racing a train...

seeking

so tonight im painting my little lay up. i see a train coming towards me so i hop to the side of the tracks, next to some bushes an watch as it aproaches with my (flashless) camera set up to catch streaking light shots as it rolls by. well, about 50 yards or so from where im sitting is a little cross street that the train must cross over. the train is blowing its horn, the gates have lowered and the red lights are flashing. im watching the train as it comes closer when out of nowhere 'KABOOM' a little white pick up truck comes flying through the intersection, smashes into the gate and jumps over the little bump of tracks... all of this not more than 100 feet before the train crosses... it was like 'WHOA'.

just thought some of you train guys might be amused by such a story.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest railroadjerk

i really first got into trains when i was little going to daycare. both my parents worked, and rather than have me be a latchkey kid, i spent a lot of time in daycare, even after school. a fence separated our playground from a conrail line, and everytime a train rolled through someone would yell "TRAIINNNNN" and we'd all run up to the fence and wave at the engineer and stare at the train as it flew past, oddly enough right through a college campus.

anyway, the road on the other side of the playgrounds automated crossing was always on the fritz. it would come down even when no train was coming, and many people in the area driving i think caught onto this and would just drive through it. i remember how we'd watch and see if a train would just appear and hit a car. morbid curiosity. and needless to say there were a couple close calls.

i dont really know why i told this story, but i thought it was a funny insight as to why i like trains so much. thanks conrail.

im with you.

my dad's always played softball on leagues and stuff, so when i was a little kid, i basically grew up on baseball fields. many of which happen to sit next to rail road tracks. i too would run next to the tracks every single time i heard the whistle blowing. our game was too see how close we could get to the tracks without freaking out and running away. not a real smart game i guess but whatever. so we'd stand as close to the train as we dared and throw rocks at it.

tonight i had to walk through that baseball field and down those tracks to get to my lay up. call it the sentimental sucker in me, but it always makes me feel like a kid...

anyone else ever get scared everytime the train rolls past? for instance this lay up tonight, trains pass by pretty frequently so in the course of a piece, im ducking out 2 or 3 times. i dont care how many times im in the position, every single time that train rolls by me and starts shaking the ground, it freaks me out...

anyone coming to or from new york penn station last tuesday may have been delayed taking nj transit between 3 and 5 pm. some silly girl let herself get hit by a train about 2 blocks from my girlfriend's house...seems like a selfish way to kill yourself...the mess, the conductor...just drink some posion like in the books.:dazed:

Guest TrustEvil

seems everytime i'm at a rail crossing i see some cowboy driving around the gates and just burning through the warning lights....just one day, i want to see one of these motherfuckers get swatted like a mosquito....hopefully i'll have my camera with me and i'll be able to catch really good flicks of all the scattered car parts and human remains.

People really don't seem to understand the power behind a locomotive, either that or their life is just so worthless that they don't give a shit if they end up on some conductor's daily hit report. stupid.

id kind of like to watch someone just drive smack into a train as it was crossing the intersection. not even trying to beat the train, just paying no god damn attention at all and just driving right into the side of a speeding boxcar.

i think that would be kinda funny.

why just today i did the same dumb thing...i was on a side of a long ass train in st. louis that i had just benched and it was leaving the yard...shit was too long to wait for so i beat that fucker to the drop bars and went around em....im not one for crashing em though...audi parts are steep....

also other occupants of vehicle dont seem to trust decision....

We had a dude come into our drivers ed class and give us this big lecture about how to be safe around trains. He showed us how a train coming straight twards you is very hard to judge the speed. About 400 people a year in the us are hit by trains. And the thing where people crash into the side of a moving train does happen a lot.

yeah trains are hard to determine the speed and distance down a track. i used to hate when i was painting this underpass, because the only way back was to cross this long ass trussle (rail bridges...im not even sure if thats the correct word for them). so i'd end up being like oh it'll be down here in a sec, waiting for 10 minutes and being like 'damn i shoulda just gone' and then ending up waiting another 5-10 for it to get there and cross.

i was riding a commuter train once when we hit a car... it was a trip... you ever go over a speed bump really fast in car? imagine that feeling, only several times, and in a train... a piece of metal actually fly into and cracked a window a few seats ahead of me... dumb drunk bitch lived (just barely tho) and her sober boyfriend and kid died...

we ended up delayed for 2 hours... this was after being stuck on a subway car for an hour... and the reason i was on the train was cuz my truck broke down far away from home... in order to get back home, i had to take amtrack, and that derailed...

this was all in one weekend-- the hitting some lady and her kid sucked the most, but it was a damn shitty weekend...

anyways, trying to beat the train is dumb...:spent:

i heard on the radio yesterday morning that an 18 wheeler was stopped at the x'ing and a guy came rolling up behind the truck in some small car (the train had gone about 200 ft past the x'ing) and the guy just swerved around the 18wheeler and right into the side of the boxcars.

i think he died.

im gonna pick up a newspaper from yesterday soon so ill have a copy of the story they were talking about...

thats my little addition to 12oz....

Guest Ted Wakowski

I remember an occasion painting those rascally transit trains and getting chased out. I jumped around the end car of a line and landed about twenty feet from another train hauling ass straight towards me with the lights glaring down my corneas. I jumped for my life and nearly landed on one of those pesky third rails. That shit sucked.

• 2 weeks later...

since some of these posts were headed in this direction:

yeah in my town i remember driving past trains every day on the way home from school with my dad. he would always do the arm motion you do to get truckers to blow their horns, and sometimes the conductors would do it. man it made me happy.

and as far as that getting freaked out bit: the more i learn about trains and train safety, the more their power impresses me. like before i would sometimes paint between my line and a passing one to save time. but now the idea seems soo fucking dangerous i could never do it. so basically, yeah i get weirded out to.

things i cant belive i did

we used to play chicken with trains when drunk......at like 12-13

then our friend was murderd by someone shoving him into one....

our lays are quite live....getting pinned with active lines, one being the one your painting and the other a row over is sketchy

and on the other side commuters and freights come through doing at least 80 sometimes every 15 minutes, a 3 mile long(so it seems) line of autoracks screaming past when im hiding between boxcars maybe 8 feet from it is some real shit to be felt and heard, but like i said, i been doing stupid shit in train yards since 12 so.....

Archived