books and authors

Guest professor poopatronic

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest serpent of the light

i didn't see it listed, but for all ya art fags w/ misunderstanding families:

my name is asher lev by chaim potok. its pretty fucking good.

lately i've been reading more spiritual stuff than novels.

and a classic, short as hell, but goddamn most inspiring book i've ever touched: jonathon livingston seagull.

i was actually considering reading the bible this summer... but i jsut read a shit load of middle english books.. too many allusions for me, im bored.

some chick just recommended a book called midnight dreams, or something similare by raul shaleem? (not sure).... it's supposedly fantasy view on indian and pakistani history.

i was also thinking about pickin up clowork orange (never saw the movie)

it's like clockwork orange lemonade.

watt by samuel beckett.

the night world and the word night by franz wright.. completely amazing. debunked cummings and rilke to become my favorite poet pretty much right after i finished it. do yourself a favor: go buy it and read it.. it's a small book.. it'll set you back about twelve bucks, and for what you get i think that's a bargain.

Guest Ted Wakowski

You should read this book about a guy who has radishes for legs. It's all about his life and how he lives with radish-legs, which is an interesting topic when you really think about it.

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by Sonik3000

if you dig hemingway, move on to faulkner.

Word, I read some fuckin' shit by William Faulkner (if that's the Faulkner you're refering to) and it was pretty fucking dope, and that's no fucking bullshit either.

reading sappho will get you precisely the wrong kind of girls. if you want to make the barnes and noble cafe make, henry james is a better bet. also have on the table, but do not read, some kaka by kingsolver, morrison, welty, or wharton. if you actually have to stoop to reading a female author, go for flannery o'connor's short stories. if nothing else, they're short.

sonik i have agreed with most everything you have said, but naysaying sappho just because she was female is like cutting off your dick to spite your sack. plus, she was a lesbian, so it will get you just the right type of girls: the adventurous kind. i would rather be flayed alive than read another pompous self serving hunk of shit by toni morrison that self righteous cunt. the bluest eye should have been called the biggest turd because it was terrible. if you want to picks up chicks in barnes and noble you should be reading zora neale hurston or betty freedan or some shit like that, or anna karanina, dumb bitches seem to like that book. or a philosopher that most people know, like nietsche, or the best is french poetry. although i've never picked up a girl in b+n or anywhere for that matter. conclusion, sappho is good, so don't snooze. i would be interested to hear your reasoning on this one though, other than the female card.

good topic

vonnegut- up to a few weeks ago I hadn't read shit by him. I finished 'sirens of titan' (decent book, but not as much so as I was expecting) in about two days and I'm currently 100 pages into SlaughterHouse 5-----< definitely feeling it

Im also reading a book about the spanish civil war called "The spanish civil war" ,not exactly the kind of book that has you dancing in suspense but i feel there is much to be learned from that event in history.

And if any of you out there have qualms over the 'war on terrorism' being staged by and for the same clowns who invented the 'war on drugs' I'd have to recomend chomsky.

Originally posted by Xeroshoes

Isaac Asimov - I, Robot

hell fukin yeah,

other good books include:

Eaters of the Dead - Micheal Crichton

Jurassic Park - Micheal Crichton -better than the movie

Jurassic park II -Micheal Cruchton -ditto

Animal farm- George Orwell

Brave ne world - Aldous Huxley

Lord of the flies-william golding- awesome book

Hobbit 'n' Lord of the rings- J.R.R. Tolkien (awesome awesome awesome)

To kill a mocking bird-harper lee- cool ass book

Hitchhikers guide to the universe- best damn book ever

you read sappho, and it just screams "non-gay man slave available for consumption by young heartbreakers of itinerant sexuality." That means you getting laid ain't gonna happen, but a just-friendship full of frustration just might. go for rumi instead; erotic, exotic, and most important, straight.

i mentioned that pile of femmy kaka because that's some of what gets the girls. don't read it, but have read it - got it?

french poetry is tricky, because you run the risk of either picking up a girl who can read the original french, or worse still, an actual french girl, which will put you on an endless cycle of reading ever more french lit in order to satisfy her, which as a matter of national pride will never happen. the girls do dig rimbaud however.

bottom line for the barnes and nobles cafe make, go for a book of rumi poems, sitting on top of your best blackbook, while reading ulysses with a decent annotation nearby. you'll appear smart, resourceful, artistic, sensitive, and horny.

literature is a big fucking joke, don't you all see that?

sonik3000.

Originally posted by Sonik3000

reading sappho will get you precisely the wrong kind of girls.

I disagree. If she is actually bright enought to know who Sappho is, you are probably on to a winner

anyway, who the fuck reads to impress the girls? How devoid of other charms would you have to be in order to need books as mate-bait?

jesus christ, i wish i knew any girls who were even into literature in the first place. do girls really approach you at cafes because of what books you have on the table? wow, maybe the world can be is a better place than i thought.

Originally posted by Vanity

or a much more superficial one... i etch cafe windows to piss them sluts off.

i'd rather people judge me by what i read than what kind of car i'm driving or how much money i have. although it is still pretty silly now that i think of it.

yeah, but then you get like sonik and start assuming what kind of books will get you what kinda girls and end up changing for others.

but im wierd like that... i refuse to advertise the type of person i am.. the best i can anyway.

it's along the same vein as wearing band tshirts and stuff.

still sluts.

for what its worth

my two cents...books i read semi recently or reread

dune: frank herbert...even if it is sci fi....but smart author...and reallly creative... its entertaining and touches on alot of subjects(the series is great but after book three it got far fetched still i like)

cycle of the werewolf:certainly not a literary classic, but fun to read plus its illustrated by bernie wrightson (horror artist and some comics) and from 1989 its kinda cool

and seriously not jumping on the patriotism bandwagon mark bowden is an awesome writer (black hawk down, killing pablo) some military history is interesting especially when looked at from both sides.

lastly: ransom the untold story of international kidnapping by ann auerbach, really fucking good good read and damn enlightening

its not chaucer or mark twain..but hey..:D

• 2 months later...

bump. i started this wicked long ago but it contains alot of good information. i have since read a bit of all the authors sonik recommended, and ,well, i recommend them too.

ps if you haven't read the grapes of wrath, do so. now. bitch.

Guest chicken bone

I've recommended this before I think, but everyone should read

V. by Thomas Pynchon

Has anyone ever read this before? The book is so surreal (I just got done reading it a second time after a period of one year) and brimming with density. Its kind of weird though, because when I think back on the book its like the characters become a part of my personal memory, and I think back on shit and I remember feelings and such. Strange. This is the kind of book where you can read it once a year and still find tons of new shit you never saw before, and you can make hundreds of new connections each time.

I also just read (for the second time, har har)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

Great book.

back on the subject of picking up girls in barnes and noble, what's the point of actually sitting down and reading there anyways? i don't think i've ever bothered reading in public, i'm too easily distracted and it seems like i'd just be trying to show off or something stupid like that. i still can't even imagine actually getting chicks that way. maybe i should try it sometime.

i went from sartre to camus..

they express two different types of existentialism..

if your doing sartre i would do his literature to philosophy

and camus would be philosophy to literature

right now, i went out and bought The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami..looks good..i wanna go buy The Rebel by Camus..library is a pain ..pages gone all the fucking time..half price books will never have it..going to borders i have to pay 13 dollars for a copy that has bent pages and torn.. uh no..

if you want some difficult literature.. Nabokov is your man..

Guest chicken bone

I think The Rebel is the same as The Stranger by Camus. If you are intending on buying the novel cheers to you, because The Stranger is the most powerful book i've ever read. I recommend it!

Archived