New Non Phixion

Guest Ted Wakowski

Guest Ted Wakowski

Now here's one that sucks.

Almost every song is identical; they babble about every drug on the planet, spit hollow threats at the government, praise themselves for being womanizers, ramble on about futuristic space machines and hurl generic descriptions of every way humanly possible to kill or maim someone. If that's not enough they manage to dis both the CIA and religion at least 57 times throughout the album without ever really explaining WHY. I've had more fun taking painful shits than listening to this record, which might be comparable to a bunch of angry guerillas sucking their own dicks and throwing up gang signs.

The production's OK, nothing special. Black Helicopters has a dope beat but I've heard it a bunch of times already. Boring garbage all around.

Is anyone actually entertained by this shit?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

that was an amusing review ted, i haven't heard it, but eventually i probably will whether or like it or not! either way you're probably right because even though i dislike religion and certain areas of the american government, they are pretty generic targets (along with women)

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by metallix

thats just how you perceived it. someone else might have a differen't opinion..

Definitely true.

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by MARLBORO RED

i dislike religion and certain areas of the american government, they are pretty generic targets (along with women)

I guess what kind of irked me was how they didn't come with any support for their criticism. I think it's cool to take a stance against corruption, it just seems wack when there's no backup to the assault.

There's a cut called "the CIA's still trying kill me" that might have been real entertaining if they'd dropped some serious knowledge.

thats just how you perceived it. someone else might have a differen't opinion..

i'm sorry, but why do you say things like that? don't you think anybody who's even a little bit intelligent knows that everyone has different perceptions/opinions... you don't need to clarify that for us buddy!

this album is no different from what non phixion has released before- its a good album to me for what it is... what did you expect when you went to buy a non phixion album? something saying "lets grow plants and trees and run in the forest together"? its obvious by the many singles that they dropped before that cocaine would be mentioned every song, that one of them would say shit about how the governments fucked up, how they like fucking people up etc....

the production on many tracks is good- i can think of maybe 3 betas i dont like...which is pretty impressive to me..

this album is far from classic, but its good for what it is.

Yeah I was expecting more, maybe I shouldn’t of. Probably because 'Black helicopters' and 'I shot regan' are to sum up; better than any of the new tracks. To rub salt to the wound they’re not even on the new album! Boooooo.

I agree with what Ted was saying about the content, its nothing that hasn’t been said a million times, which is fair enough if you pull it off in a different style, be a bit quirky with it or whatever, but they don't. It seems very hate filled without any explanation of direction and this is what makes it boring. I would rather listen to an old Paris track if I wanted pure hate!

The Necro production is hot, there are some really nice head nodding beats. The NY style rapping adds to the professional production and flow; Some of it is quite amusing, but a lot of the time it's just tedious like most hiphop at the moment. If you were thinking of buying this, my advice is that you’re better off getting the new Necro album, he pulls this sort of style off much better and is more humorous with it.

bro i loved the album, well most of it

and yea they do give reasons why they target it...

they gave reason in earlier songs that they made....

and i read an interview and one of the questions was why they target that shit, and they explain..i forget it tho i havent readi n a while i try to find the magazine

its just like listening to jayz today and not knowing his other songs and wondering why he disses nas

but for non phixion, the flow is sick..and non of the beats are chopped, they came off well in my opinion, well i was dissapointed with some of the tracks, but thats what the fastforward button is for

Guest Ted Wakowski
what did you expect when you went to buy a non phixion album? something saying "lets grow plants and trees and run in the forest together"? its obvious by the many singles that they dropped before that cocaine would be mentioned every song

I got that I Shot Reagan record a while back and it was way better than the new album. The cuts on it seemed more thought out to me and the title track wasn't trying to be something it wasn't, which is how the new shit comes across to me.

Obviously their shit is going to be on the thug/drug/mean-mug/bust-slugs tip but I thought it might expand into other areas. It didn't. It was wack.

Oh well, they win since I wasted money on it. Props to them.

This Albulm is way better than most of the crap that is out there. So what they didnt support in detail the facts or whatever. What other hiphop groups actually have meaning to their songs. Non-Phixion is a dope group, they are not writing essays for english, they are entertaining us. I dont care if they dont suport their thesis.

Guest Can you sign my book???

I like it...Its bangin....And why would they put I shot Reagan on the album, it came out like 4 years ago....I dont even think they put it out on the bootleg mixtape...I dont need an explanation for everything they say...The question is, is it possible to be a thug, and intelligent at the same time...I think they pull it off...

fuck it...its entertaining and pleasing to the ears...jay z doesnt have the most decent lyrics either but damn if its not some great music

music provides entertainment....books provide education

a lot of these silly ass backpackers would be a lot more tolerable if they understood that.....

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by TonySuprano

What other hiphop groups actually have meaning to their songs?

Off the top I can think of:

Common

The Roots

Talib

Pete Rock and CL Smooth

Aceyalone

De La Soul

Mass Influence

Mr. Lif

Yeshua

Sage Francis

A bunch of the other Anticon guys

Grouch

Mystik Journeymen & Living Legends

Ras Kass

Some old Killah Priest

Organized Konfusion and even a few Pharoah Monche cuts

BDP

Aesop

Outkast

Jeru

Gangstarr

Etc...

I agree with Boogie Hands. Music is just entertainment and books are for education. But when a music group tries to educate (or throws out a bunch of comments that seem to be in the interest of enlightening people or revealing "how it is") and does a half-assed job it becomes less entertaining and more annoying. At least to me. When I listen to stuff like that I have a hard time getting past the lyrics I don't like and just nodding my head. It reminds me of watching a movie with bad acting.

I personally only wear a backpack when I need to carry shit that won't fit in my hands.

Originally posted by Ted Wakowski

Off the top I can think of:

Common

The Roots

Talib

Pete Rock and CL Smooth

Aceyalone

De La Soul

Mass Influence

Mr. Lif

Yeshua

Sage Francis

A bunch of the other Anticon guys

Grouch

Mystik Journeymen & Living Legends

Ras Kass

Some old Killah Priest

Organized Konfusion and even a few Pharoah Monche cuts

BDP

Aesop

Outkast

Jeru

Gangstarr

Etc...

Ill give you Aesop Rock, Grouch Sage, Talib,Roots and Common. Those are given,.

But Ras Kass..COme one his songs mean muthing. he just says lots of words that rhyme. Outkast. The songs sound dope,. But they dont mean shit. Killah Priest. Ohhhmyy.. come one thats like saying Ghostface makes sence when he says .."Peace bushes, trees Hello" Mr. Lif ..nah...Aceyalone..i love him...but those songs dont have meaning. All balls dont bounce...What the hell is the meaning in that?

talib smart? haha he punched a girl in the face last night ..so now hes getting sued.. real smart... talib is about as interesting as watching a blank screen and is more idiotic than anything else or atleast..thats how if view him now after his punching of a woman...and his "stance on non violence"-

anyone can sound smart..it takes a big word here and there-

not many pull it off.

I think the album is quite ill.....they all come well and althought they all talk about basically the same topic they still bring something differenrt to hiphop which beats listening to either "poetic" or b"bling bling" bull shit songs. And to Ted Wakowski saying that they dont talk about anything meanigful is bullshit. U put down BDP and fuckin Outkast down as meanigful groups...haha....and as far as sage francis and aesop rock and anticon mc's....THATS ALL THE SAME OLD TRENDY COFFEE HOUSE UNDERGROUND BULLSHIT. But really this album is quite ill and Necro puts it down on the beats better than anyone else...Id say if u had to download or just check out two tracks I would check out say goodbye to yesterday and there is no future....All in all Non Phixion delivers a message which is the equivalent to a watered down necro but with better flow, delivery, and a bit more variety.TWO THUMBS UP

-:D :D :D :D

Guest Ted Wakowski
But Ras Kass..COme one his songs mean muthing.

The Evil That Men Do. Ordo Abchao. Nature of the Threat...

Outkast. The songs sound dope,. But they dont mean shit.

Synthesizer. Art of Storytelling 1. Mrs. Jackson...

Killah Priest. Ohhhmyy.. come one thats like saying Ghostface makes sence when he says .."Peace bushes, trees Hello"

From Then Till Now. BIBLE. Mystic City. Blessed Are Those...

Aceyalone..i love him...but those songs dont have meaning

A Book of Human Language. The entire record was a concept album with each song explaining Acey's views on human interaction.

No meaning?

sage francis and aesop rock and anticon mc's....THATS ALL THE SAME OLD TRENDY COFFEE HOUSE UNDERGROUND BULLSHIT

Why is it bullshit? It's trendy because it's something new that's catching on. I can recall a time when bumping shit like Non Phixion, rocking North Face and claiming thug status was "all the rage." But die-hard heads are still living like that while the popular underground trend has moved on to this coffee shit you're talking about. It'll be gone soon enough. Hip hop fads are short-lived.

I hadn't heard about that Talib shit. If that's true it sucks for him. Either way, his stuff has definitely had some profound "meaning" at times beyond the typical scope of generic hip-hop topics that people are entertained by (guns, bitches, bragging, money, anti-cop sentiment, materialism), since that's what this discussion's about. Seems like a good discussion too.

I'm off to hug a tree.

Guest Wilt

dont diss sage and aesop..just because it doesn't hit home to you doesn't mean others dont understand...peep out Sage Francis "inherited scars" you'll know then...

but thats what the fastforward button is for

first of all, invest in a cd player

second, all songs have meaning, you people are pretty loose suggesting that the only people who have meaning to their songs are the people whose views are similiar to yours... everything has meaning, i think that's a given... whether you agree with it, understand it, or relate to it, well that's something else... i might as well not knock what most of you seem to like (even though i usually do,) but i think there's a growing tendency to tune out the main stream simply because it's the main stream... if you open your ears you might find shit you like in unlikely places...

outkast is fresh, but i thought "atliens" was the peak of their shit personally, and as for ghostface, he's just nasty (i didn't even realize that was debatable)

i think a lot of that other shit mentioned is the life soundtrack for backpackers that get beat-up a lot... more later

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by MARLBORO RED

all songs have meaning,

Meaning is an ambiguous idea in itself. The type of meaning being referred to throughout this thread is, I guess, a theme or a core idea that's being expressed through a song, rather than just rambling on from line to line, topic to topic, without ever really seeing that theme or idea through lyrically.

Non Phixion's new cuts do have meaning, the thing I wasn't feeling about them is that lack of follow through.

I personally like Ghost Face. That shit is just fucking entertaining. I've laughed out loud at some of the completely random, over the top, blatant non-sequitors he's spat with authority. There's a dude that transcends making sense and just interprets the ink blot.

that's the shit that makes ghostface fresh, he's interpretive... it's not meaningless simply becase it's not spelled out for you, he's combining a lot of really vivid imagery... you can't sleep on him... as for your comments about meaning, you're probably wrong...

most people on this board's definition of meaning has nothing to do with a theme or a core idea being presented consistently and clearly throughout a song, otherwise they'd be referencing a lot of other people who are masters at storytelling and conjuring up an image (biggie, slick rick, kool g rap, nas, pac) basically, most of you are taking the stance that if it's the material isn't consistent with your thoughts or beliefs, than it's meaningless... bottom line is that a lot of you are probably pretty young, and weren't really put on to most of this shit until recently when you decided that aesop rock was cooler than the pumpkins (lol) but either way you slice it, everything is relative...

Guest Ted Wakowski

No doubt, no doubt.

Once again, "meaning" floats in ambiguity.

After reading the shit you wrote, I guess saying it's just coming out with a theme or core idea is too limited. The "meanings" I was trying to point out, to get even more anal, definitely don't have to be down with my own beliefs. I personally think a lot of what Ras Kass spits is arrogant, one-sided bullshit but he keeps it pretty thorough, and seems to really iron out what he wants to present a head listening to his stuff, which is why I used him as an example vs. the Non Phixion shit. Same with most of the other cats I mentioned.

Also, I was talking about a meaning beyond the "typical scope of generic hip-hop topics that people are entertained by (guns, bitches, bragging, money, anti-cop sentiment, materialism)" -- to quote my self from one of those other nerdy posts I hold it down with.

arrogant, one-sided bullshit but he keeps it pretty thorough, and seems to really iron out what he wants to present a head listening to his stuff

exactly ted, the issue that should be debated is not the content, but the way in which it's presented... in every genre of music, and hip-hop music more specifically, there are all kinds of different beliefs, attitudes, view-points, etc, etc, etc... to put it in the simplest of terms, the question is not what they say, but how they're saying it... listen to cnn, their subject matter rarely varies, but they're fresh regardless...

and i understood that that was the definition of meaning that people were working with on here as it pertains to hip-hop :

---meaning beyond the "typical scope of generic hip-hop topics that people are entertained by (guns, bitches, bragging, money, anti-cop sentiment, materialism)"---

but "meaning" is obviously a borad term, just by nature of its definition, and with that said, we are able to assign meaning to anyting and everything, beyond even the artist's intentions... otherwise what would be the point of instrumental music, is it meaningless because it doesn't convey ideas literally?

Archived