graffiti complaints.....

Guest mafIAkilla

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i mean you just take everything as it is and for what it is. theres always going to be things we dont like. but that is also life. graffiti isnt hip hop just as much as it is hip hop. its just that the hip hop culture has embraced graff writers as their medium for self expresion(the visual part).lots of rock and punk bandsa also have graff in their videos now. wait i just thopught of something i hate graffiti in the media. becaus eall it does is make us feel like its ok but then they arrest us for the same shit. fuck them and fuck you. graffiti is what you make of it whether it be just doing books or writing ur school notes in a handstyle its whutever makes YOU happy. fuck everyone else.

Originally posted by Smart

no, it didn't. learn your history...

YEAH......... YEAH......... and blood will come out.

HIP HOP and graff go nice together but esentially they have little to do with each other. The "elements" are a hoax created by the government to control your every thought.........................yeah...... and blood still comes out.

CAPS........ what is history? I liked Micheal Jacksons album......HIS-STORY.

I have come to hate, or at least question a number of things about Graf

I don't agree with graf as hip hop for several reasons

1. Almost everyone I know got into graf via skateboarding and punk culture, maybe that's because I'm new school, but somehow I think it's deeper than that. A lot of old schoolers were listening to Zepplin, and Hendrix as far as I can tell. Ozzy seems to be a big one as well. I wasn't there, but that's my take on it.

2. This whole "keep it real" thing has been bastardized to a point where keep it real now requires that you "keep it fake as hell", and emulate. Spray paint and piecing in general began as a giant experiment, and yet if you try to experiment further, it is generally met with disdain, granted you should be able to rock traditional styles before trying to move the ball forward, and yet that task was a whole lot easier in the old school days when traditional styles consisted of simple scrawled names, nevertheless.

3. Nobody else in Hip Hop could give less of a shit about graf aside from some trueschool heads. To be a real writer you have to hit the streets, risk life and limb, and lawsuits. To be a real DJ you have to hang out in your basement making mix tapes and go record shopping on a sunny Saturday afternoon. To be an MC you have to play shows, drink free beer and get jocked by chicks, and leave the show without helping to clean up. We don't have the opportunity to expand personally because our choice of subculture leaves us constantly bastardized. I consider myself a much better artist than most of those assholes, but so fucking what.

I hate the way writers banter on about what rebels they are, and the politics of fame, as well as how many writers are put on a pedistal and everything they do is met with ass kissing complements.

1. A bomber is a rebel in legal terms, but most hardcore bombers I know have more thematic links to a heart-attack prone CEO than to the roots of graf culture. I respect bombers a whole lot and I try to get up even though I'm admittedly chicken shit. I really feel for bombers who can't piece. I know so many who are hooked on bombing, but no longer in an innocent and fun way. If you love bombing, then go crazy. If you are a 24 year old mooching off welfare and bombing everyday simply because you are petrified of falling off, I feel for you. Some bombers are slaves to something which ultimately means nothing more than some ghetto fame and some life long legal beef.

2. I don't think it's fair overall to believe that every famous writer deserves to be so. Most famous writers become surrounded by sycophants who enevitably gain notoriety for their artwork despite the fact that they are only getting press because they lick the balls of somebody who earned their respect the hard way. Even those who earn their respect the hard way should be subjected to constructive criticism. No offense to this site, but it seem to bring about ridiculous jocking of certain writers and prejudicial dismissal of newcomers outside of the super cool graf cliques.

3. The whole issue of calling cats "art fags". I use this term as well, but lets face facts: Almost everybody in this scene is a total and complete art fag, the one's who deny it the most are the biggest ones it seems. We cover it up with creative jargon, to make it seem hardcore but deep down inside "that shit's fucking ill", could just as easily be read as "golly, your artwork is super neat, way to go" I don't mind the hardcore thing, but don't lose sight of the facts. The bullshit which makes us scoff at the contemporary art scene is alive and well within graffiti communities....politics often replaces rational thought.

4. Double standards: Nazi writers who feel that they have the god given right to do whatever they want , and yet expect that order be maintained for them. If you write on a bridge which took 3 months to construct, you can't very easily turn around and give somebody shit for covering a piece which took you 3 hours with something that took 3 seconds. If you've got a problem with it, imagine how the construction workers feel. They're probably out looking to kick your ass. Do what you've got to do, but keep the bigger picture in mind from time to time.

5. If everybody is so for real, why the hell are you looking so hard for support. You are obviously insecure and simply want to be appreciated, so drop the bullshit. Don't shit on other people for doing what they do, just surround yourself with cats who have similar goals and opinions and understand and appreciate one another. By shitting on other people you are only opening the door to be shit on by other people, which is not what your insecure ass is looking for at all.

I could write a book on this shit, and probably will someday. But that's all for now.

Archived