SLACK ACTION question

Guest im not witty

Guest im not witty

ive been gathering information about train safety lately, and came across something interesting. id always thought it was safe to ride in cars full of cargo if you rode behind the load, assuming that if it shifted when the brakes were applied the load would move foward. however i found a guy quite adamently ranting about loads being able to shift both ways. i guess anything is possible, but is it not more likely the load would move foward? anyway. long winded question sorry.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Is "Slack Action" still running?

I thought it had been dumped. In any case, you should never, ever put yourself in a position where a load can pin you between it and a bulkhead. Inside of boxcars, ride ON TOP of the load if you can. Of course, it's best to never ride with a load, but realistically, sometimes one must. The only exception to this rule is riding container "well cars," which are fairly safe if you are BEHIND the containers. NEVER IN FRONT OF A LOAD. Slack action has force both ways, but it's a rare circumstance that would cause containers to walk towards the rear of the well car. BTW, the best container car is a TTX 48. NEVER ride a DTTX 53, there is no floor, only a web of steel girders, and it is definately, without question, NOT SAFE. There are a few different companies running container cars, but the TTX company is the biggest. The rule of thumb is "No floor, No ride." Like, DUH. Use common sense. Think "What is the worst possible situation?" "How could this happen?" "How could I avoid it?"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey kabar, just wondering..are the ttx 48 flat any good? so far i've only ridden the ridged but i thought i remembered the flats were without a floor too, but maybe i was just mixed up.. I've seen a lot of ttx 40 in the last year. I wonder if they are replacing the 48 with the 40 so that nobody can ride them anymore.. maybe im just thinking too much once again too.

• 3 weeks later...

Ghostvandal---

You know, I've caught myself thinking the same sort of thing, but the railroad industry doesn't make multi-million-dollar decisions about the design of rail cars based on whether or not tramps can ride them.

Even if they created cars that had absolutely no place to ride, tramps and trainhoppers would invent some sort of hammock rig that would permit them to do so.

Most likely a switch from 48-footers to 40-footers has more to do with the trend in international intermodal freight. We trainhoppers don't really figure into this sort of thing. They are dealing in millions of tons shipped per year. What's a hobo or two?

• 1 month later...

Archived