last call - asylum trips (any time)

Mr. Mang

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

here is a little cheap write up i did about it. there is still a LOT more that is needed to be explored.

I first went to the Lakeland Mental Institution with my girlfriend's dad around winter 2001. He said he knew of some good abandoned/creepy places for me to take pictures (my favorite), so of course I was definitely up for it.

From what I my girlfriend's dad told me the whole building was for mental patients in the Camden County area. He used to work a summer job there years and years ago doing a variety of things. The only thing he really remembers is taking out the trash and noticing all kinds of syringes, needles, and viles of medicine - of course mostly to keep the patients doped up in another world so they wouldn't cause any problems. I read in the Weird NJ magazine that two kids got stabbed there by a homeless man (and blood stains were still there), but you can't believe everything you read.

Our trip there was pretty interesting. Right near where we entered there were dozens of papers about some of the patients and the medications they took. Due to the fact that it was dark and the fear we might get caught by the cops I reluctantly chose not to take anything with me. The walk to the stairwell was through a dark hallway. Neither of us had flashlights, so I couldn't tell you what was in that hallway. Maybe next time.

Finally we entered the main lobby (for lack of a better word). It was still in decent shape. This was the dome structure that I had seen outside before on my way in. From what I remember there were two wings to the place, and each of them had a somewhat heavy door. My girlfriend's dad said it was for safety reasons. There would be an employee waiting outside just in case someone tried to break free.

I don't remember the rest of the trip that well. We looked at a few of the rooms and left. We figured that it was all the same and pointless of looking around again.

In late April (2002) I went again with a friend. Since it was just two of us (without any flashlights again...) and no sense of direction you can guess that we didn't want to stay long. The place has at least two wings with 6 main floors that all look exactly identical. Every floor has a recreation room as well as a small nurse's station. This time we had to enter from a second story window via the first story roof. The window led to the bathroom attatched to the nurse's station. Although it was about 12:30 in the afternoon the whole building was pretty dark and uninviting. After looking around the corner and listening for inhabitants we made our way to the file room across the hallway. Nothing in there but stacks of computer paper with information that didn't make any sense to me. I took pictures in the hallway for a minute and decided we should probably speed up our visit.

As we made our way up to the roof we kept on hearing noises that sounded like a car was pulling around back where we were parked. Every few seconds we'd have to stop because of noises like glass being stepped on or birds. The trip to the roof was worth it though. Not only did we make it up safely with a nice view, we also found a room at the top of the stairs. It was something like a pottery room because there were dozens plaster molds on a shelf of boring things like pinecones and leaves. There was even a kiln in the room that looked like it was in good condition. Who knows what might have been stored inside though.

I took a few pictures of the kiln room as well as off of the roof and we decided to make our way back downstairs. We knew we needed to get to the second floor to get out of there, but everything looked the same. Most of the floor numbers were hard to read in the darkness. Everything looked familiar, but at the same time not quite right. We unknowingly ended up on the first floor. As we headed quickly for the nurse's station window we heard glass breaking on the ground like somebody was walking around closeby. We tried to quietly make our way back to the stairwell, but since everything was dark and almost identical it took us a minute (which was longer than we wanted to wait).

After coming home I decided to look around on the internet to see if I could find any information on Lakeland (before or after it closed). I had no luck, though, but did find a geocities-type site that had a few pictures of some guy's visit there with some friends (url at: http://www.wierdtravels.50megs.com/page17.html). As you can see on the page the 6th floor had a bed with a big blood stain and there was blood on the floor in that room. After showing the picture to a bunch of people we all came to the conclusion that a person probably didn't die there. The blood splattered on the ground like it was dropped from something like a bucket. Dorky teenage kids probably just got some blood somewhere and tried to make it look like the scene of some murder. The blood may not be real at all though. Thankfully my visit that day passed up the 6th floor.

I just made a similar trip in Kalamazoo MI. I was visiting on of my friends at college there and we went to a crazy abadoned insane asylum. All the windows had been broken and there was writing on most of the walls. We went into one room and suddenly the door slammed shut behind us (the wind) it was kind of scary, but not as scary as when we realized that it was going to open again from the side we were on. We had to climb out of the window from about four stories up and walk around to another room, in the fucking rain. It was straight out of a horror flick with the lightning and thunder. In the basement we found the morge, it didn't help that I didn't have a flashlight.

one of the guys I was with is going to film school and he had a full ninja get up, one of the funniest things I've ever seen was him hanging from the elevator doors upside, with his sword stuck between them. I was the only one flashlight-less because I was carrying the crowbars. I thought I was going to fall down the elevator shaft.

Guest willy.wonka

nevermind..i would have edited,but this jedi knight is drunk as fuck...

good morining...

Archived