is graffiti hip hop???

i'mlost

ok. just wondering what everyone's take on graff being part of hip hop is. for example, graff is supposed to be one of the four elements of hip hop. but, it just doesn't seem to belong. yes, all of the four elements have underground subcultures but, graff is the only element that is illegal. noone has ever gotten arrested for spinning on their head or battling anybody. i'm not saying graff doesn't belong and i'm not saying it does . i'm just wondering what everyone thinks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

LET'S SETTLE THIS SHIT AS BEST WE CAN. FIRST OFF, WE'LL GIVE CREDIT TO HIP HOP FOR BEING THE FIRST GENRE OF MUSIC TO ACTUALLY IN MANY REGARDS TAKE GRAFF UNDER IT'S UMBRELLA. SECONDLY, WE SHOULDN'T DENY THE FACT THAT MANY OF THE GREAT KINGS/PIONEERS THAT PLAGUED NY SUBWAYS AND THOUGHTFULLY DECORATED THE WALLS IN THE PAST WOULD LATER EMBRACE HIP HOP. BUT FASTFORWARD TO THE PRESENT... NOWADAYS GRAFF HAS "FURTHER" EVOLVED INTO WHAT IT STOOD FOR DECADES AGO. NOW THERE'S WRITERS WHO REPRESENT ALL TYPES OF MUSIC BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY COME TOGETHER IN OPPOSITION TO SOCIETY'S BULLSHIT "NORMS." I LOVE PUNK, METAL, REGGAE, AND EVEN A LITTLE RAP BUT IN NO WAY DOES THAT ALIENATE ME FROM MY "TRUE" GRAFF COUNTERPARTS. THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF OUR CULTURE. SO MANY SOCIAL, ETHNIC, AND RELIGIOUS BACKGROUNDS. FUCK THE RACISM/SOCIAL AND ECONMICAL HATRED/AND OVERALL BULLSHIT CREEPING INTO THE CULTURE. IF YOU CAN'T, GIVE GRAFF UP AND GO JOIN ONE OF THE MANY RIGHT/LEFT WING GROUPS IN AMERICA. LEAVE GRAFF FOR THOSE OF US WHO WANT TO GIVE THAT BULLSHIT AND SOCIETY THE BIG "FUCK YOU" EVERY TIME WE WRITE OUR NAME ON A WALL.

Graffiti has nothing to do with hiphop......id say its its own element prolly 90+% of the writers are non hiphop so it should be non hiphop i hate when people try to act like it is a part....then i get mad :) but i gotta admit the hip hop beats sound the best in graff vids heh w/e it wont ever matter if it is or isnt :confused:

Guest ctrl+alt+del

graff has to do with self. nothing more. shit how many topics on graff and hip hop are there? this is in no way an original thread idea.

graf as we know it is an element of hiphop but that doesn't mean it is hiphop.

and also those that keep talking about oh yeah I love hiphop BEATS..blah blah blah are dumbasses. Hiphop isn't a musical genre, it's a culture, the music is an element of hiphop.

one could say that wearing leather and drinking is an element of punk (let the war begin) but that doesn't mean that everyone that wears leather and drinks is punk you know?

on the musical tip tho...a lot of cats I know that write aren't what u would call hiphop.

There are many similarities between all the elements of Hip Hop.

Writers draw their work in blackbooks and rappers write their rhymes in notebooks.

Graffiti has crews so do breakdancing, rap, and deejaying.

The only difference between them is that graffiti without permission is illegal.

It doesn't matter if you listen to rock or rap because the music doesn't influence the artwork. Graffiti is included in Hip Hop but that doesn't mean is done solely by rap listeners. I myself listen to heavy metal and rap. It's like graffiti belongs to more than type of genre. It's like a writer that belongs to more than one crew. Just because your in one crew doesn't mean your not in the other(s).

it has the same progression as hip-hop.

it's about improving yourself and finding a positive skill you're comfortable with. in fact, i've dabbled in bboying, mcing, and djing, and...well, breaking and djing aren't really my thing. but i think just about anyone could find a place among the elements. hip-hop isn't just music, it's the voice of the people. all four elements are types of expression. there's mcs that aren't hip-hop (i.e. rap metal, thug rap shit), djs that aren't hip-hop (i.e. ravers), and there's probably breakers that aren't hip-hop somehow too.

all i'm saying is that these elements all came from hip-hop, and some of them branched out, but the richer culture is always at the roots. because that's where the competition and the desire to improve is. you can battle in any four of the elements...it's just about moving up and finding your own style. i think that's why in all elements the participants go by aliases. you leave your birth name and create a self that is judged only by the respect you get from the expression of your skills and philosophies.

ok i'm going to stop ranting.

Originally posted by Fabo 2

Graf has lost the connection it once had to hip hop.

That's not true there are some rappers that incorporate graffiti in their videos by using it as different backgrounds. And there are groups like Dilated Peoples and MCs like KRSone who actually were and probably still are writers.

But hey I'm not trying to fuck with your opinion.

Originally posted by phism

it has the same progression as hip-hop.

it's about improving yourself and finding a positive skill you're comfortable with. in fact, i've dabbled in bboying, mcing, and djing, and...well, breaking and djing aren't really my thing. but i think just about anyone could find a place among the elements. hip-hop isn't just music, it's the voice of the people. all four elements are types of expression. there's mcs that aren't hip-hop (i.e. rap metal, thug rap shit), djs that aren't hip-hop (i.e. ravers), and there's probably breakers that aren't hip-hop somehow too.

all i'm saying is that these elements all came from hip-hop, and some of them branched out, but the richer culture is always at the roots. because that's where the competition and the desire to improve is. you can battle in any four of the elements...it's just about moving up and finding your own style. i think that's why in all elements the participants go by aliases. you leave your birth name and create a self that is judged only by the respect you get from the expression of your skills and philosophies.

ok i'm going to stop ranting.

Trust your not ranting you are actually telling the truth.

Originally posted by SYE

That's not true there are some rappers that incorporate graffiti in their videos by using it as different backgrounds. And there are groups like Dilated Peoples and MCs like KRSone who actually were and probably still are writers.

But hey I'm not trying to fuck with your opinion.

rakim was a writer

and peep the new co. flow song 'end to end burners'

Here in Europe you can say that Graf and Hip Hop is still very much connected. You won't find Graff Videos with Hiphop Beats. Like 95% of the Writers listen to HipHop. Otherwise, you will often find Pieces and Tags in HipHop Videos. The Artists name is so often Tagged on the cover and so on...

Guest willy.wonka

yes, i believe so...but i feel that hip hop has evolved into a hmmmmm..how can i say culture,but not really be talkin about hip hop?

art music..love..its all the same to me.

Archived