before you sign up . . .

Mr. Mang

"Military Misconceptions"

Unless you've been living in solitary confinement for the past few years, you have seen (in some form) some of the military's newest propaganda campaign. Many schools have ROTC programs, or at least a recruiter that comes in during lunchtime now and then to try to get people to enlist. We have recruiters that come in during lunch some times at my school. It's always depressing to watch kids wander up and talk to the recruiter. A big part of it is because I used to be one of those kids.

For a long time I wanted to be in the military. I never made the best grades or enjoyed school that much, so I figured the military was the way to go. I wouldn't have to worry about rent and I'd be on my own, I'd get to shoot guns, and it would pay my way toward college. Sounds like a good plan, right? Wrong.

One of the most misguiding things about military recruiting is college money. The fact is that only 35% of recruits receive any education benefits from the military. Commercials are quick to advertise "up to $50,000" for college, but that $50,000 is only in rare cases. A lot of the big money the military gives out for college is only given for unwanted military jobs that aren't transferable in civillian life. Even Vice President Cheney said "The reason to have a military is to be prepared to fight and win wars... it's not a jobs program." when he was the Secretary of Defense. Wasting four years of your life in the military is a high price to pay for a little bit of college money, and a big chance your military job won't help you at all in the real world.

A gimmick the army and navy likes to sell is excitement and adventure. Commercials and brochures show men jumping out of airplanes and shooting m16s or sailing around the world, but probably the only place you are going to shoot guns is a few times at boot camp. In the navy you'll be spending most of your time in a crowded ship, not truly seeing the world. There really is no excitement or adventure in the military unless you happen to qualify to be in the special forces, but even that will get old eventually to most people. Most of your time will be sent getting yelled at and made to do stupid orders. Basically you'll be somebody's bitch for 4 years of your life.

And that is what people don't realize. Signing up for the military is signing your life over. You'll be expected to go fight anywhere in the world, no matter if you agree politically or not. If we decide to go into some country and bomb citizens for oil, you'll be expected to go. If America decides to go fight in another Vietnam situation, you'll be expected to go. Of course, you do have another alternative to fighting ... jail.

Many people like the news and general public want to try to make the military seem to be a really heroic and honorable thing to be involved with. You'll be a defender of freedom in the greatest military in the world! If you talk to most people who were in the military they'll probably tell you it was one of the dumbest things they did. You may be "defending our country's freedom" by spending most of your time doing chores and getting yelled at for no reason at all.

Always be aware of what people are trying to sell to you. The military is no exception. Recruiters will say whatever you want to hear to get you to join. Once you're in, though, you're fucked. There's no way out. So remember, recruiters and flashy ads promising you a future in the military are only tools that are trying to take away and waste 4 years of your young life.

*[Cheney quote, college information, and statistics taken from Objector.org (the Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors website), or more specifically: http://www.objector.org/before-you-enlist/gi-bill.html as well as The War Resisters League http://www.warresisters.org]

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest NoamChomsky

I hate recruiters.They're so fucking transparent.Alot of them,it was obvious to me,couldnt function in the real world.They need someone to regiment their whole fucking day.All the other kids up there were either stupid jingoist sheep,or they were people who dont know what step next to take in life.Hoyah.Ninjas' lead the way.

Archived