Suburban Writers??

Guest Dr. Doom

so if you live in the city, painting mom an pop shops is ok?

you and i both know that the city were discussing is unlike any other city in the country, and it has its own special sort of rules. IMO, theres no reason to paint mom an pops regardless, because there are so many other options available. but thats just me...

and i wouldnt say that simply oving into a new city, does not make it 'yours'. obviously thats highly arguable, but i just dont think moving into the city on a thursday, makes the world any different than living in the suburbs wednesday night.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

suburb-an outlying part of a city or town, a smaller community adjacent to or within commuting distance of a city

up in the north east corridor, the megalopolis between boston and dc, i don't quite see this issue of urban vs suburban that important. the whole area is dotted with defunct mill building, railroad tracks ( passenger and freight, abandonded and active), and down and out small cities and towns in various degrees of decay that breed writers like flies.

Industrial sprawl doesn't recognize city borders, and a good deal of the towns you probably think of as suburban probably contain the same elements that you think exist exclusively in cities. for example, central falls is a suburb of providence,a half assed minor city in itself, but for a long stretch of time c.f. had more coke per capita then any where else in the country.go to the old mining towns of pennsylvania, the former industrial space and abandoned lots of connecticut, or the outlying areas of boston and you'll see similar examples. not that crime statistics or poverty rates are any evidence of good graffiti, but it puts a dent in the arguement that suburbs are soft or lacking or street cred.

people like to believe suburbs are made up of people who make enough money to get out of the big dirty city and build a nice home with a white picket fence, but thats only have the story. in the north east, suburbs are also where people who can't afford to live in the city go, usually towns which used to be booming but since the fifties have been steadily declining in prestige and in quality of life.

i know i strayed a little from the initial point of this post, but i think people should know what they are talking about before knocking or generalizing anything. if this discussion is about class, race, or money, thats another arguement.

Guest L.RonHubbard

ill break it down like thsi....

ok there was a black man a white man and a chinese man, the black man of course he was poor, the white man...he was rich, and the chinese man he owned a store.

ok well the black man lived on BEAT STREET, the white man lived on WALL STREET, and at the chinese man's store is where they all meet. Not really on the good foot cause the white man kept steppin on the black mans toes,...and in his shoes there was wholes but the white man DIDNT CARE SHIT, he didnt have to wear it, the scraps that he had he got from his parents with his tight ass, woulda been poor white trash, but anyways everyday the black man would axe for spare change, and at him the white man would stare strange. Until the black man got fed up cause wasnt no body feeding him and feeding him, to0k red by his neck and started beating him and beating him. THe chinese man got noid and broke out like a peon. Now the black man owns da store and the name of it is leaons.

Originally posted by seeking

so paying a couple hundred dollars a year in city taxes makes it ok to do thousands of dollars in damage?

dont get me wrong, i feel you on having a concience, i just dont understand how paying city taxes makes it any different. you're still doing far more damage than you're repairing....

applying paint, ink or enamel to a surface does not, technically damage anything, there for it is not really imoral. It is only damage if you repair it. i never said paying taxes made it ok to do "damage", it just makes you a part of the community.

hash,

playing the stereotype that the white kid in the mustang is driving daddy's car is no different than saying the black guy in the mustang is a drug dealer. if one is true, than they're both true.

biting stupid little lyrics to try and prove some nonsense point only delutes your whole argument further.

beetnik, who im assuming is hash as well,

it costs money to paint over, sandblast, or remove paint. dont give me that bullshit. either make no apologies, or dont even try.

to quote some lyrics so perhaps you'll understand

'pussy footing around will get you no where"

even if we were to stop graffiti.. just for the tax payers it would totally defeat the purpose of what we do... well for me anyway.. i do it for myself.. to be honest i really dont care what happens to other people... for the same reason.. they wouldnt care what happens to me.. if you think about it graffiti is the least of the problems people havta deal with.. it dont hurt no one... and its not our fault the city fuss's over it... fuck them.. people are getting killed by gangs, drugs are always being sold, people are doing way more to the city then just graffiti.. we just add to the problems... but actually we dont.. if they would just leve it alone.. then it wouldnt be a problem.. like i said it doest hurt any one.. nor does it change the physical structure of what ever it is that we paint... so just QUIT YOUR FUCKING WHINNING... either your with us.. or aganist us... and it doesnt matter where the fuck your from.. graffiti is graffiti..... !!!!!!

Guest L.RonHubbard
Originally posted by seeking

hash,

playing the stereotype that the white kid in the mustang is driving daddy's car is no different than saying the black guy in the mustang is a drug dealer. if one is true, than they're both true.

biting stupid little lyrics to try and prove some nonsense point only delutes your whole argument further.

beetnik, who im assuming is hash as well,

it costs money to paint over, sandblast, or remove paint. dont give me that bullshit. either make no apologies, or dont even try.

to quote some lyrics so perhaps you'll understand

'pussy footing around will get you no where"

seek dog...

chill out there hombre. I was just quoting common because i was listening to it and it reminded me of good times. I didnt really post it hoping it would spur some sort of epiphany or anything, it was just kinda spur of the moment while reading responses. And what did that mustang comment have to do with anything?? oh yea...im not beetnik, never was and dont even know the fellow. aiiight chill.

ill break it down like thsi....

ok there was a black man a white man and a chinese man, the black man of course he was poor, the white man...he was rich, and the chinese man he owned a store.

ok well the black man lived on BEAT STREET, the white man lived on WALL STREET, and at the chinese man's store is where they all meet. Not really on the good foot cause the white man kept steppin on the black mans toes,...and in his shoes there was wholes but the white man DIDNT CARE SHIT, he didnt have to wear it, the scraps that he had he got from his parents with his tight ass, woulda been poor white trash, but anyways everyday the black man would axe for spare change, and at him the white man would stare strange. Until the black man got fed up cause wasnt no body feeding him and feeding him, to0k red by his neck and started beating him and beating him. THe chinese man got noid and broke out like a peon. Now the black man owns da store and the name of it is leaons.

thats a bizarre view on race relations. kinda funny i guess:o

i dunno about all this.... i live in military housing... and everything around is private property.. there aren't many places to paint outside of it.. so you go to places with more spots... i'm not out for fame or anything.. i don't really write, i'm mainly a stencil nerd... and if i do paint, it's clouds or sheep or some other kinda cartoon shit... but anyway.. to me, it's just a matter of having a place to paint.. you know?

and sometimes it gets boring painting the same old shit all the time... you might want to try a new setting... like around here... you can't really crawl up on buildings and do ninja techniques on anything... but if you go out to somewhere like providence, there's all kinds of buildings to jump up on... ladders to climb.. spaces to crawl through.. all kinds of old factories and shit to paint... and i have respect for the writers that live in providence... i don't go around painting over their work or covering entire walls that could be covered with something better... but i could understand why they wouldn't want anybody else painting their spots... because i have seen some awesome pieces covered up with shitty anarchy signs or sloppy ass handwriting and other kinds of bullshit... but anyway.. being able to go out to someplace new and discover new shit to paint is an awesome experience for someone who doesn't really live in a good place to paint... and don't even start that well fed, well paid shit with me... i eat ramen and drink kool-aid too.... shit..

Guest I'm back!!
Originally posted by chester copperpot

from what ive seen around the country, it seems that only citys with really old graffiti scenes <early 80's, 70's, whatever> really produce a decent ammount of innercity writers. in places like the midwest, northwest, etc. it seems like a lot of the "pioneers" were mainly decently well off hiphop 4-element type guys, so its been passed down more in the wealthier areas/highschools than in the poorer areas. most of the kids that have the time/luxury to get really good at something that doesnt pay off have got to be in a cool money situation growing up.

also cars for racking/etc. cant be overlooked.

it could be easily argued that graffiti's currently dominated by rich kids, especially now that traveling and magazinefame are manditory to be a heavy hitter.

Aren't you one of them?

Not a hiphop 4 element guy, but a well off kid with rich folks?:confused:

haha...

I find it really odd that people are bitching about suburban writers when the fact is that most writers are young white males from the suburbs. This includes the toys and even some of your most reppin' folks.

In Philly especially, you've got cats who are on suburbs borderlining North and West Philly... who just walk write down the street and are immediately in the city. Some of Philly's most wanted grew up in the suburbs. They may not have been picket fenced single homes, but they were the suburbs nevertheless.

On the other hand, you do got those wack writers from $400,000 households in West Chester, PA who learned their hand and piecing from copying outlines and sketching in between classes at the Philadelphia Art Institute.

• 1 month later...

what about this perspective? I grew up on the south side in STL and then moved to the burbs. Growing up I always noticed the flood wall which was about seven blocks from my house but it was not until I moved out to the county were I had a wall under hwy 40 in my backyard that I started writing. Expand this sub culture wherever you go. baseline you are doing this for yourself so who gives a fuck where the wall is. BOMB SHIT WHEREVER AND WHENEVER THE URGE COMES ALONG. keep it urban but open your eyes.:king:

Guest fourzeroone

i live in the deep woods during the summer, like 2 hours from the nearest small city, and in the winter, fall and spring im in halifax,and i dont think it matters. i know writers that have been born and raised central, and are fisher price and i know kids that have been raised in the rocks and are top crown in cities worldwide. it doesnt really matter.seriously.

i get alot of shit about living in the burbs

people who are like veks like to say shit about it and personally i rather living in the burbs.easy access to everything and easy as hell to steal things,and i guess what gets me is that there are kids in the city because there parents pay for them,and that is cool.but i pay for everything i have and paint because i am addicted to doing it .addicted to stealing paint and everything else.i could live in the city but i have a family and dont really find it necassary to live out there.so whatever i live in the burbs but i put in work city.plain and simple i dont do graffiti anymore for fun.i do it because i have to.

You can't just say people from "the suburbs" are a certain way. Where I live (near Philly), that could mean many things. Like herbalife said, parts of the suburbs here are 2 minutes away from the city and are crowded areas. You move further away and it becomes less dense. And you can keep gowing until you see farms and cows and shit. I live in the suburbs and paint because I love it. I work to pay for everything I have. Suburbs does not = money. I'm sick of this shit like "you're not from the city, you don't have graffiti in your blood" That's a bunch of shit. If you want to bomb, bomb. It's all fucking walls anyway. I think people care waaaay to much about what other people are doing. Making all these generalizations and forming opinions. Who gives a shit. You just gotta do your own thing. Can't waste time worrying about everyone else. does it really matter?

Archived