Green Thumbs!

dai

Yes, 'heads...it's about that time! It's my first attempt at growing indoors (tomatoes, duh!) and I was just curious if anyone experienced could tell me if I had a good set up? I have a 10 gallon terrarium, lined with tin foil and 1 insulator board. Above, I have a 65 watt Grow Bulb and a 15 watt full spectrum incandescent bulb. I kept the lamps on for an hour last night and the temperature stayed between 88-92 deg. I'm using Miracle Gro potting soil (lightly fertilized) and i'm germinating my seeds (tomatoes!) for 3 days in a wet paper towel in a dark spot. What chemicals should I use, any particular brands or anything? I know I need lots of nitrogen. Just give me some tips, anything will help. Thanks!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Bat Guano

Bat Guano is the secret ingredient to really plentiful plants and tomatoes full of flavor. Go to any nursery and get a box of dried bat guano. Then put a couple of teaspoons in an empty milk jug, fill with hot water, and let sit at least 24 hours. Voila...Guano Tea. Use this to water your plants. You will have kick ass tomatoes without all the harsh effects of chemical fertilizer.

Guest Stoney Blaze

you're better off with a soilless hydroponic system. However, I've had tomatoes grown in a similar setup as yours and they were'nt half bad.

Make sure to give them less light during their ripening stage.

Guest Stoney Blaze

Re: Bat Guano

Originally posted by Ken E. Bus

Bat Guano is the secret ingredient to really plentiful plants and tomatoes full of flavor. Go to any nursery and get a box of dried bat guano. Then put a couple of teaspoons in an empty milk jug, fill with hot water, and let sit at least 24 hours. Voila...Guano Tea. Use this to water your plants. You will have kick ass tomatoes without all the harsh effects of chemical fertilizer.

good idea.

Guest willy.wonka

sing to your plants...talk to them...ask them, what they want....then you will know.

dont tell anybody about them...

i have a magical green thumb...i just want to grow a garden of different plants and trees and flowers...something to ease my mind...marijuana is a nice one too..."such a pretty plant"...i quote that off this old lady that taught in a mental hospital...

oh get little spiders to make a home off your plant...gets those ugly mites off and other bugs that might think to eat your tomato.or boric acid...dont spray your plant with it...get a paper towel and just let the fumes kill the mites...i hate those things...

oh and when you have time....mix fish guts in the soil....

grow some fingernails..never cut with tools...pinch,pinch...every other sprout...also get a bunsai plant to understand on how to manicure it...think of all the tomatoes you can get off of one branch..

shit bitch...buy a book...thats what i did.

helped me out on so many things...

Ok first off, you need some better soil, and a 3-5 gallon pot for each plant. Get your pots andmake sure they have drainage holes...then fill the bucket up with some nice organic soil, you can buy your own organic soil becaus I wouldnt suggest making your own soil on your first grow. So get the pots filled with your soil(cheap walmart organics is fine, and cheap) But blood and bone meal and bat guano or worm castings are great for conditioning your soil.

Next you need some new lights man, 80 watts of that lighting will get you like 5 grams of bud and i'm not joking...you need atleast 75-150 watts to get some good yeild. Now you can go all out and buy HPS(high pressure sodium) or MH(metal halide) lights, those work best for growing your plants. But if you dont want to spend money, you can buy some cool white florescents or compact floro's...those will do, but you wont pack on as much bud.

Dont worry about fertilizing until they go into the flowering stage, then I suggest using organic ferts like fish emulsion.

I'm not sure how much plants your trying to grow here, but let me know so I can see whats going on here. Expect half of your seedlings to be male, so unless you plan on pollinating your females pull these fuckers up.

Now you might want to purchase an oscilating fan to circulate the air around the plants, it helps a lot and keeps that temp. down...you also try to get some reflective material so you save money by not wasting any light. Shiny white posterboard is fine...or foil. But white is better.

This should have you on your way to have a nice set-up...

Now i'm not gonna explain anything else about growing, you may have your set up but you need to learn some stuff about the plants! Buy a book if you want like willy said, anything by Ed Rosenthal is great. Try www.overgrow.com and look at the FAQ or go to the forums, its a great site..you'll get tons of help, also look in the indoor gardening section for the "The Penguin" or "BOG"s indoor growing methods, these guys know their stuff...so get to reading!

Guest willy.wonka

yeah i know....sad to say...its just not my time....i would like to but..i dont really have the energy to be growin tomatoes....

how do you get rid of them anyways?i hate those things....

outdoors is the best though.i only grew indoors a couple of times and didnt really get the full effect as outdoors....

i had a problem with white flies here in LA.

I tried using a mixture of chili powder and water. I heard that was supposed to deter those bastards. the plants were gone before I could see the results.

my parents had a problem with tomatoes.:o

There's some kind of bug that eats the spider mites...dont know what its called because i've never had a problem with them, but just do a search, its some sort of bug. Never heard of any problems with white flies before...you can also use a diluted dishwasher soap spray...just brush it on the leaves, or make sure you get it on the leaves and the leaves only, dont get it in the soil or buds. I dont trust that soap thing though so i'd go with the chili powder but you said that didnt work so I have no clue. overgrow the goverment...with tomatoes!

i think i'm going to try bat guano, seeing as this is nitrogen efficient. and i'm just keeping my plants indoors, until the stalks get sturdy enough to handle wind and rain...then they're going in the soil. i've got a nice spot for them, where there's healthy soil, plenty of sun, and plenty of protection (snipers, landmines, etc) and shrubbery to block them from nosey porkers (fresh tomatos can drive a man mad!). i'll keep you guys informed, and sooner or later i'll be posting flicks of my babys. i'm also getting some clones from some very pretty, potent plants. for now, im going to go cure this blueballs problem...

Archived