designing clothes, etc

mapo wc

im now living in a nice house with some friends getting ready to go to college. one thing ive been giving serious thought about going into is designing clothes. i eventually want to have my own company - hip-hop clothes like mecca, pnb nation, enyce, etc. Ill have to work my way up to that, and start by designing for other companies.

Obviously people in graffiti are artistic and I remember one person on here saying they used to work for Tribal. Im sure other people have designed clothes or something.

Whats my best route? Could I get away with going to a university or do I HAVE to go to some design/art academy? Any info/experience/advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

On the graf tip, I visited the legal wall in Gainesville (and Im not blowing up spots since its fucking legal!), and I wrote 'Dont join the military! HELL!' across some weird thing that looked like an Air Force ad. I got a flick and Ill scan it when I can. Just doin my part to save the children...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest MR BOJANGLES
Originally posted by Agt. Adopus

Capitalist pig. go drown your self in your clorine pool while "sporting" your nice clothes.

hahahahahaha...wow.

Guest --zeSto--

I think everyone thought at one time that it would be 'cool' to have

a clothing company. I know a guy who seriously believes he will.

Here's the thing, nobody will wear your shit unless it's better than they can do.

(unless you're planning on selling fubu at the mall)

As a writer, I'd never wear anything, even just a hand,

below my own level of quality. Think JNCO... bah

Guest Agt. Adopus

Yeah once your done exploiting culture you can exploit little indonesion kids to make the appreal it'll be great!!! Your parents will be so proud!

OINK OINK OINK FUCKING PIG!

Guest --zeSto--

I'd like to design glasses.

Simply because I dont like any of them out there.

But I dont even wear glasses...

so sunglasses then.

If you wanna design for some company I'd say go to an art school. If you want to do your own stuff, I'd say go to an art school (obviously you don't have to, but its a good place to get your learn on). If you can't afford to go to an art school, go to a college that has a good design department.

I've got my own company and its not easy, but it can be done.

i want to start to get into stitching clothes together. some of my friends (girls or boys) have really good bodies that would make it really easy for me to design shit that looks good. i'm not thinking about logo type shit, but just sewn together stuff.

i did the whole logo thing for awhile in 10th grade. it was too much work and didnt really pay off. i figure it'll be fun to sit down w/ a bag of scrap clothes and stitch something together for my friends.

Man, I wish I could say, but that is just too much info. Shits a direct link to who I am. I'll just say its non team based sports related. A thing to remember is doing work for other people is part of getting extra money to make your own shit. yeah, you might hate it, but it allows you to do what YOU want. Just make sure you get the client to sign off on the final sheet. And make sure that there is a disclaimer saying if they approve it then they can't fuck with you and have to pay you. Fuckers will try and get anything for free nowadays.

Guest GEAsusONEnep

Designing my own line of clothes always sounded appealing to me. What I would do is get a whole bunch of heads/little stores together that live in major cities and hook them up with some free shit you made in your mom's basement then once you get some skrilla together just blow the fuck up. Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about but I have been putting some thought into this too.

Capitalist pig. go drown your self in your clorine pool while "sporting" your nice clothes.

Shut up.

"Yeah once your done exploiting culture you can exploit little indonesion kids to make the appreal it'll be great!!! Your parents will be so proud!"

i dissagree, why is it exploiting culture if you make origianl cool designs? and hey, if graff and all of its culture and influence on art, music, and lifestyle is OUR culture, why would it be exploitation to try to do what you love for a living?? if some fan or corperate exec did it, fine i agree. but when its done out of love for what you do, thats what i call chasing your dreams, and i rather do that and fail, then never try and conform to a life that i know aint for me!

Guest Stoney Blaze

You really don't need to go to school.

It's all in your skills.

I've never went to art school and I've worked for DC comics for 4 years and just got a contract to do t-shirt, logos and patch designs for 'Caffiene'.

Your skills and work abilities will beet out a diploma all the time when it comes to art and design. For real.

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/Stoney_Blaze/stoneyblaze.jpg'>

The important thing is to be ultra-productive. Have lots of stuff ready to sell or print.

Good luck on your venture.

Originally posted by Stoney Blaze

You really don't need to go to school.

It's all in your skills.

Very true. You definitely don't have to go to school if you already have the skills. If you don't have the skills then I think that an art specific school will help develop them better than anywhere else. Its all about your book. If your lucky and are actually naturally talented then your levels above everyone to begin with.

luck brotha..

Guest Agt. Adopus

Ask yourself a simple question:

Why do you do you're art? Because it's something you are passionate about, or because you can make money on it.

Guest Stoney Blaze

Ask yourself a simple question:

Why do you do you're art? Because it's something you are passionate about, or because you can make money on it.

You gotta have passion. This above all else enables you to advance your skills as well as make money.

Fuck the money really. But still...you gotta eat.

Archived