devils playground

footsoldier

so i just found out about this doc. and it sounds great..unfortunatly i didn't get a chance to see it and dont know when i will...but has anyone else seen it??

Drugs, sex, rock and roll and bowling. Not the words that usually come to mind when we think of those tow-headed Amish kids riding in their parents' buggies in Lancaster County. The world that director Lucy Walker shows us is less like what Harrison Ford saw in Witness and more like the action seen in Blow and Animal House! Walker's Devil's Playground explores a little known rite of passage in the Amish community — Rumspringa. When Amish kids are between ages 16 and 21, and just before they decide if they want to be baptized in their church, they can "run around" for anywhere from several months to several years. And do they ever! Walker earned the trust of several Amish boys and girls and filmed them as they drink beer, use drugs, drive fast cars and sleep around, all things they will be prohibited from doing once they're baptized. Each teenager Walker films struggles with his or her decision. A life of abstinence? Or not. While they decide, they deal drugs to support their habits, have wild parties and go bowling. And the director of Devil's Playground captures it all in a rare, in-depth look at a culture that we have only glimpsed from afar. --Joan Saltzman, John Stuart Katz

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

thats the problem, right now you cant get it anywhere..it played at the philadelphia international film fest, last week and it was sold out so i didnt get to see it...im hoping they show it again, if they dont i have no idea how ill ever get a hold of it.

• 1 year later...

I vaguely remember seeing something like this on tv. It was about a bunch of nerdy ass amish kids going around getting fucked up and havin lots of sex. And they were all confused about getting baptised or whatever and their parents were pressuring them hard to do it. Don't know if its the same thing but it was pretty interesting.

well, im not sure about blockbuster, but i do know that hollywood video carries it. if you seriously have no way of getting it you could send me acouple bucks and i'll record it and send it to you.

i don't know if you would want to trust some asshole on a message board though.

Archived