lisa left eye lopes dies in car wreck

Santa Claus

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Here's the article for you lazy bastards.

Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes dies in car wreck

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) --Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, member of hip-hop R&B group TLC, was killed in a car accident Thursday in Honduras, her record label reported early Friday.

"We had all grown up together and were as close as a family. Today we have truly lost our sister," said her band members, Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins and Rozanda "Chilli" Thomas, in a statement released by Diggit Entertainment.

Lopes was on vacation in the Central American country where she often visited, said TLC manager Bill Diggins. He received a phone call about 11 p.m. Thursday from authorities in Honduras, reporting the accident. Diggins said seven other people were in the vehicle at the time of the accident and no one else was injured. He was told that Lopes was killed instantly.

"No words can possibly express the sorrow and sadness I feel for this most devastating loss," said Antonio "L.A." Reid, president and CEO of Arista Records, who has known the group for about 10 years. "Lisa was not only a gifted and talented musical inspiration, but more importantly, she was like a daughter to me. My thoughts and prayers are with Lisa's family and friends. Her legacy will be remembered forever."

Lopes would have turned 31 next month, according to her Web site.

Funeral arrangements were pending. The service is scheduled to take place in Atlanta.

Lopes recently launched her solo career with the album "Supernova," released internationally earlier this year. She rose to stardom as a member of TLC -- named for the members' initials -- with hits such as "Waterfalls," "Baby, Baby, Baby" and "No Scrubs."

Lopes also gained notoriety in 1994, when she set fire to the Atlanta-area mansion she shared with football-player beau Andre Rison. Seven years later, the couple planned to marry, but the wedding was called off at the last minute.

Lopes, known for her rap verses in many of TLC's hit songs, played on her nickname by covering her left eye with a condom in the band's early years as a symbol of safe sex. Later, she underscored her left eye with black paint like a football player.

TLC had been recording a new album in an Atlanta studio for release later this year.

-- CNN Producer Denise Quan contributed to this report

Guest willy.wonka

yeah..as a fan of lefteye..for what reasons i do not know of

im saddened to hear that she has gone away......

my homegirl told me over the phone..and when you hear rumors of famous people,they tend to be true...

i think shes a beutiful girl..i always loved her...:o

Lisa "Lefteye" Lopes is Dead at Age 31

TLC Singer Lisa Lopes Killed in Car Crash

By TANIA FUENTEZ

.c The Associated Press

ATLANTA (April 26) - Lisa ''Left Eye'' Lopes, the effervescent, sometimes volatile rapping member of the Grammy-winning trio TLC, was killed in a car crash in Honduras, her record company said early Friday.

Lopes, who would have turned 31 next month, was in the Central American nation for a vacation, Arista Records' senior vice president of publicity Laura Swanson told The Associated Press. Lopes was reportedly among seven people in the car Thursday night and the only fatality.

''No words can possibly express the sorrow and sadness I feel for this most devastating loss,'' said Arista president L.A. Reid, who helped shape the career of the Atlanta-based R&B group, one of the best-selling female groups in history.

''Lisa was not only a gifted and talented musical inspiration, but more importantly, she was like a daughter to me. My thoughts and prayers are with Lisa's family and friends. Her legacy will be remembered forever.''

The location of the car crash was not immediately determined. It was unclear whether she was wearing a seatbelt.

TLC, which also includes Tionne ''T-Boz'' Watkins and Rozonda ''Chilli'' Thomas, were the group behind such hits as ''Waterfall,'' ''No Scrubs'' and ''Unpretty.'' Their latest album was ''FanMail.''

''We had all grown up together and were as close as a family,'' the surviving bandmates said in a statement Friday. ''Today we have truly lost our sister.''

The group made its debut in 1992 with the disc ''Ooooooh ... On the TLC Tip!'' Their unique sound, which paired Watkins and Thomas' vocals with Philadelphia-born Lopes' fast-paced, squeaky-voiced rhymes, made them an immediate sensation, along with their baggy, condom-attached wardrobe.

In 1994, they returned with ''CrazySexyCool'' - Lopes was dubbed the ''crazy'' member of the group, Thomas the ''sexy'' one and Watkins the ''cool'' one. The quadruple platinum album saw the women abandon their sometimes gimmicky image to evolve into a critically acclaimed group. The disc included the No. 1 hit ''Creep'' and won them the first two of their four Grammy Awards.

But with success came enough turmoil to fill a VH1 ''Behind the Music'' special. The trio declared bankruptcy a few years ago, citing poorly structured recording contracts.

In 1994, Lopes pleaded guilty to arson in a fire that destroyed the mansion of former Atlanta Falcons receiver Andre Rison, her boyfriend. Lopes was sentenced to a halfway house and five years probation, plus a $10,000 fine.

Lopes admitted she started the fire after an argument with Rison. The mansion was valued at more than $1 million. The two later broke up, only to reunite and break up again. However, last year they announced plans to marry.

Watkins was hospitalized several times, suffering from sickle cell anemia, a serious blood disease, and infighting among group members also was reported. In 2000, after the release of the triple-platinum disc ''Fanmail,'' Lopes publicly challenged Watkins and Thomas to put out solo albums, and let fans determine who was the most popular group member.

But in an interview with the AP later that year, Watkins dismissed talk of a serious rift.

''With three women, you agree to disagree. I'm not always going to agree with Lisa and she's not always going to agree with me, that's fine,'' she said.

TLC had been on hiatus, but had recently been in the studio working on a new record due to have been released this year. Lopes had tried to release her own album last year called ''Supernova''; It was released internationally by Arista, but poor radio support for the record caused the project to be shelved in the United States.

Within in past few months, Lopes reportedly signed a solo deal with Suge Knight's Death Row label to put out a solo project under the pseudonym, ''N.I.N.A.'' (New Identity Not Applicable). She also helped start the group ''Blaque,'' an R&B trio who had the hit ''Bring It Home To Me.''

Arista spokeswoman Laura Swanson said that Lopes went frequently to Honduras to vacation.

''She just found it really peaceful and tranquil, and it was a very special place for her,'' she said.

Her manager has flown to Honduras to bring her body back to the United States, Swanson said.

AP-NY-04-26-02 0608EDT

Guest ><////*>

there are rumors going around that she was dating suge knight.. money disputes.. suge is just bad news all around... etc etc.. you get the idea.

Guest dukeofyork

even though i wasnt a fan of tlc....i still thought damn...another one gone...

what the fuck is going on here???

Archived