COMPUTER QUESTION

bemflix

i'm a retard when it comes to computers. i was wondering if someone could me out.

I work on a PC........... Everyone says how great macs are. and after speaking to someone i trust i went out and bought a mac.

i will be using my mac for video editing and graffix. and the pc for web related things..

here is my question: can i network the two so i can use the graffix i make on the mac for websites i'll be making with the pc????

c'mon 12oz people help a mildly retarded brother out

bem

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yes, you need a router (im pretty sure thats what its called....it costs like around $70.00 or so for a basic router) to network the computers together.....the router will let make the 2 computers act like one...you'll be able to share all your files. A simlper way to link the 2 comps might be just to use PC Zip disks (macs can read both PC & Mac Zips, but PCs can only read PC Zips).

umm, somebody help me out if I gave any incorrect info.

No you dont need a router. A router is made to traffic data to and from individual (generally internal and external) networks. What you need is an ethernet hub, unless you plan to also have both computers online at the same time, which you didnt mention (if so look into a Cable/DSL router like the ones by Linksys or Netgear which also have 4 and 8 port ehternet hubs built in). Macs pretty much all have Network cards, but you'll have to double check the PC. It'll also probably require some networking software to set up a cross platform peer to peer network (a task far easier if you had a third computer to act as a server), or you can try and figure out personal web sharing and do it all via TCP/IP and circumvent all the bullshit. All in all it's a pretty tall order and with little experience, your going to have a hell of a time.

I'd suggest doing what the other person said... Buy a zip drive for each of the computers and swap information via discs. A CDRW burner is another good solution since the dics you make can be transferred to virtually any computer without having to drag your zip drive around. You should be able to pick up either fairly easily and cheaply on www.ebay.com.

the protocol really doesnt matter...you can install any protocol, and as long as the other computer has the same protocol they should be able to share data. raven has it down to the science, but in all respects, i find that networking computers is cake if you know what youre doing...of course if you have an NT server it gets a little more complicated, but chances are you dont run NT and dont have a seperate machine to serve as a server...you can network across platforms, but i tend to only work with networking PC's....its much easier with just one type of system...it is possible to share data between macs and pcs through a network though,for your info...but you have to be sure the data youre going to use is cross compatible between platforms...for standard purposes most common files used for multimedia purposes are cross campatible, but if you wanted to run tar files off linux/unix systems on a pc or mac thats a different story....to network two computers you will need: a 10/100baset hub with enough ports to host as many connections/computers as you need, and each computer on the network will need to have a 10/100baset ethernet card...i wouldnt worry about the 10/100 baset, it just a number that describes how fast data is transfered across the network, and most cards and hubs now adays support both 10baset and 100baset connections....a router will be needed if you want to share a broadband connection between any of the computers you decide to put on the network...with windows machines you simply install the net card, load the drivers, and go into your network properties under control panel...in there you will have to install tcp/ip protocol, which is included with windows. do this to all of your windows 95/98/me machines. i find it easier with windows xp because it is all plug and play, you dont have to tool with any settings, at least i didnt have to. connect a cat5 ethernet cable with an rj-45 connector to your netcard on all your computers that you are planning to network and plug them into your hub afterwards. if you are using a router plug it in the last port of your hub...i use a linksys hub and router so the hub has a special port just for the router...plug your cable/dsl modem into the wan port of your router...as far as setting up a router, that varies from brand to brand, and the settings in your router depends on your bsp, i luckly dont have to tinker too much with my router since it automaticly detects the internet connection and retrieves the ip address for me...with other routers and bsps you may have to input certain values into your routers memory so it will be able to send and recieve data through your broadband connection. i dont know shit about macs....so i cant help you there....i used to volunteer in a hospital with their computer department and they taught me all this shit about networks and computer repair...basic networking is not hard at all, pick up a dummies book and read it if you gotta, larger networks are a bit more complicated, but you probably wont have to worry about that since youre only planning to network 2 computers...i dont really know anything about networking across differnt platforms though, i mostly work with windows machines...you might need to install different protocols if networking across platforms, however in the hospital they simply installed the tcp/ip protocol, but note they did have 6 or 7 computers running nt and acting as servers for the entire network...it would probably much easier to just go with the zip disk...i used to use my network alot to share data between my two machines, and to share a printer, but i got two printers now, and i mainly work on just one system now, so all i really use the network for is sharing a broadband connection...networks arent really great for home use other than to share a broadband connection and printer....infact the main purpose for the hospital's network was to share their t3 connection and to share printers and to access their email servers which happened to be sun systems, using telnet....

damn thanks guys for all the feed back

Originally posted by rip

if u bought a g4 mac for graffix. if u didnt then your assed out.

i actually got the imac with a g4 processor

shit is bangin i must say. i think i'm gonna do the zip drive idea. it seems the cheapest way to go.

again thanks fellas

bem

Archived