a dimond tip scribe I almost shit my pants I was so happy and I was very carful who I told cause I didn't want the spot to blow up but now kids can just go on the internet and find out and then buy 30 of them and go brag how they got one

i remember all my friends used to call them "tips" but online everyone calls them "caps". we always called them tips ever since the early 90's up till now. I gotta watch what I say or else some of you anal fucktards will start calling me a toy if i don't call them caps.

Yeah,It made my blood boil when some snot nosed cracker who just got into graffiti last year would act all holier than thou cuz I didnt know some fucken irrelevant shit,or cross me out and try to act a thug.I put in some fucken DIRT and years in my love of graffitti.That would be my biggest pet peeve.

i taught myself most all of the basics coming up because i didn't have anyone else to teach me, not only were there no resources to learn from, but none of my friends wrote. there's definately a lot to be said be doing things the hard way, but at the same time i have to think that this age of easy info is a good thing. kids get good faster, so there's a chance they'll get great faster, and the sooner you get great, the higher the chances that you'll get really great. knowing about this and that technique is never going to actually get you over the fence with a bag of paint, but it might make the painting a little better. style's always sold separately.

Originally posted by Pistol

i remember all my friends used to call them "tips" but online everyone calls them "caps". we always called them tips ever since the early 90's up till now. I gotta watch what I say or else some of you anal fucktards will start calling me a toy if i don't call them caps.

i always called them tips...i still do...caps are those worthless pieces of plastic that you pry off with a screwdriver and throw away when you get home.

Guest eessee

good topic... whem i first started the only shit i knew was the stuff i would see on the trains or local writers and the fast that i didnt even know what it said... i was brought up as a loaner and i learned everything on my own... i even made myself look like an ass for asking mad dumb questions when i started like "what was a mop" i thought it was an actuall house mop and thought that heads would buy paint and dunk and then use it... until i got mad bagged on but hey thats how i know and shit just asking and getting to know the lifestyle... all the heads around my way would trip cuz they would be like what the fuck does this kid want or why does he care but i love the fact that there is always one kid around the way who helped a head out by giving me some old ass mags that were homemade and i just went out there and got the job done.... but there are plenty of heads getting talented faster bcuz of resources they have always been there you just dont really think about them until the last minute but i can see the heads who bite shit off the net and who doesn't but hey everybody doing they thang...:D

Guest SayOne

man i remember when m y boi explained to me what ny fat thins and all that shit was..he gave me my first paint marker and introduced me to madd heads, when i sztarted i didnt have no internet so you had to learn everything by trial and error ..i miss those days

Follow up to my "Internet Brought-up Writers" Post

I have been thinking a lot more about my statement on my last post...In the area where I live there is graff but not tons and tons of graff. Lets just say there is a scean but its not totally killed like major cities. The reason for this is because there are very few writers that live around here maybe 10 at the most. There are probably many reasons for this but I think on of them is that it is kind of hard to get into graff unless there is a over whelming scean cause most toys don't have much to motivate them. So I think if the internet is motivating kids to do more graff and use more damaging matterials then its bringing up more writers that might have fell off if they didn't have 12oz so I guess that anything that supports toys to keep going is good even if it feels like cheating. Any thoughts??

well ur right. i live in an area where everycorner has graff its an everydau thing. if you live in an area where there is little to no graff, you might need the internet to help bring you up and keep you going, to learn and develop your style. the computer can be a very influencial way of getting it started in places where graffiti is no where to be found. although the toys will take the word influencial and put that into bitting styles is ok, so it can also be a negativly influencial thing. but over all the internet is a good way for people to learn. i was brought up not having a computer so for me i had to learn and i really only knew about word of mouth and actually seeing kids up and i respected what they did a lot more when it was like that. know you can just look shit up online and get anywriter you want. and when you see al there stuff at oince you dont really apreatiate their shit as much. i think the internet is good and bad. :lick: :mexican:

Archived