DJING

Guest zion one

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Certain makes of the 1200s are being discontinued. Buy what makes sense.

And T4M... A lot of DJs I know wouldn't think much of holding together two records made of synched up beats for a couple or even minutes at a time. Cats back in the 80s were blending live element records for a couple minutes at a time or know exactly when to mix out of a certain break that made sense musically.

Okay so I this is the most recent thread I could find on DJ'ing. I'm buying my first set of turntables today off a buddy but I have no fucking clue what I'm doing. Any tips? Tricks? Any advice for beginners like me? Please and thank you br0s.

Buy a mixer as well if you don't have one already. You need one to mix. Any basic two channel mixer will work for now. Then buy two of the same records and beat match them til you can basically keep the synced up for at least half the track. Then start buying other tracks and beat mix them as well. Also learn how to mix in key if you can. Music must make sense. Buy records that have just the "beats."

Also YouTube will help you greatly if you search it properly..

Good luck and don't ever fucking think you're doing anything that hasn't been done and done by better DJs than you will ever be.

its tough. I for one cant do that, blend in songs at a short period of time. I only do that for my intros, but do them before hand. I also dont utilize the entire song, maybe a verse and the chorus and blend in the next song, it really depends on your crowd, another factor.

Some of the skills I use are loops, Samples, Scratches, breaks, and occasionally use the mic to switch the theme.

I'm thankful most of the parties I go to never have anyone get on the mic. No offense to you.

Of course it depends on the style you play. There are hip-hop DJs who couldn't blend two house tracks to save their lives and of course house DJs who couldn't scratch and itch.

I'm out.

Here is some quick notes.

BPM - Beats Per Minute aka Pitch aka Tempo. First learn how to count beats and beat match. Once each song is playing at the same BPM, the rest should be easy.

CUE - Having a song at a certain point in time. Some songs have people talking right away in the beginning and the beat comes afterwords. Make CUEs.

Here is a quick Sample.

http://www.divshare.com/download/13246524-726

The songs are Beat Matched and CUEd. In the Beginning, i demonstrate the two songs. then i blend them together.

After wards, i show you each separate song, by going back and foward. Then I blend them together, making it flawless for you to catch that its two songs playing together.

i'm thinking about getting serato. i like being a vinyl snob, but it's hard to find a lot of shit that's either old and rare or new and not pressed. especially now that i wanna incorporate some dubstep into the rotation.

all i can say is get a basement. one thing that helped me, and was a pain in the ass, was labeling every record's bpm(s). i'd link my beat counter i wrote in vb but i don't feel like looking up the url.

Okay so I this is the most recent thread I could find on DJ'ing. I'm buying my first set of turntables today off a buddy but I have no fucking clue what I'm doing. Any tips? Tricks? Any advice for beginners like me? Please and thank you br0s.

What kind of music are you trying to play?

A good way to learn beat matching is to buy two of the same records and play with mixing back and forth from the two. If you're trying to get all turntabalist, do the same thing. You can go on Youtube and see plenty of tutorials on the crab, the transformer, and other goofball names that nerds have made up for scratch techniques.

The most important part of any of it, is that you're playing music you love. Just start collecting and learn your records. Then start playing in your house, listening to your mixes, and you'll learn more about anything by doing that. You'll find mixes by listening to your mistakes.

If you don't want to be a mix master douchebag, don't let the snobby DJ fucks get you down. Just keep doing what you're doing, play a house party, and if the people like what you're doing --you're doing it right. Playing records doesn't have to be a cookie cutter thing, so just play what you want, how you want to do it, and develop your own style.

Archived